Menu

Ye@st Infection...Help!

Just Kate

I go through phases where I get ye@st infections frequently...looks like I'm in one of those phases right now. :glare: I got an infection a few weeks ago, and since I was on antibiotics, I just called up my doctor and he prescribed diaflucan for me. After about a week, my infection was pretty much gone. Now just a few weeks later...it is back again!

Any suggestions for treating a ye@st infection at home? I have been trying to eat more yogurt, but I only like sweetened yogurt, so I'm not sure if the sugar is counter productive. I'm also trying to drink more water. I have read lots of crazy things to try, but I would love to know if they actually worked for someone. Any ideas? Thanks! I am really dying here...ye@st infections are miserable!!!

Recurrent yeast infections often only respond to a major change in diet. Yeast can be unbelievably persistent. You should seriously consider going sugar and carb free for about six months. The first month is really, really hard, and you will feel worse (exhausted, achy) before you feel better. After that, though, you will feel better than you have in years. My dr advocated being very, very strict with the diet for about 6 weeks, and then adding in some carbs (like beans, for example) but continuing to follow the diet for a full six months. At that point you add back in carbs a little at a time.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/

The only thing that has consistently worked for me is Monistat 7 cream. I've tried diflucan, probiotics, even the higher dose monistat--none of those work for me like M7. I usually need at least 5 days of it; my gyn says to use only as many as you need to clear things up, not necessarily all 7.

To clear this one up get some Thuja place 40 to 60 drops on a tampon at night. Sleep with it and remove in the morning. Do this till it clears up.

Yes, no sugar and if you can't do no carb at least no gluten for a while. Also don't eat late at night have an early dinner. If you eat late the food stays in your gut not digesting well which can produce more yeast. Get on a high quality probiotic. Also your spouse might be passing it back to you. have him clean with vinegar before you are intimate. Clean yourself with vinegar before and after.

I had more and more frequent yeast infections before I began eating very low carb. Like one would seem to end and another would start right up. Except for an occasional "cheat" (sometimes as often as once a week, but usually less than that), I have had no grains, beans, potatoes or sugar (including fruit--there's virtually no difference between fruit & veggies except for sugar content) for 6 months. My infections are gone. Hallelujah.

As far as the previous comment about how bad you'd feel when doing very low carb, make sure you consume plenty of salt (broth works great for this), and you won't have a problem.

I had more and more frequent yeast infections before I began eating very low carb. Like one would seem to end and another would start right up. Except for an occasional "cheat" (sometimes as often as once a week, but usually less than that), I have had no grains, beans, potatoes or sugar (including fruit--there's virtually no difference between fruit & veggies except for sugar content) for 6 months. My infections are gone. Hallelujah.

As far as the previous comment about how bad you'd feel when doing very low carb, make sure you consume plenty of salt (broth works great for this), and you won't have a problem.

Also you will need to increase your fat intake, a LOT. If you like avocados, this is a good way to get in some good fats. The other thing I did was to put oil or butter on everything.

The reason why you feel awful for the first month is the combination of sugar cravings as well as the yeast die-off. There's no way around it, unfortunately, though extra salt and fats will help.

I go through phases where I get ye@st infections frequently...looks like I'm in one of those phases right now. :glare: I got an infection a few weeks ago, and since I was on antibiotics, I just called up my doctor and he prescribed diaflucan for me. After about a week, my infection was pretty much gone. Now just a few weeks later...it is back again!

Any suggestions for treating a ye@st infection at home? I have been trying to eat more yogurt, but I only like sweetened yogurt, so I'm not sure if the sugar is counter productive. I'm also trying to drink more water. I have read lots of crazy things to try, but I would love to know if they actually worked for someone. Any ideas? Thanks! I am really dying here...ye@st infections are miserable!!!

Sugar is extremely counter-productive. Go to the health food store and get a good quality pro-biotic. I think they have OTC meds for yeast infection, if you mean v*ginal.

My dr told me frequent yeast infections can be a red flag for diabetes. Has anyone heard of this before?

I hadn't heard this. I used to get an infection about every 6 months when I was on the pill, though. And even for a couple years after I stopped taking it. After that I only got one if I took an antibiotic. I did try the pill a second time and after a couple months I got an infection again. Or at least it felt like one. My gyn said there wasn't any yeast but I quickly got better after I stopped the pill again. I asked her if it might be some other issue or a systemic problem causing the infections. (I didn't specifically ask about diabetes.) She said I'd have other health issues if it was systemic and she didn't think that was my problem as I didn't have other health issues. I'm convinced it was the pill. I don't know if that's part of the OP's problem but I feel sure it was the problem for me.

Thank you so much for all of the replies! I have been googling like crazy regarding some of the suggestions (i.e. garlic and coconut oil - I have both on hand). And for those of you who suggested low carb, I honestly know that this is the way I should eat. I did the low carb thing a few months ago and felt GREAT! I'm just bad at sticking with it. However, with two yeast infections in a row, I am getting pretty miserable. This might be the push I need to try the diet again.

I think I will call my dr tomorrow and ask for diaflucan. I hate taking medications, but I am so miserable. I am also going to try the coconut oil and plain yogurt "on the site".

Thanks again!

I was thinking about the comment about it being an indication of diabetes...While I don't think it necessarily is a sign that someone is diabetic (there can certainly be other causes of yeast infections), if the yeast infection is caused by too much sugar & starch, those things can definitely negatively affect a person's health and put them on that road to diabetes. My weight had gone up quite a bit over the last few years, and in my case it was a result of sugar & starch consumption. Cutting those out and replacing them with protein & fat and non-starchy veggies has led to me losing 40 lbs (and elimination of yeast infections). I eat low carb/moderate protein/high fat.