Menu

So what do *you* always end up making with boneless skinless chicken breast?

I'm so stuck in a rut lately. Sigh.

Dh doesn't care for beef much, and I don't know how to cook fish. I sometimes make bbq pork in the slow cooker, but (besides bacon, of course :p) that's the only pork we eat.

So we eat chicken. A LOT.

I end up just sticking it on a broiler pan, covered in EVOO, italian spices, salt and pepper, and then broiling it in the oven a lot of the time.

I do sometimes make chicken parm, chicken and dumplings, chicken noodle soup, or homemade nuggets.

I'm so sick of chicken. :thumbdown:

So what do YOU make a lot? I've got sensory issues going on with dh and Moose, so I have to be careful with change. But good grief, I can't live off of the same four chicken dishes forever!

Guinness chicken:

Chicken with Honey-Beer Sauce

2 tsp. canola oil

4 (6-oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Ă‚Â¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1/8 tsp. salt

3 T. thinly sliced shallots

Ă‚Â½ c. beer (I use Guiness)

2 T. lower-sodium soy sauce

1 T. whole-grain Dijon mustard

1 T. honey

2 T. fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with pepper and salt. Add chicken to pan; sautĂƒÂ© 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Add shallots to pan; cook 1 minute or until translucent. Combine beer and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add beer mixture to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced to Ă‚Â½ cup. Return chicken to pan; turn to coat with sauce. Sprinkle evenly with parsley and serve.

We love this, and you will never know there is pumpkin in it!

Pumpkin Chili

1 med onion, chopped

1 med. yellow pepper, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

3 cups of chicken broth

2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained

2 1/2 cups of cubed, cooked turkey (chicken is great too!)

1 can of solid pack pumpkin or pureed sweet potato

1 can of diced tomatoes UNDRAINED

2 tsp. parsley flakes

2 tsp. chili powder

1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano

1 1/2 tsp. cumin (I was liberal with it)

1/2 tsp. salt (use more)

Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook for several hours.

I'll be simmering some later today, and then turning it into chicken tacos.

I also grill it, then slice it up to put on salads and sandwiches. I usually do that if there's a sale and we ended up with one of those huge packages -- I freeze the grilled breasts individually, then just thaw what I need.

I shred the chicken and add to to a LOT of rice mixed with sauteed green beans, sauteed mushrooms, and drained corn. Add a little bit of soy sauce and voila.

This glazed ham recipe is great (we don't buy a 12 pounder obviously, and sometimes we use pineapple jam instead of orange).

This sausage supper is simple but tasty.

You can't go wrong with quiche: squash, bacon, and mozzerella.

We loooove this casserole.

Good luck!

Barbecue chicken -- Throw the chicken breasts in the crockpot with a sliced onion. When it's good and done take it out and shred it up. Put it back in the crockpot and stir in plenty of your favorite BBQ sauce. Leave in the crockpot for 30 minutes or so or until heated through. Serve on buns. (This is what we're having tonight.)

Chicken Philly sandwiches --

http://www.myrecipes...10000000642241/

And of course I use chicken in all sorts of soups.

Here's a couple of things I do:

Put them in a crock pot with a jar of salsa, a packet of taco mix, mixed with water. When we are ready for dinner I take two forks and shred the chicken and add a can of black beans. I serve over rice or with hot tortillas.

Cook seasoned chicken breasts, cut up, stir in yellow rice and black beans.

Thaw CB, slice and make chicken and broccoli stir fry or mix with mandarin sauce without broccoli and serve over rice.

Chicken club sandwiches. I filet the chicken into 2 or 3 pieces and season with Baby Bam. (Dh loves this seasoning on eggs so I usually make a big batch of it.) Add bacon, lettuce, onion, tomato. I usually serve with fruit and chips or cole slaw.

Curry chicken--essentially chicken soup with a tsp of curry powder. We like it over rice.

One ds has a major aversion to chicken that's not a nugget or buffalo wing and he'll eat these dishes.

I'm so stuck in a rut lately. Sigh.

Dh doesn't care for beef much, and I don't know how to cook fish. I sometimes make bbq pork in the slow cooker, but (besides bacon, of course :p) that's the only pork we eat.

So we eat chicken. A LOT.

I end up just sticking it on a broiler pan, covered in EVOO, italian spices, salt and pepper, and then broiling it in the oven a lot of the time.

I do sometimes make chicken parm, chicken and dumplings, chicken noodle soup, or homemade nuggets.

I'm so sick of chicken. :thumbdown:

So what do YOU make a lot? I've got sensory issues going on with dh and Moose, so I have to be careful with change. But good grief, I can't live off of the same four chicken dishes forever!

Somewhere I have a thread bookmarked where people posted tons of great ideas for boneless breasts. Let me see if I can dig it up...

ETA:

:lol: OK, I found it, and Bethany, it was started by you! There were so many yummy ideas in that thread.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/314279-sigh-what-to-do-with-yet-another-package-of-boneless-skinless-chicken/

We make shredded chicken for tacos and salads throughout the week.

It is so easy: I put the chicken breasts in the slow cooker with a pack of organic taco seasoning and set it in low for 9 hours. It turns out shredable and tender. My DH uses it to fill tacos for himself and our boys while I use it to top Mexican Caesar salad (with salsa, guac, tomatoes).

I used to not like chicken at all until I started preparing it this way.

Somewhere I have a thread bookmarked where people posted tons of great ideas for boneless breasts. Let me see if I can dig it up...

ETA:

:lol: OK, I found it, and Bethany, it was started by you! There were so many yummy ideas in that thread.

http://forums.welltr...inless-chicken/

I'm telling you, my family pretty much only wants to eat chicken. :p

I'm so sick of cooking is what it is. I'm just out of inspiration.

Teriyaki chicken. Cube up 2-3 breasts, cook with lemon juice, add some teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice, bring to a boil and toss in some frozen broccoli and chunks of pineapple, cover and simmer till broccoli is cooked. Serve over rice with a sprinkle of peanuts or sesame seeds. Fast and simple.

I'm telling you, my family pretty much only wants to eat chicken. :p

I'm so sick of cooking is what it is. I'm just out of inspiration.

I totally hear you. I greatly prefer chicken breasts myself, but cooking them day in and day out is definitely overwhelming! I have to make lunch now, but I'll share a recipe I recently came across (if someone hasn't already).

These are great ideas. I'm following to try some of them. We do eat other meats, but I'm in kind of a rut as well, making the same things over and over.

Bethany, just as a thought for other things to try... have you tried boneless pork chops? Since you do pork roast, that might be an option. Or for fish... I don't know how to cook *fresh* fish either, but you can buy frozen fish to give it a try, they're already cut into fillets and there are directions right on the bag. :D And I agree with giving lots of different soups a try, especially with winter coming on!!

We eat a lot of chicken, too. I cut some breasts up for nuggets and stir fry. I throw some in the crockpot to shred for tacos, enchiladas, chili, pasta dishes, and salads. I slice the rest to grill. I usually just buy a large package and do all of the above and toss what I don't need immediately into the freezer.

Two recipes that go over well here (with 3 men in the family):

Chicken Cheesesteaks (skip the mayo, use more cheese; use kosher salt for the coarse salt)

Grilled Boneless Chicken Breast with Tarragon-Mustard Butter (I always substitute fresh BASIL for the tarragon -- this is a FAVORITE; make a large batch of the flavored butter and keep it in the fridge; lasts for months and makes fast dinners)

We also do:

- chicken fajitas

- chicken and alfredo pasta (cook up bacon, set aside; cook diced chicken breast in bacon grease, then onions and bell peppers; make an alfredo sauce, toss cooked pasta with the sauce, combine all in a casserole, top with the crumbled bacon and fresh grated parmesan or romano cheese, bake till bubbly and just browning)

- chicken chow mein (I use a different recipe from a Cantonese friend and it is quite time-consuming, but this recipe looked good -- I would add more vegetable variety: broccoli, baby bok choy, and peapods)

SUMI SALAD

(LOVE this one for summer!)

Salad Ingredients:

- 1/2 medium-sized green cabbage

- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, up into the green portion

- 1-2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or diced (I often cook these in the pressure cooker, or use leftover cooked chicken)

- 1/8 to 1/4 cup toasted sesame seed

- 1/2 cup slivered, toasted almonds

- 1 (3 oz.) package Top Ramen noodles, uncooked, discard flavor packet

Dressing Ingredients:

- 1/2 cup olive oil

- 1/4 cup rice vinegar

- 1/8 cup sugar or honey

- 1/2 tsp. salt

- 1/2 tsp. pepper

In a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, rice vinegar, sugar, pepper and salt; crumble in the dry ramen noodles; put the lid on and shake to combine. Set aside for several hours until the noodles have absorbed the dressing. (I shake the container every half hour or so.

In large bowl - shred cabbage, chop green onions. Add almonds, sesame seeds. Add shredded or diced cooked chicken breast. Add dressing/noodles; stir to coat all the ingredients. Refrigerate.

I cut it into chunks and marinade in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and sweet paprika. Then I saute plenteous strips of bells peppers, set aside; saute the chicken pieces; combine the peppers and chicken and season to taste. I serve with a green veg and brown rice. That makes two of our five a day.

Laura

OK, here's one of my standbys. It's very popular here:

Chicken Mozzarella Bake

Ingredients:

• 4 to 6 chicken breast halves
  • salt and pepper
  • garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons Marsala or white wine, or use chicken broth
  • 1 medium to large tomato, sliced (I often use spaghetti sauce since I don't like fresh tomatoes, but of course it's much healthier with the fresh ones!)
  • 4 to 6 green onions, thinly sliced (I usually skip these)
  • 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, sliced

Preparation:

Pound chicken breast halves between sheets of plastic wrap until evenly thinned out. Salt and pepper both sides then sprinkle lightly with garlic powder. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add chicken to the heated skillet; cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a baking dish. Add 1 more tablespoon butter to the skillet along with the wine or broth then saute the mushrooms until tender and golden brown. Pour mushroom mixture over chicken in baking dish. Top with tomato slices and sliced green onions. Place Mozzarella slices over all. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes.

Serves 4 to 6.

I frequently toss a bag of frozen boneless/skinless chicken in the crockpot, dump a big jar of black bean/corn salsa on it, and cook it on low most of the day. Then I fish the meat out and dump it in my KitchenAid and watch while it shreds it all up restaurant-style. Then I toss it back in to the crock pot, grab the tortillas, and make burritos. We eat them for dinner, and I always freeze up a bunch for dh's lunches. Ridiculously easy and lots of variations possible.

I also use chicken for fajitas--quick and easy. Dh prefers steak, of course, but chicken's cheaper:).

And since I'm a fellow can't-cook-fish person:D, I discovered that if I follow to a T the directions on the back of the frozen packages of tilapia filets, I can't mess it up! I usually cover them in olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning.

I get tired of chicken, too:).

And since I'm a fellow can't-cook-fish person:D...

Oh, I just saw this part! I can't seem to cook fish to save my life either, but my DH showed me how to cook salmon fillets in a snap. I lay them in foil, rub them with olive oil, sprinkle on a little salt and a good amount of herb mix (we have some fancy one that we got on clearance somewhere, but there are lots out there for seafood), and wrap them tightly in the packets. Bake at 350 or so for around 15 minutes, and voila! They're delicious! We use thick salmon fillets, so if you're cooking something thinner like tilapia you may need less time, or a slightly lower temp.

I usually use tenders (and have been known to cut up breasts into tenders), marinate and then grill. The marinade is equal parts olive oil and lime juice, with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp cumin.

It comes from this Rachel Ray chicken breast sandwich recipe, which also includes honey and cilantro. As I have gotten lazier over the years, my own version has evolved.

The only thing my family usually eats with chicken is if I take some boneless breast saute it and then cube it. Then I make a box of chicken flavor rice a roni and just after I put in the water I dump the pre-cooked chicken in it. It's similar to the recipe on the box, but I don't like putting the chicken in the rice raw like they say because then it seems to turn rubbery.

My go to things:

Butterfly to make them even, stuff with cheese, roll up, wrap bacon around and bake

Use in stir fries.

Buttefly, make a quick stuffing of saute mushrooms/garlic/breadcrumbs, spread over the breast, roll up and tie with twine once. Bread and fry, or bread and bake (you don't HAVE to tie them if you bake because you don't need to flip them)

I don't love to cook, DH is our resident chef, but it's super easy to mix up dijon mustard and honey (even portions) and pour that over boneless chicken breast before baking. We also do something similar with yogurt and apricot preserves - I think there's more yogurt than preserves in that one, but just mix it up, pour it over the chicken then bake.

I do blackened chicken a lot, too. And throw chicken and bbq sauce in the crockpot...

1/2 our meals are made with chicken breasts. (more added since original post)

Chicken Brocoli Stir-fry on riceSweet Spicy Sticky chicken on rice

Chicken & mushroom (with a butter/flour/chicken broth gravy) on rice, sometimes on mashed potatoes

Cheesy chicken with cream of mushroom (or cream of chicken soup) cooked in the oven with rice. Can be made with different cheeses, seasonings, vegetables for different flavors.

Chicken pot pie except on rice instead of crust

Chicken fajitas

Chicken enchiladas

Chicken & elbow noodle soup

Tuscan Chicken & rice soup

Chicken Alfredo on angel hair pasta

Pasta primavera with chicken

Chicken & stove top stuffing

Chicken tortilla soup

Soup. I add chicken to almost all the soup I make

Parmesan breaded chicken - dip chicken in egg, then roll in bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese and sometimes some Italian seasonings, then bake.

Cut it into bite sized pieces and add to stir fry or chow mein

Bread and bake, then top with some swiss, jack or mozzarella cheese and broil till melted. Cover with marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce and serve wit spaghetti.

Mix pieces of cooked chicken with veggies and either gravy or cream of whatever soup, top with tater tots or mashed potatoes and bake until hot and bubbly..

Mix cooked chicken with cooked noodles, lightly steamed broccoli, carrots, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, pesto and feta cheese for a yummy hot or cold pasta dish

Chicken and cheese quesadillas

Chicken sandwich - cook the chicken, put on a hamburger bun with your favorite burger toppings

Have not read all the replies, so may be repeating:

--pot pie

--diable (mix honey, dijon mustard, butter in pan, pour over chicken, bake)

--fajitas

--stir fry

--dip in milk, coat in bread crumbs/parmesan, put in pan and drizzle w/butter/garlic and bake

--stews and soup

--chicken caesar salad

There are so many more, but I'm the queen of recipes, so I don't have a ton in my head. When I'm in a rut, I pull a cookbook from my shelf or check out a book from the library.