Menu

What do you know about Earobics?

kRenee

My 9yo ds had an evaluation with a neuropsych a few weeks ago. Her official report will be coming in a few more weeks, but in the meantime she suggested I get and start using Earobics.

It seems Earobics works on phonemic awareness, introductory phonics, blending, segmenting, rhyming words, attention and memory skills.

My son can read quite well. I don't see him having any problem with any of the above with the possible exception being memory skills.

In your experience, does Earobics seem like the right program for him?

Karen

We used it when our kids were very little. It was a fun, pre-school game, that had activities that you had to listen to and then click the correct answer. If you son can already read quite well, I don't know that the version we used (ten years ago!) would be helpful... can you see a demo? When we bought the software, it was inexpensive (about $30 as I recall).

( which is a big if these days :-) there was an older version as well. The version we used 3-4 years ago was too young IMHO for a 9yr old esp. one that is already reading well. My dd used the program to help with auditory processing during speech therapy and for additional practice at home. It was very good for what we used it for but I would be hesitant to pay $40-50 in your situation with out a specific reason for the program. Perhaps you could google "Earobics and see if there is a higher level. I hope this helps some,

Cindy H.

( excuse me if I am not coherent because I have been in a Nyquil haze for 3 days now :-)

My 9yo ds had an evaluation with a neuropsych a few weeks ago. Her official report will be coming in a few more weeks, but in the meantime she suggested I get and start using Earobics.

It seems Earobics works on phonemic awareness, introductory phonics, blending, segmenting, rhyming words, attention and memory skills.

My son can read quite well. I don't see him having any problem with any of the above with the possible exception being memory skills.

In your experience, does Earobics seem like the right program for him?

Karen

It does not seem like the right program. It's helpful for young children who have difficulty with auditory processing (that shows up in difficulty learning to read). It's also just generally helpful for preschool children to build up subskills necessary for reading. It can also be useful for children with verbal dyspraxia (usually with the side effect of having difficulty learning to read). Unless your son has verbal dyspraxia, I can't imagine this program at any level being useful to him. Most 9yos would be bored stiff with it anyway.

I would wait until you get the full report.