Menu

Christimas presents dilemma

happycc

I know the answer is probably obvious but here is always a dilemma of mine.

During the year as we we get closer to the holidays we get these catalogs like Mindware etc and the kids go and put their initials on things they want. Then I go and sneak a look at all the possibilities. I pretty much get want they want so long as it is reasonably priced and acceptable educational possible toy.

But there are always some toys that I personally want the kids to have that they would not even consider.

Like the game Spot It.

What do you do?

I have often sat down with my kids and those catalogs and as they are looking through it, I mention, "hey look at that game..it's looks interesting...wonder how its played..." and see where the conversation goes from there....if I REALLY think they would like it, but they seem uninterested in it because the other stuff looks so much cooler...I still get it...or I give the idea to someone else in our family....

I guess it depends on how you view Christmas gifts. You need to define that first.

In our house, the kids rarely get what they ask for, but always get things they would enjoy. Does that make sense? I don't buy 'hot' toys or things that aren't a good value if I can help it, and sometimes, well, I'd like to make it a true gift - not a fulfillment of a list.

This year my oldest is getting one thing he asked for but the rest are right up his interest level.

Hmm...I usually get them what I want because my choice revolves around what they really need and what they'll really use. We don't have the luxury (anymore) or desire to get a bunch of stuff they'll get bored of in a month.

I *do,* however, share their lists with the grandparents, so they always end up getting something they really want.

I agree. I try to get things that are going to be used year long. We also try to do one special thing that they really want (as long as it isn't expensive.) So in your case I would pick something they really want from the things they initialed. Then I would get the game you think would be a good fit for your family too.

We usually have a couple family presents under the tree, and some of those are always games.

I don't necessarily buy what my kids want, but mostly b/c they don't know what's a possibility. My 4yo never would have though of asking for a play kitchen, but that's what she's getting (and it is a better pick than her top want). My kids are young enough, though, that we actively direct their wants to things we are going to purchase. Their beginning Christmas lists are far different than the final version.

We put a wish list on the refrigerator after Thanksgiving. Everyone writes their big and small wishes on the list.

The children know that they are likely to get one thing from the wish list, one thing we choose to give them, and one thing they need. We interpret "need" pretty loosely. Ds11 was thrilled to get a metronome for his birthday, for example.

I am paying attention and watching year-long, so often the gifts that dh and I choose for them are the biggest hits.

DD doesn't make lists because I'll keep a list of things I think she'd like all year long and buy off that. One time I asked her if she wanted to make a list and she said, "Why? Aren't you just going to get me stuff you think I want anyway?" Hmm. She's on to me. That said she's always been very happy with her Christmas gifts. I think as adults we sometimes have a better idea of what our kids will like than they do. DD might be really excited about Squinkles that her friend has but I know that she'll get a lot more play and fun out of new dollhouse dolls or Playmobil. I'm also very picky on toys that come into our house - we have a smaller house so I don't want a bunch of toys that are going to be played with for a few weeks and then discarded hanging about.

When I was a teenager I wanted an electric guitar so bad. It was my dearest wish for Christmas. I have zero musical talent and couldn't read a note of music. I have no idea why I wanted a guitar so bad but I did. For Christmas my parents got me ... no electric guitar. Instead they got me a really nice stereo and a huge stack of Beatles CD's. That was one of the best presents I ever got. I had that stereo up until I got married and used it all the time.

Well, from the time first DS was little, our tradition was that Santa brought you one thing you asked for, one book, one cool clothing item, and one surprise. Years later, the DC are so used to this they they only bother thinking of 2 Christmas wish list items - the Santa wish and one thing from DH and I. The "surprise" item lets me get them what I think they might like, which often has been the biggest hit.

Thanks for all your responses. Finances are so tight this year that really all they can get is just one thing. And some stocking stuffers. I will definitey consider options mentioned. For the most part the things they picked are pretty reasonable although they do need some clothing items. But they would not be happy if I just bought them clothes. I can't say we have much grandparent help or other family help. It is just really their father and I that is it.

my kids have never had gift catalogues to go through and mark what they want. they've been able to say I want "a", or whatever, and I'll usually get it, but no catalogues as I think it just feeds the "I want, I want" monster.

I never felt a need to ONLY give my kids what they asked for. I'd give a few things they wanted, and things they needed, and things I chose. and if they didn't get everything they wanted, well, there's birthdays.