Menu

To call the orthopedist or not (tomorrow a.m.)

LisaKinVA

DD (10) got in the car from swimming, went through her swim & dry-land workout and underscored repeatedly that her arm hurt...bad. We got home, she carried in her stuff, and was then in tears...holding her arm in a very protective manner. This would be an overuse injury (one-arm planks), and not from a fall or something like that.

There is tenderness when you touch it in a couple of spots, and a little swelling. The pain is in the middle of her wrist, and at the end of her ulna (forearm bone that ends at the wrist on the side with her pinkie) I put her in my rigid brace (nothing tight, just to give it some protection/stability overnight). I'm treating it like I would bursitis, a sprain, or a stress fracture.

I've read that the location of the injury is why it should be seen, not the severity...so I'm leaning towards calling an orthopedist in the morning. Am I being silly? I wouldn't call if this had happened to me, but then I'm a fully-grown adult who has been treated for these kinds of things, and my bones aren't still growing...

Thoughts from anyone who may have BTDT?

It sounds like tendonitis to me. I would ice it a couple of times. If that helps, I would not go in unless it is still bothering her after a few days. Tendonitis can cause swelling and tenderness to the touch. Of course a broken bone can as well. I have a gymnast and a swimmer, so we know our way around the orthopedist's office, but we also are a "shake it off" kind of family. I recognize thay many well-adjusted, loving families may have a lower tolerance such things.

Terri