Menu

Do we have any diving moms here?

C_l_e_0..Q_c

My middle dd just left the sport. She missed dance. She was working 2 1/2 hours 4 days a week. Her lack of gymnastics background was starting to hurt her progress. She was a beautiful diver (5 years) but could never get enough height for doubles etc. to be honest, I hated diving. I had t turn my head for many of her dives. If you are not at the right angle it sure looks like your kid is going to the hit board. I teased her that she was giving me a heart condition.

I thought scuba when I read your title but my guess is you are talking diving into a pool. Dd is to young for either but dh and I are scuba certified.

I thought scuba, too, and was going to post, but then I wondered about competition diving, because in Quebec, I wouldn't imagine scuba being too much fun unless one wore a dry suit and those are a pain! lol.gif

Yes, I meant competitive diving, and by 'diving moms' I meant moms of competitive divers ;-)

My daughter switched to diving last year after 6 years of competitive gymnastics. Last year was tough as she had to unlearn a lot of things. But now the coach is talking about sending her national like next year possibly!, and she has yet to do a single competition. (she will soon though).

I was wondering if that was the norm or not, for a coach to be able to say so much in advance whether a child can go national or not.

I have a diver on the high school swim team. Our pool does not have a board, so she cannot practice with us. She dives in a year round program but they don't go to competitions. Their coach is the local college coach. He was able to predict her place at States rather accurately, so I'd say your dd's coach probably can predict when she might make it to nationals.