Menu

Favorite GF sandwich bread recipe

kitten18

Once again with GF cooking/baking, I'm completely overwhelmed with the options.

We went many months with no bread then last week I broke down and bought a loaf of Udi's sandwich bread. The kids were thrilled to have a sandwich and toast! I would like to try and replicate that. I have a pretty good variety of flours and starches.

This is our favorite. It is versatile, and forgiving! http://www.theglutenfreespouse.com/2010/11/gluten-free-sandwich-bread.html#!/2010/11/gluten-free-sandwich-bread.html

I substitute white rice for the quinoa, and tapioca for the amaranth, and accidentally started leaving out the sorghum. Dd likes it better w/ my oops. And I don't change the liquid content, and actually usually add a couple of TBS more water.

It's flavor is very much like homemade white bread, as is the texture, however, it isn't as crumbly as homemade wheat (white) bread. It's not overly moist either. It holds together well, w/out all the typical gf problems!

I use the sandwich bread from Gluten Free Baking Classics. She has a recipe for a flour mix so i keep that on hand - and i make it in the bread machine. in fact, my teen son can make it himself (i am allergic to tapioca and kinda have to stay out of the room while he's making it). My boys like it better than the Udi's (which has been their favorite store-bought)

We've loved everything we've made from this GF cookbook. For loaf bread, we're using her companion book for bread machines. The bread machine recipe was adapted from her original baking book (the first one I mentioned). The bread's so good that the kids want to eat it, even though it's primarily for my husband and me. Somehow the kids don't seem to have inherited our gluten intolerance.

This is our favorite. It is versatile, and forgiving! http://www.thegluten...wich-bread.html

I substitute white rice for the quinoa, and tapioca for the amaranth, and accidentally started leaving out the sorghum. Dd likes it better w/ my oops. And I don't change the liquid content, and actually usually add a couple of TBS more water.

It's flavor is very much like homemade white bread, as is the texture, however, it isn't as crumbly as homemade wheat (white) bread. It's not overly moist either. It holds together well, w/out all the typical gf problems!

Thanks. I don't see amanranth in that recipe, was it the arrowroot that you subbed tapioca for? I'm going to try that one today or tomorrow.

I used to make this KAF GF recipe which also has a step-by-step blog post. Actually, I used to do the bread mix they sell more often than not. There are other recipes at this link, too. There was a recipe in Elizabeth Barbone's book, but I don't remember if I ever tried it.

Thanks for the links. I saw your post in the cookie thread too.

I use the sandwich bread from Gluten Free Baking Classics. She has a recipe for a flour mix so i keep that on hand - and i make it in the bread machine. in fact, my teen son can make it himself (i am allergic to tapioca and kinda have to stay out of the room while he's making it). My boys like it better than the Udi's (which has been their favorite store-bought)

We've loved everything we've made from this GF cookbook. For loaf bread, we're using her companion book for bread machines. The bread machine recipe was adapted from her original baking book (the first one I mentioned). The bread's so good that the kids want to eat it, even though it's primarily for my husband and me. Somehow the kids don't seem to have inherited our gluten intolerance.

Thanks, you're both suggesting the same book. I think I will buy it and wrap it for myself for Christmas. Yes, I buy and wrap some of my own Christmas presents. :tongue_smilie: