Menu

Christmas fun with the family

Mrs Mungo

We were crafting the day after Thanksgiving and made little hangers for Christmas cards.

Take some jute and glue little strings (ribbons) to it at 5" intervals or wider apart; you can also make the ribbons different length so the cards don't overlap. Then glue small clothes pins (at Michaels) to the ribbon ends so you can clip the cards. Make it as long as you wish estimating how many cards you may have to accomodate.

Elf--we have to watch Elf lol Watching Christmas movies is one of my favorite traditions. We also pick a cool night(It's TX--50 right now 80 this weekend...) to get hot chocolate/coffee at starbucks and look at the lights. We have a friend that has an enormous display that is timed with music. He changes it a bit each year and we look forward to seeing the display. Before #2 came along we always went to a Christmas play. I can't wait to start that tradition up again.

We're starting a new tradition this year. We're going to have a Storyteller's Eve. The menu calls for soup, rolls/biscuits, a few other sides. After dinner my dh will read a Christmas story before the kids open their pjs (traditional gift every Christmas Eve). We'll have a popcorn party in our jammies while watching a Christmas movie, then it should be time for bed.

I put together a Christmas bucket list of activities - 1 for very day leading up to Christmas. Complete with links to activities and a PDF download for daily activity cards. I am really excited about all the memories and traditions we will be starting this year! Link to my blog: Christmas Bucket List (ok so going old school with a link since I have not figured out how to imbed links on he new board...

http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/2012/11/christmas-bucket-list.html

We always do our tree decorating party the Sunday or Monday evening after Thanksgiving. I simmer a big pot of cider, and we have Christmas music playing.

This year we are implementing a craft day for the girls. We are getting together this Sunday and making Pinterest crafts!

Tuesdays our movie nights for us. I double up in December to make sure to include all our favorites (Christmas Story, National Lampoons, Charlie Brown, Elf, Misfit Toys and a few others I can't think of at the moment. We make caramel corn and wassail.

At some point in time we'll make eggnog and decorate a few dozen suagar cookies.

Lots and lots of snowflakes. 3D ones. Who-flakes.

A joke Advent using these Kiddo tested jokes.

Gingerbread Fraction House

I want to make some ornaments with her this year.

Loving this thread.

We're making an advent chain to count down, and I've printed the jokes posted by Delirium to put inside them. We also live where there is wild holly growing so we'll go harvest some of that. Maybe mistletoe too if we can reach it without a ladder.

There are lots of concerts in our area and I plan to look some up on the web. Several news stations and a parenting magazine have event calendars just for slacker moms like me who tend to want to plan but not actually do it. Tons of private teachers and kid ensembles have winter concerts, many of which are free. If we can swing Nutcracker tickets, we might go for that. I play in a symphony so I'm going to see if I can get the clan to come hear/see Cirque de Noel in a few weeks.

We have a local activity that has become a regular Christmas event for us. A family in a nearby subdivision does one of those music and light displays. They live at the end of a cul-de-sac so there is room for several cars to park and watch for a bit. They must have really lovely neighbors! Anyway we usually end up going to see the display at least twice during the season. My dd loooooooves it. But then she's all about Christmas year-round.