What's with the ads?

#1 OtherJohn

OtherJohn

Homonyms Hate Me

• Administrators
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hi all,
We have revamped the buy,sell,& trade section of the site and moved to the "Classifieds". After listening to many suggestions from our members we set out to find a better solution to help our members with the simple ability to buy, sell, and trade. The classifieds section will allow you to post adverts as you could before, but now you will be able to remove them when sale is made. Adverts will also auto-prune themselves after 60 days unless you renew them. We also integrated iTrader into the classifieds so you can rate buyers and sellers.

Earlier today I didn't have the classifieds permissions setup so you could not post new items. But that is now fixed so have at em'!

John

#2 Element

Element

Head Gamemaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1521 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Awesome! Thank you!

#3 TKDmom

TKDmom

Kicks Like a Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

It looks great! I'll have to go try it out. :D

Looking at the way the price shows on the test post, do we list individual items on separate posts? Is there still a limit on how many FS posts we can make in a month?

Edited by TKDmom, 28 November 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#4 ----

----

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

#5 nukeswife

nukeswife

Queen to my collective of 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6691 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I love the look of it and really like that it shows the price on the thumbnail of it. I am curious as the other poster asked, should we now list each item separately?

#6 ILiveInFlipFlops

ILiveInFlipFlops

Hoarder of Blood Orange Mike's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5521 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Oh, hooray! I was just thinking about this this afternoon--I'll have some stuff to list after Christmas. Now I just need to figure out how to work it all.

Thanks John!

#7 OtherJohn

OtherJohn

Homonyms Hate Me

• Administrators
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

You will need to list items separately unless you want to bundle them together. It might be more posts, but it will allow you to manage the sales better.

Unfortunately, I cannot transfer your old stuff over. You will have to create new ones for current items.

There is no limit on how many you can post in a month.

#8 Momma & Mommee

Momma & Mommee

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2275 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

I like this! :)

#9 BatmansWife

BatmansWife

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4660 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Oh my goodness! :ohmy: I'm not sure I like this or completely understand it. I spent literally days getting my ads on the For Sale board last week. I have 4 posts with about 55 items total (more to come) with pictures (not individual pictures either). What do I do now? Am I supposed to go to the Classifieds now and list each thing individually? I can see how this is wonderful if you are searching for something to buy, or if you have a few things to sell....but what if you have A LOT to get rid of? I doubt people are going to want to wade through 50+ ads of mine (and I have more to list!). Gosh....this feels like a nightmare. :crying:

#10 Kathryn

Kathryn

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7759 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Is the old Sale board going to go away? I can view it and it looks like others are posting on it, but it says I can't post on it.

#11 tuckabella

tuckabella

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Is the old Sale board going to go away? I can view it and it looks like others are posting on it, but it says I can't post on it.

I was wondering this as well.

#12 OtherJohn

OtherJohn

Homonyms Hate Me

• Administrators
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

It will be converted to a support forum for the classifieds. I didn't want people starting new sales on it when we now have the classifieds.
John

#13 OtherJohn

OtherJohn

Homonyms Hate Me

• Administrators
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Oh my goodness! :ohmy: I'm not sure I like this or completely understand it. I spent literally days getting my ads on the For Sale board last week. I have 4 posts with about 55 items total (more to come) with pictures (not individual pictures either). What do I do now? Am I supposed to go to the Classifieds now and list each thing individually? I can see how this is wonderful if you are searching for something to buy, or if you have a few things to sell....but what if you have A LOT to get rid of? I doubt people are going to want to wade through 50+ ads of mine (and I have more to list!). Gosh....this feels like a nightmare. :crying:

It's ok ~AprilMay~, you can post it however you want to. There is no strict rules on how to post. It was merely a suggestion. :)

#14 goldberry

goldberry

In a Handbasket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8738 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

It would be nice to have a FREE FOR SHIPPING subforum or area in the classifieds. There is a thread in the For Sale board, but it gets so long it is hard to find anything. Alot of folks would be interested in doing this for Christmas items.
  • bumblesmama likes this

#15 BatmansWife

BatmansWife

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4660 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

It's ok ~AprilMay~, you can post it however you want to. There is no strict rules on how to post. It was merely a suggestion. :)

You freaked me out there for awhile John! :smilielol5:

#16 lorisuewho

lorisuewho

Luke 12:48b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Did everyone lose their feedback in the switch over? I seem to no longer have any feedback.

#17 dsmith

dsmith

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1828 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

It was really easy to post an item for sale, and I love the new look! Thanks!! Did our old feedback get transferred to reputation points? I'm not sure where that number came from and that's the only thing I can think of. I also agree that a free for shipping sub-forum would be great.
  • TGHEALTHYMOM likes this

#18 swimmermom3

swimmermom3

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10024 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I can understand your concerns. Listing 50 historical fiction books would be problematic. If you list them separately, no one can take advantage of combined postage.

The other issue I am experiencing is that the ads are quickly buried and no longer viewed as you can't bump them. I am now on page 8 and there have been no additional views. My guess would be that people who are serious about selling would have to repost every couple of days. I think the best way they would work is if you know exactly what your are looking for.
  • JudoMom likes this

#19 swimmermom3

swimmermom3

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10024 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I can understand your concerns. Listing 50 historical fiction books would be problematic. If you list them separately, no one can take advantage of combined postage.

The other issue I am experiencing is that the ads are quickly buried and no longer viewed as you can't bump them. I am now on page 8 and there have been no additional views. My guess would be that people who are serious about selling would have to repost every couple of days. I think the best way they would work is if you know exactly what your are looking for.

#20 TKDmom

TKDmom

Kicks Like a Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

ooh, I was thinking about buying something that you had posted, but I couldn't find it anymore, so I assumed you'd already sold it. Off to look for your listing again... :)

#21 BatmansWife

BatmansWife

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4660 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

It will be converted to a support forum for the classifieds. I didn't want people starting new sales on it when we now have the classifieds.
John

So, are you saying that soon there will still be the original for sale board in addition to the classifieds? Or will this support forum be as is....with no ability to add to it? I'm asking because....I gotta tell ya that I'm not feelin' the love for the new classifieds...at.all. :001_unsure: I am sorry to have a complaint, because I know you've been working really hard on everything and I appreciate it. I realize that if I post on there, I'll have to post in bulk (more than one item per post) because I have so much to sell. But, potentially I see the classifieds as becoming extremely cluttered. There are only 10 ads per page....and a page could easily be filled with items from one seller....whereas, on the old sale board they probably would have listed all those items in one ad. So, we could be wading through page after page after page of single items for sale. I just don't think this is going to be an improvement over the old for sale board (which I never had a problem with....maybe other than wanting to delete ads).
:leaving:

#22 tuckabella

tuckabella

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

So, are you saying that soon there will still be the original for sale board in addition to the classifieds? Or will this support forum be as is....with no ability to add to it? I'm asking because....I gotta tell ya that I'm not feelin' the love for the new classifieds...at.all. :001_unsure: I am sorry to have a complaint, because I know you've been working really hard on everything and I appreciate it. I realize that if I post on there, I'll have to post in bulk (more than one item per post) because I have so much to sell. But, potentially I see the classifieds as becoming extremely cluttered. There are only 10 ads per page....and a page could easily be filled with items from one seller....whereas, on the old sale board they probably would have listed all those items in one ad. So, we could be wading through page after page after page of single items for sale. I just don't think this is going to be an improvement over the old for sale board (which I never had a problem with....maybe other than wanting to delete ads).
:leaving:

I totally agree. Is there something that we are missing to understand why these classifieds are meant to be better?
  • swimmermom3 likes this

#23 BatmansWife

BatmansWife

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4660 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Did everyone lose their feedback in the switch over? I seem to no longer have any feedback.

Yes, I did. I'm at 0. I don't know what I was at before.....but it was way more than 0. :crying:

It was really easy to post an item for sale, and I love the new look! Thanks!! Did our old feedback get transferred to reputation points? I'm not sure where that number came from and that's the only thing I can think of. I also agree that a free for shipping sub-forum would be great.

Do you mean the number in the green box on your profile? That's how many Likes you get...I don't believe it has anything to do with buyer/seller feedback. If you mean something else when you say "reputation points" then clue me in.

#24 dsmith

dsmith

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1828 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yes, I did. I'm at 0. I don't know what I was at before.....but it was way more than 0. :crying:

Do you mean the number in the green box on your profile? That's how many Likes you get...I don't believe it has anything to do with buyer/seller feedback. If you mean something else when you say "reputation points" then clue me in.

When I look on the classified that I posted yesterday, it says reputation reputation in a box, with the number 10. When I look on my actual profile, it has a box for likes. I'm not really sure what reputation means, but the two numbers are the same. I think I had that much positive feedback before the switch, so I'm assuming that's where the number came from, but I'm just guessing.

#25 dsmith

dsmith

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1828 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

I like to be able to update/edit my sale items. I usually mark an item as pending in red, or sometimes I think of information I forgot to include. I understand that we are able to remove our for sale ads after a sale is complete, but I like the ability to mark it pending or edit an ad. Sometimes the sale will not go through and I am able to line up another buyer. Is there a way that editing can be added? This is a pretty important feature IMHO.
  • Momma4Boys likes this

#26 Jennay

Jennay

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

I wish the old feedback could be transferred over - in addition to losing our own, we now have no way to know if a seller had negative feedback in the past.
  • TN Mama likes this

#27 JudoMom

JudoMom

Disliker of Change

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13495 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I'm also not seeing a way to bump ads, which is a big bummer. Also, I'm not a fan that the ads don't show up in the new posts--that's often the only way I knew I needed something--by seeing the post come up in the New Posts feed. Now I have to remember to check the Classifieds to see if I want anything, and it's just not user friendly to scroll through just few listings at a time. I think as a seller, I'll be getting fewer views this way, too.
  • swimmermom3 and Momma4Boys like this

#28 Kareni

Kareni

BEEn here awhile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15565 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

I appreciate the fact that an opportunity exists here for listing items for sale.

Two questions, OtherJohn:

1. Since I list a variety of books in a given ad, is there a way to show the price as something other than a numerical value such as 'various' or 'not applicable'? The default seems to be 'Free' when something other than a number is used.

2. If a question is posted on a given ad, does the buyer receive notification?

And, I'll join others in saying that I'd love to have my previous feedback restored.

Regards,
Kareni
  • kareng likes this

#29 ----

----

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

#30 kareng

kareng

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

OtherJohn, Is there a way to remove an "old" ad from the old forum (Under For Sale)?

#31 Kareni

Kareni

BEEn here awhile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15565 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

2. If a question is posted on a given ad, does the buyer receive notification?

I believe I can now answer my own question. I see that several of the Notification Preferences pertain to the Classifieds section and allow one to be notified of questions and replies to one's advertisements.

Regards,
Kareni

#32 TN Mama

TN Mama

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4001 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

I wish the old feedback could be transferred over - in addition to losing our own, we now have no way to know if a seller had negative feedback in the past.

This.

#33 swimmermom3

swimmermom3

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10024 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I believe I can now answer my own question. I see that several of the Notification Preferences pertain to the Classifieds section and allow one to be notified of questions and replies to one's advertisements.

Regards,
Kareni

Kareni, could you please post where this is at. It would be appreciated. Thank you.

Other John,

When you have time, could you please post a sticky with classified how-tos? Right now, I feel as though I traded away the farm in order to cancel an ad, which at the moment seems to be the only pro for the new classified. I think I must be missing some fancy steps or a control panel is hidden before my eyes.

Thanks so much.

#34 Blessed with seven

Blessed with seven

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I was wondering this also....I have 0 feedback and i had 100% positive before with a lot of sales :confused1: Would be nice to have that back??? I count on feedback a lot when purchasing.

#35 Kareni

Kareni

BEEn here awhile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15565 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

I see that several of the Notification Preferences pertain to the Classifieds section and allow one to be notified of questions and replies to one's advertisements.

Kareni, could you please post where this is at.

Hello there, swimmermom3,

At the top of the board to the left of your posting name is an icon for Notifications. Click on that. At the upper right of that, you'll see Options. Click on that and you'll see a page with the heading Notification Preferences. One of the headings near the bottom of that page is labeled Classifieds. There you will see several options that are available to you:

Notify me of new classifieds in subscribed categories

Notify me of new questions and answers in watched classified adverts

Notify me of new questions for my own classified adverts

Notify me when somebody replies to my classified questions

I hope this will help you.

Swimmermom3, I have a favor to ask. Would you go to one of my ads and ask a question. I'd love to see that this system actually works!

Regards,
Kareni
  • swimmermom3 likes this

#36 swimmermom3

swimmermom3

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10024 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Kareni,

I have asked you a question and will check back to see what happen. Also, thank you so much for the information on the notifications. I have opened that icon plenty of times, but never noticed the options part. That makes things much easier.
  • Kareni likes this

#37 Kareni

Kareni

BEEn here awhile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15565 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Kareni,

I have asked you a question and will check back to see what happen.

Thanks very much, Lisa. I did receive an email notifying me of your question. I answered the question in the Classified Forum. Did you receive notification of my reply? And would you like me to ask a question on one of your ads?

Regards,
Kareni

#38 swimmermom3

swimmermom3

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10024 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

By golly, it works. Thanks, Kareni. I think I am feeling a little bit easier about the classifieds. I think I will go play with the search options some more. :tongue_smilie:

#39 scrappyhappymama

scrappyhappymama

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1505 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

I think that the "50 forum post minimum to post items for sale" rule was a really valuable one & it doesn't appear to be in effect here. It cut down on folks dropping in just to sell, especially scammers. The buy/sell forum here has been one of my favorite places to buy and sell homeschool curricula & I'd hate to see it become less useful.

I too have the same concerns about the lost feedback from the previous boards. I relied on it, along with the assurance that most sellers were active board participants, to make decisions about who to trade with. I also feel that my feedback gave assurance to others that I was trustworthy to buy from.

With the new format, I do have a suggestion to make. I think since it encourages folks to list items individually, and most posts will be quickly buried, it would sure be nice to have subforums on the For Sale Board like 'math' or 'science' or 'high school' or 'bulk lots' to make it easier to search, and more likely that prospective buyers will see the ads they'd be interested in.
  • FloridaLisa, shanvan, dharmacat and 1 other like this

#40 TKDmom

TKDmom

Kicks Like a Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

With the new format, I do have a suggestion to make. I think since it encourages folks to list items individually, and most posts will be quickly buried, it would sure be nice to have subforums on the For Sale Board like 'math' or 'science' or 'high school' or 'bulk lots' to make it easier to search, and more likely that prospective buyers will see the ads they'd be interested in.

Yes, I like that idea. Maybe it could be like tags, so we could enter multiple categories for curricula like SL or TOG that cover multiple areas. Then we could have a list of linked categories on the side of the classified section that would lead to ads tagged with those categories.

#41 swimmermom3

swimmermom3

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10024 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Egads! I did advanced search in classifieds for "art" and got one listing for Rod and Staff Math. I guess arithmetic contains the letters a, r, and t. :D

#42 swimmermom3

swimmermom3

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10024 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Egads! I did advanced search in classifieds for "art" and got one listing for Rod and Staff Math. I guess arithmetic contains the letters a, r, and t. :D

#43 Vida Winter

Vida Winter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4640 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Do we have any answers on whether the feedback will be restored? I relied on it a great deal.

#44 nukeswife

nukeswife

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6691 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Do we have any answers on whether the feedback will be restored? I relied on it a great deal.

I'm curious about this too.

#45 PentecostalMom

PentecostalMom

Trying to follow the Son...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3076 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I tried searching for spelling and got nothing, even though I had just been manually going page-by-page and saw a few. Not working very well and my feedback has disappeared as well.

#46 PentecostalMom

PentecostalMom

Trying to follow the Son...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3076 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I tried searching for spelling and got nothing, even though I had just been manually going page-by-page and saw a few. Not working very well and my feedback has disappeared as well.

#47 OtherJohn

OtherJohn

Homonyms Hate Me

• Administrators
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I am working on this and will resolve the issues as soon as possible.

#48 AimeeM

AimeeM

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9488 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

When I try to create a new advert in the classifieds I keep getting an "oops, something went wrong" message?
  • TGHEALTHYMOM likes this

#49 Kareni

Kareni

BEEn here awhile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15565 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

When I try to create a new advert in the classifieds I keep getting an "oops, something went wrong" message?

I've had this happen, but I've also been given additional information such as "your title is too long." Did that happen in your case?

Regards,
Kareni

#50 nukeswife

nukeswife

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6691 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

PLEASE for the love of all creatures on this earth put some sort of announcement on the main page. There must be a half dozen of more "Why cant I post on the for sale board" threads started every day.

Sorry but I just needed to get that out.
  • VaKim likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news