Menu

White Dishes

Oak Knoll Mom

I have Corelle plain white for my everyday dishes. I like them! I grew up with Corelle (brought overseas by my parents) and know they last. I chose plain white because I watched so many missionaries through the years buy patterns only to find they couldn't replace the dishes or add to them in the same pattern.

I prefer to dress up my dishes with placemats or tablecloth.

Dawn

Another family with white dishes. (We have the "Aspen" dishes from Crate and Barrel.) I love them, for all the reasons mentioned above. This thread made me go and check out the Fiestaware, though...hmmm! Looks interesting! I wish the turquoise color was a bit deeper...the peacock is pretty, too.

Question about the Fiestaware - are the colors something that you can collect over time or do they change periodically/seasonally, thus requiring you to purchase everything at once if you are matchy-perfect? :p

I got a full set of beautiful fiestaware when I got married 14 years ago. I have 1 bowl left. sigh.

I actually started collecting the corelle winter frost white dishes. I am surprised by how much I love them. I always think of corelle as "old lady dishes" but they look so elegant with a holiday charger. They haven't gotten broken either.

But when they do break, watch out! Little shards that shatter EVERYWHERE! Many of mine are chipped and sharp on those edges. I have not been pleased with mine. I plan to buy more dishes very soon I just haven't decided what I want yet.

• Like 1

Question about the Fiestaware - are the colors something that you can collect over time or do they change periodically/seasonally, thus requiring you to purchase everything at once if you are matchy-perfect? :p

Both. Some colors are kept around forever, but others get retired. If you want to replace something that's retired, it can be $$$.

I switched to all white about 5 years ago. I got mine at World Market, so they weren't very expensive. I like them, but I've had a secret longing for the colors of Fiestaware for a long time. Now that we're finally renovating our kitchen, I'm probably going to switch to Fiestaware. The colors will work very nicely with the new kitchen. :)

But when they do break, watch out! Little shards that shatter EVERYWHERE! Many of mine are chipped and sharp on those edges. I have not been pleased with mine. I plan to buy more dishes very soon I just haven't decided what I want yet.

I hear people say that Corelle doesn't break and that's just not true. Maybe if you don't have tile floors. Ours shatter just as you describe anytime I drop one on the floor.

I've had white dishes for years - they are wonderful. I've never had to worry about making sure place mats or napkins look good with them and when we have a nice meal, the food really does take center stage. Because the dishes don't loose their luster due to changing styles, I invest in a good set. When we married 19 years ago, I had Johnson Brothers Regency. This year we were down to just a few plates and bowls left & I couldn't set the table for company. They don't make that pattern anymore (it was white with a ruffled edge), so I chose dishes from Williams Sonoma, where they sell everything open stock and discount if you buy more than 16 pieces. Paying for quality is worth it when something will last for 19 years! The pattern I chose is a simple hemstitch around the rim - very elegant when I dress them up!

• Like 2

I have the white Ikea dishes too.

I have brightly colored walls in my kitchen and my decor is colorful. I think they contrast very well in their simplicity.

:)

IMO the white Ikea dishes are cheap enough to be an extra set if you wanted bright AND white dishes.

Yes, they don't cost a fortune and you won't be heart broken if someone breaks something. It's open stock and you can replace pieces.

Yes! A year after Ladybug broke a Corelleware plate on our carpeted floor, I find little shards despite all efforts to collect the tiny pieces. We've broken our share of fine china and wine glasses, I've never seen anything like the shreds off of Corelleware.

That is the truth. Those shards are deadly. After dd was standing in the midst of it at 3, after dropping a bowl a few inches on our soft hardwood flooring, that was it.

I'm going to do six white Fiestaware place settings and six different colors. There are five of us, so I'm going to let each person choose the color they want (I get to choose two :D). Now we have the best of both worlds and I can always add more white as I go along.

Follow up question: I can get a four piece place setting on sale at Belk for $23+tax, but the sale ends tomorrow. Is this a really good price and I should go take advantage of it tomorrow? or does this type of sale come around frequently?

I'm going to do six white Fiestaware place settings and six different colors. There are five of us, so I'm going to let each person choose the color they want (I get to choose two :D). Now we have the best of both worlds and I can always add more white as I go along.

Follow up question: I can get a four piece place setting on sale at Belk for $23+tax, but the sale ends tomorrow. Is this a really good price and I should go take advantage of it tomorrow? or does this type of sale come around frequently?

We love our fiestaware. About two years ago I was cleaning cabinets and dropped a whole stack of my corelle, which shattered into a billion little shards.

We have the rainbow cabinet now. We are a family of 5 and each person picked a color and then we ended up getting 4 more sets in other colors for company.

We have Purple for dh, Sunflower for me, shamrock for oldest ds, Peacock for dd, and scarlet for youngest ds. Our extras are tangerine, turquoise, black and white.

I love looking in my cabinet and at my table now, it's so colorful and fun.

Oh I ordered my stuff online at zesty dishes online and they had great service as well as good prices. I didn't want a traditional place setting. I wanted a dinner plate, lunch plate, bread plate and two sizes of bowls. We don't use coffe mugs or cups so I had no need for those.

I agree. I also like being able to choose different colored linens without having to think about what color my plates are.

SO true. I go crazy with linens, and with all white plates, it all goes.

I DO have Willoware for our dinner plates, but that's because it's a family thing. Nana had them, and I have hers on my walls, but needed some to use. I bought them at the A&P when they were brought out again.

Then for our breakfast plates I have white corelle with the blue stripes.

Our old everyday plates were Pfaltzgraff Filagree, then my Aunt gave me her Heritage set, and I bought some more. Then I fell into some English ironstone in the Athena pattern and believe it or now, all three patterns look good together.

I have a thing for China. I have plates hanging everywhere...

Why breakfast dishes and dinner dishes? Because we're a huge family and the dishwasher is always going.

Anyway, yes, the white goes with any linens you choose.

Bar keeper's friend is available in a liquid form, altho it can be harder to find. I tried the powder and never liked it. My friend told me to get the liquid form at the dollar store..and wow, that stuff is amazing. It is also available at Home Depot or Lowe's in their cleaner section. It's a 3.00 bottle, but it's 3 times the size of the dollar store one. Mr. Clean erasers will take most gray marks off as well.

That's funny, because I don't like the liquid form. I much prefer the powder. I use it to clean my glass cooktop and the liquid doesn't work as well.

I got rid of my white Pfaltzgraff because of the gray marks mentioned. Mine are from World Market and don't get those marks.

Do yours get silverware marks? Half of my Fiestaware is white and the other half is lemongrass and peacock. The white pieces are showing quite a bit of little grey marks on them.

Just saw this. Yes, I do get marks on the plates, but they don't really bother me.

I was just reading about this and there are several people in the blogosphere that say Bar Keeper's Friend will get those marks off.

But... now that I know THIS, I'm going to test it out tomorrow. Bar Keeper's Friend is one of the best inventions, ever!

Just saw this. Yes, I do get marks on the plates, but they don't really bother me.

But... now that I know THIS, I'm going to test it out tomorrow. Bar Keeper's Friend is one of the best inventions, ever!

I did get some of this yesterday. Mr. Clean magic erasers, comet and steel wool could not get those marks off, but BKF did! There are a few stray stubborn ones that won't come off, but it really made quite a difference. I'm getting some of the liquid next. I've got a few other things to try it on also.

I was just reading about this and there are several people in the blogosphere that say Bar Keeper's Friend will get those marks off.

Be careful with that stuff. It's quite toxic.

It's just hard to imagine that if comet or a steel wool pad won't remove it, that another brand of scouring powder will.

It doesn't have the same active ingredient as other scouring powders.

Bar Keepers Friend has a secret ingredient that those other things don't ... magic. I don't know exactly how it works but that stuff has cleaned messes that other cleaners haven't been able to in my house.

It's called oxalic acid dihydrate. It should only be used while wearing gloves and in a well ventilated area.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be used. Just be sure to use it properly.

The 4 piece sets are (were?) on sale for $28.99 at Macy's when this thread started and a similar price at Kohl's. I ended up going out and buying 8 plates (I didn't want the whole set) at Macy's. The plates were on sale from $17 something to $11 something. I got an additional Family & Friends 25% off discount and paid $8.60 per plate. I thought that was a good deal. I think your $23 sounds like a good deal, too!

• 2 years later...

I started with Fiestaware when we got married, and just last year switched to all white at dh's request. He has pieces in all different shapes and sizes and sets a beautiful table.

That is amazing to me, especially since I'm more worried over setting the table than roasting the 20 lb turkey.

I guess we all have our skills :)

• Like 1

My best friend has all white dishes. I love how nice and clean they look. 

I have always had a variety of colors and patterns. It ends up looking a mess. I'm switching to all white.

At first, I was afraid it would be boring, but I have been looking, and have seen lots of shapes and textures. I think it will be fun, but still look intentional.

If I hadn't started adulthood with a largeish collection of cream-colored dishes, I would go for plain white.  It is so versatile. 

As we experience breakage, we are replacing with cream-colored plates from IKEA. They are surprisingly similar to the Wedgwood china my husband brought with him when we married.  So I guess I will have cream-colored plates for life.

But! I can buy placemats, napkins, accent pieces, tablecloths, serving pieces, etc. in all colors (except cream, and white) and they look great.   So I'd say yes, go with all white.

I have white dishes from Pottery Barn and white Fiestaware serving bowls, tea pot, platters etc.  I love white.  It all matches, it looks beautiful no matter the food being served and I can make it look casual or dressed up. Over the years I have picked up different types of tableware and because it is all white, they all look fine together.

I often think that food with strong colours looks terrible on whatever colour of plate is being used.  If I want to serve beets and all I have is a blue fiestaware serving bowl it can look weird.  My ILs have a very large collection of fiestaware and when they entertain they are always  having to figure out what food looks best on which platter or bowl etc.  It is so much easier if it is all white.

I don't think coloured fiestaware looks bad by any means. I like it a lot..I like a lot of other things besides fiestaware as well, I just think that white makes things easier for me. 

• Like 1

I know this is a zombie thread, but since others have replied to it today. ..

My everyday dishes are Corelle, white with blue flowers. They're pretty, but I'm a little tired of them since I have had them since our wedding, seventeen years ago. My fancy plates (of which I only have six) are custom, handmade pottery plates which are heavy, as well as irreplaceable unless I get another set of six, and even then they might not match exactly. They're a blue-with-a-hint-of-green glaze, and they're lovely. We don't use them often, although we likely will for TG. (I will use them more when my littles aren't quite so little.)

So when I got low on Corelle plates and bowls (because in seventeen years, enough have dropped that we ran low), I bought some plain white Corelle plates and bowls to mix and match with the flowered ones. Tbh, I actually really like the look of the plain white. Just simple and elegant.

• Like 1

Just switched to all white dishes and I love them!  They go with all seasons and dishes.  

Did an extensive search for anyone else considering all white sets: 

- ended up buying my set from Cost Plus/World Market on sale and they seem durable so far.

- Pottery Barn has 1 or 2 all-white sets for a little more $, but the differences with Cost Plus seemed negligible.  

- best/most expensive sets were by HF Coors, which supplies restaurants and makes lead-free dishes in various styles/colors.  Made in the USA.  I wanted to buy these to support US workers, but honestly, at 3-4 times the amount per piece, I couldn't buy enough pieces with my budget.  I think you might have to order these online.  

- some people like Corelle to mix and match; a good lead-free alternative material but they seem thin to me.

ETA: I'm a minimalist and I didn't want 2 sets of dishes: everyday/fancy.  IMO, life's too short to "save" special dishes.  Get what you like and use them everyday...We use dishes 3+ times a day around here and it's made my life easy to have enough of what we need and like.  

Edited by vonbon

Just switched to all white dishes and I love them! They go with all seasons and dishes.

Did an extensive search for anyone else considering all white sets:

- ended up buying my set from Cost Plus/World Market on sale and they seem durable so far.

- Pottery Barn has 1 or 2 all-white sets for a little more $, but the differences with Cost Plus seemed negligible.

- best/most expensive sets were by HF Coors, which supplies restaurants and makes lead-free dishes in various styles/colors. Made in the USA. I wanted to buy these to support US workers, but honestly, at 3-4 times the amount per piece, I couldn't buy enough pieces with my budget. I think you might have to order these online.

- some people like Corelle to mix and match; a good lead-free alternative material but they seem thin to me.

ETA: I'm a minimalist and I didn't want 2 sets of dishes: everyday/fancy. IMO, life's too short to "save" special dishes. Get what you like and use them everyday...We use dishes 3+ times a day around here and it's made my life easy to have enough of what we need and like.

Lol, I always thought I'd be of the "use it every day, even if it breaks" type, but then we started collecting little pieces from a local potter, a few things every year. One year, my ILs custom ordered some plates for me to go with our other stuff, and knowing that they are quite heavy for my little people and that they are expensive and difficult to replace, I can't really stomach using them for every meal every day. I honestly never thought I'd be that way. (We don't have china, crystal, or silver, either, but we use the heck out of our nice stainless, and it still looks great after all these years.)

• Like 1

I like the zombie threads!  I figure if people take the time to have a complete discussion, I might as well do a search and glean from them without starting a whole new one.  Probably outnumbered though!  A bit old-fashioned here and new to the whole forum thing.   :001_smile:  Where was this discussion when I was researching white dishes?!

• Like 1

I specifically picked our white dishes when we got married. I did not want fancy china and this could work for everyday or holiday dinners. I also figured I'd get bored with a pattern of dislike it after awhile. White is just white. And when I need to buy a serving bowl or something, it's just so easy. 15 years and still happy with it.

I replaced my multi-color stoneware with all white.  I love them!  It always bugged me when my food didn't look good on the plate.  Some colors just clash, you know?  No food coordinated well with the yellow plates, for instance.  I don't have that problem with my bright white.  Not all whites are the same, though.  I hate cheap white dishes that scratch when they rub together, or aren't pure, bright white.  I've had my Pampered Chef white dishes for about five years, and they still look like they did new.  I have a brightly colored, striped tablecloth, so the white dishes look good and don't get lost on the table.  I'll use a cream tablecloth on Thanksgiving, and the white will look good on that as well.  They'll look good with Christmas decor as well.  So, I'm with your sister.  But, you're the one who will be looking at them multiple times a day.  Get what you like.

FiestaWare has just become available in NZ.  Now I know what it is I don't really see the appeal.  I have some red plates and the food looks dreadful on them so I only use them in emergencies otherwise I have two four piece settings - one in off white and one in white.  I like the off white best.

I've been on a white plate collecting binge...lol.  I like that you can dress them up or down, and they'll go with anything.  I use them mostly at Thanksgiving.  We have vintage Corelle for our everyday dishes.  However, I keep telling my girls to buy white basics when they move out.  Then buy all the accessories in the fun colors.  

I just went to white dishes early this year. I love them. :) It's easy to match anything with them, and serving dishes and so on don't even have to be from the same set. If they're white, they automatically match! And if they aren't white, they might still look great.

ETA: My husband thinks I'm crazy to care how the food looks on the plate. Or how it looks at all. So long as it's yummy, that's all that matters to him. But when I made plain boring old tacos for a bunch of people and set everything out in square white bowls, it all looked so nice and other people commented on it. :)

Edited by Mimm