Menu

Black Friday Sucked Me Into WoW

Durriyyah

Groupon had World of Warcraft for $5 (includes 30 days of the subscription to play the full game), and $16 to get the 30 day subscription extension. We ended up getting one $5 deal so I could get the game, and one $16 deal so DD1 could get the game, and DH could use the 30 day subscription renewal since he already has the game.

I feel like such a nerd! Please tell me I'm not the only mom to play this game! So far I'm teetering between it being a bit monotonous and addicting... weird.

We play. Dh plays obsessively, I play more sporadically. But I've been playing for eight years now, so I've had more time to get sick of it. :p

All I have to say is that, if you have an addictive personality, run! RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!

I don't know why it's so addicting, but it really is. Not good if you ever want to get anything done ever again for the rest of your life, lol.

Heh, WoW is why my name here is Night Elf. :)

I haven't played in about 6 months so I tried logging in last week and couldn't get past something called optimization. I opened a ticket with tech support but they didn't help in the first go around. I could have worked with them more but I didn't know if I wanted to go to all that trouble. I hate when the computer doesn't cooperate. I did everything listed in the help files which was the same thing the tech guy said. So I figured it was a sign for me not to play again right now.

I also quit about a year ago after getting 2 characters to 85. it was too easy. Dh had been playing since it started and i'd been playing since for about 5 years. when i started, it was still easy for us to quest together and risk dying . . . later content was a cakewalk, no challenge. we didnt have time to raid, esp when everyone else would show up 30 minutes late and unprepared. and my homeschooling load was getting heavier, i just did not have the time.

I do miss it sometimes, and wonder if I'll try again after I'm done homeschooling. Or maybe there will be something else. but dh says he has one hobby every 10 years, and now he's moved on to serious cardboard war games (He used to play these about 20 years ago maybe?). My teen son plays sometimes - usually he'll buy 2 months of game play and play for a few weeks and get bored.

I also quit about a year ago after getting 2 characters to 85. it was too easy. Dh had been playing since it started and i'd been playing since for about 5 years. when i started, it was still easy for us to quest together and risk dying . . . later content was a cakewalk, no challenge. we didnt have time to raid, esp when everyone else would show up 30 minutes late and unprepared. and my homeschooling load was getting heavier, i just did not have the time.

Yeah, what is with WoW lately? When I started playing, you didn't get your first mount until 40, and getting to 40 was HARD. I don't even know how many weeks of my life I spent in Stranglethorn back then with my hunter, ugh. Now, my dh can make a new character and have him leveled all the way up like it's nothing. I kind of miss the days when the first 80+ levels were THE GAME, not just an annoyance to deal with before you can get to the good stuff.

I have played this game for years. I had to stop during most of 2 pregnancies because the screen gave me motion sickness. Other than that I've played pretty consistently.

I play in an unusual way (at least, I think it's unusual). A lot of my leveling is strictly from herbing and mining. I'm obsessed with the AH and have earned crazy amounts of gold. I'm sometimes worried blizzard will target me as a gold seller because I have at times had so much. I usually give it away or let my kids waste it on something then start over.

I've never found buying and reselling to work very well but what i do is go through the AH and look for the highest selling cooking items and herbs. Then I go hunt for those things and collect them.

When the AH is slow I find I lose interest in the games. btw if anyone is on icecrown alliance and wants gold, PM me! It's yours for the asking :).

Yeah, what is with WoW lately? When I started playing, you didn't get your first mount until 40, and getting to 40 was HARD. I don't even know how many weeks of my life I spent in Stranglethorn back then with my hunter, ugh. Now, my dh can make a new character and have him leveled all the way up like it's nothing. I kind of miss the days when the first 80+ levels were THE GAME, not just an annoyance to deal with before you can get to the good stuff.

Yes! I stopped playing right before Cataclysm. I started up again a month ago because my kids wanted me to play with them. The game has been dumbed down. Honestly I wish that instead of raising the level cap that they had handled expansions differently. I never got to run any of the level 60 or level 70 raids because I wasn't around when people were doing those. I did do the level 80 raids and dungeons, but probably nobody does those anymore. I watched dh do Kera and felt jealous. It looked so fun.

Pandas are just silly, but I did have fun rolling one with my 4yo. Yes. My 4yo. She showed me where to go for all the panda quests, lol.

LOL You are not alone. We played Wow for about a year but went back to Guild wars when GW2 came out. I still miss some aspects of Wow but we are loving GW2. We play with all 3 kids! I love listening to the kids and DH talking and leveling. My folks think we are crazy but it has been fun family time for us. We do like that GW2 does not have a monthy fee.....X 5 gets expensive.

Glad you are enjoying WOW!

My whole family plays - dh and I, and all three kids. It's fun being able to run 5-man dungeons in a family group. :) I think video game are so mainstream now that you shouldn't worry about being a nerd because you're playing WoW. Of course, I happily embrace my own nerdiness so I may not be the best person to offer advice on the subject.

we never had more than 3 people so we always needed at least one more to do a dungeon - I think ONCE we ran my teen son through a dungeon when he was level and we were slightly above. in fact, dhs' favorite way to play the last year we played was to 3-man dungeons at the appropriate level, with a friend. that had some challenge.

We were really disappointed when gathering/crafting started giving XP points . .. trying to level a profession and you miss out a few whole regions?

My hubby was also a big AH player . . he always had tons of money. He ran a guild once but couldnt stand the politics and kept talking about starting an invitation-only guild of people he actually ENJOYED raiding with, but never got around to it.

My current PC is not really up for it any more - 6 years old. I dont want to upgrade until I decide what i'm doing after my teen starts college - i might want a laptop so I can do some consulting work, but i'm not sure. So i'll wait.

Dh & I both use to play. I got bored with it after 4 years. Dh continued to play obsessively until he realized he had an empty house ALOT as the kids & I had a life! Haha

He misses the MMORG life whereas I don't. I'm busy. I'm not against it but just too busy with my new interests to find time for it. My dh had several 85 characters. I have only 1 and another in her 70's. I couldn't commit to the game and homeschooling and house wife fairly so I had to prioritize and I found myself paying a monthly fee for something I barely played. When dh would get home at night he went straight for the computer while my character was on /follow but rarely was I really there.

My dh is looking forward to The Elder Scrolls online. He's been out of the PC gaming life for 3 years. Now he's ready to dive back in. I got him a PS3 a couple years ago to fill the niche but its different than MMORG on the PC. So now he's saving for a PC since we sold our desktop since we already own 2 laptops and 2 iPads and I'm done with MMORG's until the kids can be a lot more independent.....probably another 3 years before I can think about it seriously.

My dh & I met on EQ 12 years ago!

My whole family plays - dh and I, and all three kids. It's fun being able to run 5-man dungeons in a family group. :) I think video game are so mainstream now that you shouldn't worry about being a nerd because you're playing WoW. Of course, I happily embrace my own nerdiness so I may not be the best person to offer advice on the subject.

Same here. Dh's nerdiness can't hold a candle to mine. ;) I was teasing him relentlessly the other night because he's never even heard of Zork. And the man is over a decade older than me! I mean, that's just sad.

Totally agree. "Vanilla WoW" was much more challenging PvE. The exp you can gain just from crafting helps increase leveling time as well. I can get 5000 + exp from picking an herb and get half that for killing a mob. Crazy. I still play but don't have nearly as much time, so I am the epitome of "casual player".

Totally agree. "Vanilla WoW" was much more challenging PvE. The exp you can gain just from crafting helps increase leveling time as well. I can get 5000 + exp from picking an herb and get half that for killing a mob. Crazy. I still play but don't have nearly as much time, so I am the epitome of "casual player".

Some people actually level by herbing-- for a lot of levels I only killed if i got attacked. For anyone who hasn't gotten pandaria yet I would recommend it, if for nothing else but the art/ graphics in pandaria. It's unbelievably beautiful. IMO the game is as easy or difficult as you make it. That's one of the beauties of it.

We aren't obsessed.........I only have 32 different toons spread over four servers, both allie and horde. DH has only eighteen. I'm not sure how many toons the kids have all together. My younger kids learned to read so they could play too. We live to pvp. In fact, we have a video splitter thingie on the computer monitor so the one of us can put our screen on the big screen tv so the younger kids can watch mom and dad fight in the battlegrounds.........

Blizzard loves us. :thumbup:

We've been gaming since the beginning of gaming. I could hardly bear to part with Ancient Anguish when Wow and Everquest came out. Now I can't even imagine how immersed I was in the original text based muds in the 'olden days' when it was amazing to have fifty people on via telnet and dial-up internet. I'm not even going to talk about the D&D of my youth......played on the kitchen table with actual DICE long before personal computers were even invented, grasshopper.

My dh and I played from a few months after vanilla released until the end of Cata (with a few breaks for moving and life in between). But, we beta tested Pandaria, and decided to cancel and didn't buy the expac. The story is getting more out there, and I'm a huge lore fan - always read the quests! I also hated, hated what they did with the latest talent tree revamping - it's tiresome to have to relearn how to play a class you've fallen in love with (I started with a priest, and never really got into anything else).

But, mostly, our lives are just getting busier and we don't have much time for it. We were also big raiders, and now that we can't stick to a schedule like that, it isn't much fun to just run around picking herbs or doing dailies. So, I think we may have said our final good-byes! My dh is in the hunt for another MMO, though.

you guys are making me want to go check in on my toons lol . . . 85 hunter who was draeni but switched to horde after a bad guild break-up . .. palimom, my male dwarf paladin . ... minimagiz, my gnome mage . . . and cowmommy the druid . . . (see a name trend? the youngest helped me roll a lot of them lol)

sometimes i have a sudden memory of a 'place' dh and I 'were' together . .. remembering places we quested together . . . and i want to go back lol

some day . . . .

Guild Wars 2 is really perfect for us. They fixed all the stuff the bugged us with WoW. It's very casual gamer friendly, but it still feels epic. They have events where everyone can join in and help, get loot, xp, titles, etc. They way they built it, it creates a friendly player atmosphere. There is no dps meter, no mods, no kill stealing. You do damage, you get xp for it. There are no pure healer classes, you are responsible for keeping yourself alive. There are many ways to heal and like Borderlands (which I didn't play, but dh did) once your health gets low enough you go down and have 4 abilities you can use. You can heal yourself back up or if something around you dies you get a second wind and are back in play. The dailies are for doing normal things like events, gathering 10 items. Speaking of gathering, you can gather anything as long as you have the tools and the nodes are there for everyone. Every node is individually instanced, so no node stealing. There's a separate bank that automatically stores all of your gathering materials. There's only one questline and it's for your class. Everything else is sort of an mini event that may or may not be repeatable. The best part it you get automatically downscaled to match the zone you are in. So dh and ds can play with slow poke me and still get xp and items that match their true level, yep their true level, not the level of the zone.

I could go on and on. It's definitely worth looking into.

I agree about GW2....it is worth looking into. My hubby was playing Tera which I hated so I told him I was going to play GW2 with our old guild from GW1. He reluctantly came to GW2 to play with me. He LOVES it and has thanked me : )

It is a great player friendly game and we love the no monthly fee aspect! The 5 of us enjoy playing together.

Guild Wars 2 is really perfect for us. They fixed all the stuff the bugged us with WoW. It's very casual gamer friendly, but it still feels epic. They have events where everyone can join in and help, get loot, xp, titles, etc. They way they built it, it creates a friendly player atmosphere. There is no dps meter, no mods, no kill stealing. You do damage, you get xp for it. There are no pure healer classes, you are responsible for keeping yourself alive. There are many ways to heal and like Borderlands (which I didn't play, but dh did) once your health gets low enough you go down and have 4 abilities you can use. You can heal yourself back up or if something around you dies you get a second wind and are back in play. The dailies are for doing normal things like events, gathering 10 items. Speaking of gathering, you can gather anything as long as you have the tools and the nodes are there for everyone. Every node is individually instanced, so no node stealing. There's a separate bank that automatically stores all of your gathering materials. There's only one questline and it's for your class. Everything else is sort of an mini event that may or may not be repeatable. The best part it you get automatically downscaled to match the zone you are in. So dh and ds can play with slow poke me and still get xp and items that match their true level, yep their true level, not the level of the zone.

I could go on and on. It's definitely worth looking into.

I agree with this, I am loving GW2 at the moment.

I never did get into WoW, I was more an EQ then EQ2 girl, plus a bunch of others since. I am really enjoying GW2 and I love the no subsciption model, it makes it nice if you take a break for a few weeks, since you don't feel like you are wasting your money.

One thing about GW2 though, it is a lot more fun with a group once you get into the upper levels, sure you can do a pickup dungeon or World vs World pvp on your own, but it is a lot more fun with the Guild part of Guild Wars. Fortunately there are a lot of casual, family friendly guilds around if you know where to look.