Menu

Question about fatigue, stiffness, and sore muscles...

Julie in CA

A couple of months ago I was walking/jogging intervals 4x per week, about 5-7 miles per day, but life has changed, and I have a new routine.

Two months ago I began a new job as a cook, where I am almost running, almost all of the time, from 6:30 a.m. until 3 p.m..

After I finish there, I come home and rest up for an hour or so, and then spend a couple of hours doing job #2 (pastry cook).

After that I get dinner done, do a bit of laundry or tidying up, and then I go to bed.

I work 4 days on, 2 days off.

My problem is that even after two months, I have "hit-by-a-bus" soreness & stiffness All Of The Time! Whenever I sit for longer than 10 minutes, when I stand back up, I can hardly get to my feet, and then I hobble like an old person for a few minutes until I can loosen up. Not just my legs, but all over, and all of the time.

I've taken my pedometer to work with me, and I'm walking the equivalent of about 7 miles, just as I was before. What gives?? I can't stop and stretch every time I need to move, and the soreness & stiffness is making a tough situation even tougher. Is there anything I can to to alleviate the pain?

Sounds like inflammation. I think Vitamin D can help with that. Have you changed how you eat with this new job? More sugar or simple carbs if you are on the go more? Could be that your diet is less healthy but you wouldn't necessarily see weight gain because you are still so active. But you could be experiencing inflammation. I have this same problem when I'm eating poorly even though my weight is fairly stable.

Sounds like inflammation. I think Vitamin D can help with that. Have you changed how you eat with this new job? More sugar or simple carbs if you are on the go more? Could be that your diet is less healthy but you wouldn't necessarily see weight gain because you are still so active. But you could be experiencing inflammation. I have this same problem when I'm eating poorly even though my weight is fairly stable.

I have changed how I eat, and I am losing weight (which I needed to do, btw). 6:30 a.m. is far too early for me to have breakfast, and my lunch time (which equals about 20 minutes) is at 10 a.m., also too early for me. As a result, I wait until about 3 p.m. and then have a fairly large and usually fairly nutritious meal. Because my family eats dinner at about 7 p.m., I'm never hungry again by then, so I usually only have a very small bite, and then before I know it, it's bedtime.

Sounds like the suggestion for vit. D is 2 for 2 so far, so maybe I will try that. I have some already, but have never taken it.

Thank you for the suggestions.

You might consider not eating gluten and seeing if that helps. This has been a huge help for me. It wasn't easy to start, but now I really don't even want it and I was a HUGE gluten eater. We cut way back on sugars too, moved to almond milk, and don't eat anything processed except some dark chocolate. We feel soooo much better!

I am wondering what kind of surface you are on while you are at your cooking jobs - tile or concrete could be a part of it. Also, since it is "work" instead of "exercise", are you stretching? Maybe, also, you sound like you are working ALOT. You might just be physically and emotionally exhausted!

Good luck,

ReneeR

I am a bartender/restaurant manager (well not for now, since I'm home full time schooling)

Are you wearing the best shoes you can possibly afford? Do you have heel cushions or need orthotic inserts?

Also you really need to eat something to keep your body going during that intense workday. Even an apple and peanut or almond butter, or some kind of protein shake!

Are you drinking enough water? Have you considered electrolyte drinks to see if dehydration could be a factor?

I would also add a good multi vitamin and maybe some magnesium to see if that helps. Actually calcium, potassium, and other minerals/salt all get sweat out and can cause fatigue and cramping.

I would seriously up your calories though. When I was bar tending outside in the heat, which mimics a kitchen, for ridiculous hours every week I dropped weight like crazy and realized I needed to eat like an athlete to be able to not loose muscle and be a wreck.

Remember you aren't just walking 7 miles, your bending, lifting, stirring, dumping, and sweating the entire time.

I just re read and saw you've been there 2 months, I would give it a few more weeks to let your body get used to the poundind. The first few weeks back after a long break are horribly painful, like get home and cry painful. But it levels after about 8-12 weeks.

You really do need enough protein for tissue repair and muscle building and enough carbs to keep the pace up.

Thanks for all of the advice. I think maybe I've simply bitten off more than I can chew, and my body is rebelling in a major way. I am technically a temporary employee, though it's always been clear that the decision to stay or not would be mine. I am going to try and hold out until they can find someone else who's qualified to fill my position, but let them know that they need to find someone else soon. It goes against the grain for me to ever say, "I can't", but truly, I just can't keep going as I am.