Menu

Can you tell me about "Teaching the Classics" please?

Pster

I just read about it on KIN's post of her plans for this coming year. I wanted to read more about it.

I think this goes along with what I'm reading in "Deconstructing Penguins", right?

What age is it for? Do you buy the whole dvd & course syllabus 1x and it covers all grades?

What do they do in the course? Do you have to purchase books to go with it?

thanks

I haven't had the chance to watch the DVD yet b/c I've been so busy but I have the book here. It is a DVD/book combo set that has been created to teach the parent how to lead socratic discussions about literature with your children.

Learning to have socratic discussions with your children will save you a lot of money in the long run b/c instead of buying guides for every book you read or topic you study, you will be able to lead discussions yourself without falling into the pit of not knowing what and how to ask to lead to fruitful discussions instead of tedious yes/no answers.

It also teaches you how to do literature analysis using graphic organizers, like Five Elements of Fiction there is a story chart. There's also "A Curriculum for Literature" Scope and Sequence (the example is for high school) and proceeds to help you formulate daily lessons plans including writing assignments for each level (grammar, logic and rhetoric).

The Appendix includes the Socratic list of questions and book lists for each level (G, L, R).

I haven't watched the DVD yet, but I couldn't help look through the book.

GRIN.

Bumping this up in the hopes that someone who is actively using this will post! I am currently reading Deconstructing Penguins, and I am excited about using this "method" with my children, particularly the 5th and 7th graders. I have considered Teaching the Classics in the past, then reconsidered due to the price, but I am finding, as my dc get older and I get busier, that I just don't have the time to do things on my own like I used to, and resources that are practical are a great investment. Hope that makes sense, and I hope you get some Teaching the Classics input!