Menu

What would you do if your 7 yo told you his friend was making racist comments?

Halcyon

Just want to get the Hive's opinion on this. My 7 yo told me this evening that one of his friends in afterschool (he goes 2 days a week while I work) made racist comments about African Americans to him. DS was quite upset, and argued with her about it.

Reaction? WWYD, if anything? What advice would you give to your child?

Just want to get the Hive's opinion on this. My 7 yo told me this evening that one of his friends in afterschool (he goes 2 days a week while I work) made racist comments about African Americans to him. DS was quite upset, and argued with her about it.

Reaction? WWYD, if anything? What advice would you give to your child?

Honestly, I think your kid is doing great, if he challenged what this kid said. Many adults won't do that.

I wouldn't get involved unless it got ugly.

My daughter at age 10 once took on an adult who was attempting to convince daughter that this woman's alternative beliefs were more accurate. I was nearby in the dance studio and didn't say a word. I was really proud of her for challenging this woman on that point (she did it respectfully).

I would consider reporting it to the afterschool program. They like to nip that kind of thing in the bud. Good for your ds for disputing it! Sometimes kids that young repeat things they've heard without understanding the meaning, so I woud think of it more as a teachable moment. (One hopes the afterschool would see it that way.)

I would tell my ds how proud I was of him, that he did exactly the right thing. I've no idea about how afterschool programs are set up, etc, but if it's something that could be a potential bullying issue, or that they'd address by educating, I'd give them a head's up.

Sad part is, you know the kid isn't the root of the problem. He learned it from someone.