Menu

Math U See Question

Guest Julia

My boys have used Math U See since Kindergarten. They have done very well with this curriculum. However, my oldest is in 5th grade and I'm thinking ahead to higher math. Do any of you have experience with using Math U See for Algebra and beyond? Did your children find it easy to understand? Did they do well on SAT or ACT tests after using Math U See? Your input and experience would be helpful.

Thanks,

Julia

I'm not an expert but my dd14 did MUS Algebra 1. When it was over, she didn't feel confident with the material at all and asked to do a traditional school approach instead. We use a private accredited high school so she enrolled in a class that used a typical public school textbook. She said there were a few concepts that she didn't remember Mr. Steve discussing but that she did feel more prepared for the 2nd round of Algebra. Personally I think she lacked confidence in her math ability because she started public high school this year as a freshman and decided to take their regular Algebra class again. She wasn't confident to take the advanced class even though she had 2 years of it! I do remember her enjoying the way Mr. Steve taught.

You might want to ask on the high school board to see if you get a more direct answer.

• 2 months later...

MUS is definitely lighter than a lot of other math programs. I have used MUS, Jacobs, Key to, and Kinetic Books for Algebra I. The lightest by far is MUS.

Key to is a step up from MUS. It goes a little deeper, has slightly more difficult problems, and goes all the way to the quadratic equation (most Algebra I programs do, but MUS and TT do not).

Jacobs is very traditional for Algebra I. It covers everything that it should, has review problems in every lesson (set 1) and is all-around a pretty neat program.

Kinetic Books is my favorite. It goes deeper than any of the others I have listed. It has immediate feedback for most of the problems and has stepped help for most of the problems as well.

My oldest used Jacobs Algebra, Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II, Larson's Precalculus, and Lial's Trigonometry (because Larson's confused her so bad that she had to repeat the trig portion).

My middle used Jacobs and Kinetic Books together for Algebra I (and then dropped Jacobs and used just KB), Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II, Lial's Precalculus, and now Thinkwell Calculus.

Both of them preferred Kinetic Books over all the other math programs they have ever used.

My middle dd says that the videos for Thinkwell Calculus are nice, but the problem sets are MUCH more complicated than any of the examples (and she's right, it's a common complaint for this program).

You'll probably notice that I'm using MUS for my youngest. She is dyslexic and math is a struggle for her. MUS meets her where she is. I tried Jacobs and Key to and Lial's and A Fresh Approach with her. All of those programs were too complicated. MUS is very doable. The other programs just aren't for her. I'm planning to keep her in MUS all the way through high school. She shouldn't need to take anything beyond College Algebra in college and hopefully that will just be a review at a deeper level of what we've already covered in MUS, so she'll be able to handle it.

MUS is definitely lighter than a lot of other math programs. I have used MUS, Jacobs, Key to, and Kinetic Books for Algebra I. The lightest by far is MUS.

Key to is a step up from MUS. It goes a little deeper, has slightly more difficult problems, and goes all the way to the quadratic equation (most Algebra I programs do, but MUS and TT do not).

Jacobs is very traditional for Algebra I. It covers everything that it should, has review problems in every lesson (set 1) and is all-around a pretty neat program.

Kinetic Books is my favorite. It goes deeper than any of the others I have listed. It has immediate feedback for most of the problems and has stepped help for most of the problems as well.

My oldest used Jacobs Algebra, Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II, Larson's Precalculus, and Lial's Trigonometry (because Larson's confused her so bad that she had to repeat the trig portion).

My middle used Jacobs and Kinetic Books together for Algebra I (and then dropped Jacobs and used just KB), Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II, Lial's Precalculus, and now Thinkwell Calculus.

Both of them preferred Kinetic Books over all the other math programs they have ever used.

My middle dd says that the videos for Thinkwell Calculus are nice, but the problem sets are MUCH more complicated than any of the examples (and she's right, it's a common complaint for this program).

You'll probably notice that I'm using MUS for my youngest. She is dyslexic and math is a struggle for her. MUS meets her where she is. I tried Jacobs and Key to and Lial's and A Fresh Approach with her. All of those programs were too complicated. MUS is very doable. The other programs just aren't for her. I'm planning to keep her in MUS all the way through high school. She shouldn't need to take anything beyond College Algebra in college and hopefully that will just be a review at a deeper level of what we've already covered in MUS, so she'll be able to handle it.

This is a great review! I find it extremely useful. Is Geometry available for KB? I'm really leaning towards using it for my 9th grader next year for Alg 1 and if Geometry is available my 10th could use it for Geometry.

If your children do well with MUS, then I think the algebra will suit them well. It isn't quite fair to compare MUS Algebra 1 to other Algebra 1 courses; Algebra 1 takes a slow-but-deep approach, with some topics delayed until Algebra 2; Algebra 2 itself moves much more quickly, taking advantage of the foundations that were laid.

I will say that the Honors sections in Algebra are not really advanced work with the algebra topics, but rather complex problems with real-life applications. I ended up speaking to MUS about these sections (not to complain --just trying to figure out whether to require them for my particular student) and learned that one main goal of the Honors questions is to point out real-life math applications. These are usually business type applications, not higher maths or sciences, and might interest your students or be useful to them -- I mean to say, you may wish to do them even if you don't think the child is necessarily wanting Honors work.

One reason to move from Math U See is if you have an especially mathematically or scientifically inclined child. In that case, you could try an AoPS course (either prealgebra, which is a good course and quite meaty, or algebra) or, if your or another adult is comfortable teaching it, Singapore's secondary math. And Jacob's (mentioned above) is apparently excellent, though I haven't seen it myself.

Both of my big boys used MUS for Geometry and Alg2. My second son also used it for Alg1. My youngest is using MUS Geometry and will use MUS Precalculus next year.

My oldest is dyslexic and I wish I had switched him sooner. The strongest portions of his ACT were the ones he had covered with Steve Demme. After his first attempt on the ACT, he went to Kumon and started back in long division. He covered 6 levels of Kumon in about a year and a half roughly reviewing the basic skills from 4th grade math through Alg1. He needed a mastery approach in order to process the information. His improvement came through much hard work and dedication on his part. I do not think this would have been necessary if he had used MUS when he was little. He also went to math tutor. His junior year he took college Alg and made a B without problems. For his major he needs no more math.

I wish I had left my second son in Saxon. It was working for him, but MUS was fine. He went through some teenage brain fog and I had him repeat Alg2 with TT. Then, he did PreCalc with a standard text. His senior year instead of calculus he took PreCalc Alg and then PreCalc trig at the community college. The college he is attending had him take a placement test in order to receive credit for Trig. He blew it out of the water and they asked both by email and snail mail if he was certain he didn't want to test for credit in calculus. He is majoring in computer science and this fall took Discrete Math. He found it ridiculously easy. So, I don't think MUS hurt him.

My youngest is very young, so I wanted to used a geometry program that covered the basics without being proof heavy. He is also using TT Alg 2. He will use MUS PreCalc next year. The year after that the plan is to move to a college text and repeat PreCalc.

No, MUS is not super rigorous, but it covers the information that is on the ACT. Also, for some students it may be just what they need to understand what they are doing!

HTH-

Mandy

We've used MUS from Epsilon through Algebra 2 (currently). My oldest thrives on it. He did PLAN testing (from ACT) this year and did very well on the math section, although math is his weakness. He actually missed no Geometry problems, although he was only 2/3 of the way through Geometry at the time.

My dd used MUS for Epsilon-Algebra 1, but half way through Algebra I decided she needed a change. She was bored, had a 100% in the class and was making no effort. It was just too easy for her. We switched to Lial's Introductory Algebra. It was an easy switch, she had covered half the Lial's book. However, it has more challenging problems, the same concepts, just more challenge. She is doing much better with it. Still getting an A, but actually complains less about math. Go figure.

If your boys like MUS, there is no reason to switch. If they aren't challenged with the higher levels, it isn't hard to change later.

BTW, I should add that I'm planning to have dd do MUS Geometry. It is light on proofs, heavy on formulas and what is needed for college entrance exams. The child has no interest in math or math related fields (which would induce me to use something proof heavy) and I think MUS Geometry is absolutely awesome!

This isn't a specific answer to your question...but thought it could be useful to someone anyway.

My dd (8th grade) has struggled with math (I think she just doesn't like it!) and has a hard time with spiral maths. I used ACE to catch her up to grade level by using the PACES that the online placement recommends. Now she is using MUS pre-algebra. The math is not hard for her. But she is understanding and retaining. And she still balks about there being letters in math. lol! She dislikes the honors lessons because they make her think outside the box of what she has learned. Sometimes I have her do them, sometimes not.

What I like about MUS is that the lessons are based on exactly what Mr. Demme discussed in the video. I like that a subject doesn't have to be difficult for my dd to learn and understand.

BUT I don't think I will use MUS for my son (3rd grade) who is math and mechanically minded because he would be bored stiff.

This is a great review! I find it extremely useful. Is Geometry available for KB? I'm really leaning towards using it for my 9th grader next year for Alg 1 and if Geometry is available my 10th could use it for Geometry.

KB does have their geometry program available now. It was listed as "coming soon" for at least 2 years before they finally released it though. I wish it went higher than Algebra II.

• 5 months later...
Guest BostonBaker

I agree with Serendipitous. I have used MUS all the way through Calculus. My kids enjoyed it, did well on the ACT, and also in college. My youngest is 18. My little sister is using the pre-k through Gamma right now. I have zero complaints. It is easy to use & understand. You can't compare it with others, as it is set up differently as Serendipitous mentioned. I was pleased with my kids ACT results & they are not math lovers! My youngest is dyslexic, and MUS was by far the best program for him. He finished with pre-calculus his senior year and still did well on the ACT. I'm keeping all of my MUS, Story of the World, etc for grandkids and family to use!

I am glad to see so many people are using MUS through the later grades without regrets. My oldest is 5th grade and just nearing the end of Delta. My plan right now is to stick with MUS unless there is a real problem with it in our family, and not switch because I'm hoping for the Platonic ideal of math programs. :) 

For those with kids bored in MUS, did you make them stay in a lesson past getting 100%? One of the things I love about MUS is how flexible it is for moving ahead if they get it or staying with a lesson if they don't. If my kids get 100% on a systematic review page, they do the next lesson the next day, even if that was the first day of that lesson. And, if it was a difficult lesson for them, I wait until they get 100% two days in a row before moving them on. So lessons might take one day or three weeks. My oldest is still a tad "behind" (but I love how Mr. Demme says there is no such thing: students are always right where they are, and our job is to help them keep going), but that was because he was late to click with math, so Alpha took a little over 2 years. Since that, he's been taking about 3/4 of a year to finish a book, and I wouldn't be surprised if it only takes him half a year to do Epsilon next year. My second son is a math natural and in Gamma in 2nd grade, though he didn't quite finish. He still has 5 lessons now in the beginning of third grade now and he'll move on to Delta. 

MUS's progression and mastery approach is the only thing that makes me think it might actually be possible to get to Calculus ever, in a homeschool with me as a teacher. :) Because I trust Mr. Demme to teach it clearly and with humor, and because I know we'll get there based on being ready for it and not just because we're moving through books because the school year changed. I was homeschooled and only got halfway through Algebra 2 in Saxon, before it became evident I had no clue what I was doing. I was flying under the radar on purpose, because who is going to ask for math help if she hates math and *can* fly under the radar? :) 

I have used MUS and Saxon with my daughters.  After getting through Zeta my older dd needed more review of fractions/decimals and percents, so we did a year of Saxon.  It paid off, but now my older dd likes Saxon better.  She is in pre-algebra and it is going fine.  I have no idea what we will do for Algebra and beyond, but I appreciate the posts made on this thread.  I am so glad there are all kinds of curricula for all kinds of students, so we can all pick something that works for each of our children.

Sheri

Dd didn't do well with algebra 1 the first time around. I really think it wasn't the program(s) but a brain maturity thing for her. She is accelerated in most areas but every once in a while we have to step back and let her brain catch up to the math concepts. After trying 3 different algebra programs I dropped it and ordered MUS geometry. She did that the rest of the year without issue. This year we will finish geometry the first part of the year then go back and give algebra another go. With luck we will start MUS algebra 2 next year for 10th.

I have a very 'mathy' child, and he did MUS Algebra when he was in 7th grade and Geometry in 8th. I guess I never paid attention to whether he was bored or not; I just made him do the work and he went along at his own pace; sometimes slower, sometimes blowing through lessons in a couple of days. I required him to do all of the honors pages. When he went to take the first semester test at the public school (so he could receive high school credit for the class), we found that some of the terminology was different, and he didn't always know what they were asking. He got a 78% and was totally shocked. Once we went back over the test and he figured out where the discrepancies were he was able to readjust. He got a 93% on his final exam. No problems with Geometry credits -- high 90s both semesters. When he reached 9th grade we decided to put him in at a local private school, and he started Algebra 2 with them. He had no problems picking up their curriculum. He scored in the high 90s both semesters. 

All that to say, even very mathematically-minded kids can excel with MUS. :)