Menu

Does a healthy teen really need 12+ hours of sleep?

Cindyg

Over the Thanksgiving break, my 15YO son slept 14 hours a night (11:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.).

On a normal school day, he gets approximately 8 hours of sleep. On weekends, probably 12. And he's exhausted all the time.

Is this normal for a growing boy (young man)? Is it possible that something is wrong? Is this symptomatic of anything I should think about?

ETA: He doesn't eat well (serious sensory issues), takes appropriate supplements, is not athletic, and is thin.

My ds16 sleeps 10 - 11 hours a night. There are no mental issues that I can see beyond his OCD. He is bright and alert all day but starts lagging about 4 hours before he goes to bed. I don't know how long he has been doing this but I know he hasn't always been this kind of a sleeper.

I think 10 is average, but 12 is within normal limits.

I agree. My 12 year old boy needs 12. If he has less for several days he has to play catch up which I've read is not the best thing to do...consistant sleep is very important. I often wonder how in the world he would function in public school.

That amount of sleep sounds fine to me, maybe even a little more during the week if possible, since he is still tired. I've never understood why people are concerned about an otherwise healthy teen sleeping. People feel better when they are well rested, no matter what their age. I remember my dad used to wake me up on the weekends & during the summer - I remember it well. It did nothing but aggravate me and make me cranky.

If you don't think that he's healthy, then work with him to address the problem - try to get him to identify what's going on and then troubleshoot ways to handle it. You'll likely know if a visit to the doctor's office is in order. Do keep in mind that sleeping/exhaustion is a symptom of depression, which is more common in teens than many realize. If you think that's the case, make sure to seek treatment for that as well.

My dd12 (13 next month) has never been a huge sleeper but for the last 6-8 months she is sleeping 12 hours some nights. Every night she goes to bed at 8 p.m. and usually gets up at 7-7:30 but a couple mornings it has been 8:30 or even 9:15! I know she is healthy, and not lazy, so if she is sleeping, she needs it, and I don't wake her. She is having huge growth spurts-physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc. I'm so glad she is able to get the sleep she needs! I remember being constantly exhausted at that age.

My 17yo college kid sleeps like that when he comes home on the weekend. I know he is putting in lots of study time during the week, though. As my teens get older I do notice that every now and then they will have sleepy weekends. I let them sleep, because there aren't any other red flags. If your son seems depressed, if it seems suddenly out of character or if there are any other issues, that would be worth keeping an eye on. But I agree with the others that it's probably just due to teenage growth patterns.

Yeah, I'm thinking he's growing. My husband says that for a long time in high school, he would go to school, come home and sleep, get up and do his homework, and then go to bed. He was tired all the time.

I was going to say the same thing. My dh tells me he did this in high school.

The 14 hours over vacation might not represent how much he needs. It probably reveals a long-term sleep deficit. I think there's no doubt that the 8 hours he's getting now isn't enough. But you might find that if he got 10 hours regularly, he wouldn't need the 12 and 14 hour nights very often.

I read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child when we were struggling with our then 2 year old. The chapter on teens is great. We started letting our then teen sleep longer in the mornings and it really helped her in lots of ways! She lost weight, her acne cleared up, she was happier, easier to be around, etc. She slept approx 10-11 hours each night.

Our current only teen, age 14, sleeps 10 hours and I think she'd like more. Trying to convince her to go bed earlier. :)