Menu

Would you attend a church if you don't believe...

NotSoObvious

I still don't understand what you need from a church that can't be taken care of elsewhere. Community can be found in other family friendly hobby groups and religious education can be taught at home. But while I wouldn't attend a place of worship I didn't subscribe to, I don't see a problem if you want to. Plenty of people do and a congregation is either going to welcome them anyway or they won't and you'll find that out quickly. My FIL was an elder in their church and I'm pretty sure he was an atheist.

No, I wouldn't.

Well, that's not exactly true because I did. We moved from one church (liberal, Presbyterian USA) to a modern Lutheran based church. My kids had been attending the youth group there.

I spent a few years giving "yes, but" lectures.

"Yes, they believe homosexuality is wrong, but............"

"Yes, they believe that Jesus is the only way, but............"

"Yes, they don't have women as Pastors, but..........."

"Yes, they believe women should submit but............."

It was a part of why I left Christianity altogether. I believe that exposing my kids to those beliefs, as an institution, was a mistake. I think they are damaging.

All I know is that the PCA is the more conservative branch and more liturgical. If I was just researching churches, it's not one I would choose because it seems super conservative, but it's the families and people we've met that are the draw. We've been to a few events.

I'm a member of a PCA. Although the personalities of PCA churches will vary, they are all under a larger governing body and will all have to submit to that ruling authority.

The PCA is absolutely a more conservative Presbyterian denomination. I honestly don't think you'll be happy there if you are socially liberal. I'd love to have you in my church but if you are not Christian and you are socially liberal, I really don't think you would feel you would fit in.

For instance, there will be no ordained women. Women cannot serve as pastors or elders in the PCA. You will not be able to take communion. You will be hearing "Reformed" sermons which included the dreaded "predestination" idea. ;) The PCA also definitely adheres to the Westminster Confession.

The PCUSA is the more liberal Presbyterian denomination.

I certainly would never want to discourage you but I think you need to do a lot more research into the PCA before you make that move. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. :)

I would try it out because every church varies so much even in each denomination. Attending a church does not mean that you plan to become a member nor do you need to be a member to attend. Any church should be welcoming of anyone regardless of where that person stands spiritually. If you find that it isn't what you want, you can stop attending, right? Best wishes!