Menu

If this is your first year making a Tofurkey....

I wanted to share my tofurkey making experience. Of course, a vegetarian or vegan thanksgiving does not require the making of a tofurkey. But, my children like it. So, I wanted to share. DO NOT make the marinade/basting liquid they have on the box. It will make your tofurkey dark and salty.

Instead, put it in the crockpot and cover with the gravy that comes with it or make your own in the crockpot and then put the tofurkey in there. You can keep some broth nearby it case it gets a little thick. We make mushroom gravy here because my kids are wild about mushrooms.

I have a small crockpot that is one tofurkey size. But, you should be able to get two in a larger one.

Tofurkey freezes wonderfully. So, if you find a few extra please freeze for the rest of the year. I used to be able to find them easily. Now I have had to raincheck and beg for them locally.

Have a happy Thanksgiving. Give thanks for your friends and family.

Thanks for this!

So, put the Tofurkey in the crockpot, cover it with the gravy it comes with, BUT for how long(would you suggest)? Low or high???

This is our first year doing a Tofurkey and I am have no idea how to cook it so I am really glad for the input :hurray: !!!

We hated the Tofurkey. For our "vegan T'giving within a traditional T'giving", we've decided our food doesn't have to look like the traditional T'giving foods. We've changed to a harvest foods focus. We make things like "winter root vegetable pie" which is like shepard's pie but with beans or lentils instead of the meat, and featuring the veggies more so than the beans. Plus - vegan pumpkin pie! It's all about the pies anyway, right? :coolgleamA:

Guest inoubliable

I wanted to share my tofurkey making experience. Of course, a vegetarian or vegan thanksgiving does not require the making of a tofurkey. But, my children like it. So, I wanted to share. DO NOT make the marinade/basting liquid they have on the box. It will make your tofurkey dark and salty.

Instead, put it in the crockpot and cover with the gravy that comes with it or make your own in the crockpot and then put the tofurkey in there. You can keep some broth nearby it case it gets a little thick. We make mushroom gravy here because my kids are wild about mushrooms.

I have a small crockpot that is one tofurkey size. But, you should be able to get two in a larger one.

Tofurkey freezes wonderfully. So, if you find a few extra please freeze for the rest of the year. I used to be able to find them easily. Now I have had to raincheck and beg for them locally.

Have a happy Thanksgiving. Give thanks for your friends and family.

This. So much, this! The first time I made a Tofurkey, I went with the instructions that came with it. It was foul. It was a good thing that we hadn't made it for Thanksgiving - it was just a dinner that we decided to try it out with. And, yes! What's up with only being able to find them during the holidays now?? I hadn't thought of it before, but I think I will go ahead and pick up a few for the rest of the year. We're doing the chickpea cutlets but having some Tofurkey on hand for Tofurkey rice soup later in the winter will be nice!

Oh yes, the one and only time I made a Tofurkey, it was not good because I used all the stuff it came with according to the instructions. I might have to give it another try without that icky basting liquid!

Usually for Thanksgiving, I make the Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon.

Sounds just like me! If you make it without that crap that comes with it, though, it's good. We still do chickpea cutlets for T-day, though.

So wait, the stuff it comes with is yucky?

For those of you who LIKE Tofurkey, what did you do exactly (please explain as if I were 5 years old.... :laugh: ).

We usually do other things for Thanksgiving, but this year I decided to be "fun"...

Thanks for this!

So, put the Tofurkey in the crockpot, cover it with the gravy it comes with, BUT for how long(would you suggest)? Low or high???

This is our first year doing a Tofurkey and I am have no idea how to cook it so I am really glad for the input :hurray: !!!

I just cook it till dinner. It doesn't really have to cook. Just heat up. Sorry if that isn't helpful. I do thaw mine in the fridge.

We hated the Tofurkey. For our "vegan T'giving within a traditional T'giving", we've decided our food doesn't have to look like the traditional T'giving foods. We've changed to a harvest foods focus. We make things like "winter root vegetable pie" which is like shepard's pie but with beans or lentils instead of the meat, and featuring the veggies more so than the beans. Plus - vegan pumpkin pie! It's all about the pies anyway, right? :coolgleamA:

My kids love the thing. I like to do stuffed acorn squash as my centerpiece but they think that is silly. I don't normally do thanksgiving elsewhere. But, this is my sister's first chance to host and I will probably be moving a few states away in the Spring. So, I am going to make peace and take my tofurkey.

On a side note...does anyone else have the Safeway ad on the radio? It says something like the best guest at Thanksgiving is the Turkey at the center of your table. Poor Turkey. Last time I checked a dead guest isn't the best guest.

Is Tofurkey soy based?

I LOVE the Field Roast stuff. Our local HFS has many flavors right now so I plan to stock up.

I couldn't take turkey away from the family. :(. Mainly dh and ds20. But I am in turmoil over it.

I think it is gluten based but not soy free. I love the Field Roast, too. I know a local deli slices it. I have secretly wished I could get a large deli size field roast and slice it on one of the big slicers when I want.

Guest inoubliable

On a side note...does anyone else have the Safeway ad on the radio? It says something like the best guest at Thanksgiving is the Turkey at the center of your table. Poor Turkey. Last time I checked a dead guest isn't the best guest.

We heard that ad (or something very similar to it) in the car last weekend. Gag.

Oh yes, the one and only time I made a Tofurkey, it was not good because I used all the stuff it came with according to the instructions. I might have to give it another try without that icky basting liquid!

Usually for Thanksgiving, I make the Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon.

I need to try these. I always see positive remarks on the internet! I used to like chicken fried steak and was hoping maybe it had that same kind of comfort feeling. I can make a mean vegan white gravy. So, if I had something flat to pour it on beside a biscuit, I would be happy.

So wait, the stuff it comes with is yucky?

For those of you who LIKE Tofurkey, what did you do exactly (please explain as if I were 5 years old.... :laugh: ).

We usually do other things for Thanksgiving, but this year I decided to be "fun"...

No, it is the directions on the box. It tells you to make a marinade with soy sauce and then baste it with the stuff. But, it turns it all brown and salty. Then you bake it and marinade it and it turns into a salty dry wheat roast. Blech.

It needs to cook in the crockpot with gravy. I roll it around a few times for good measure. I was worried it would fall apart. But, I never had problems with that.

I think it is gluten based but not soy free. I love the Field Roast, too. I know a local deli slices it. I have secretly wished I could get a large deli size field roast and slice it on one of the big slicers when I want.

I bought several Field Roast items today for treats. The Harvest Roast looks especially yummy! I guess it comes in a larger loaf but the HFS was sold out. I bought a meatloaf sized one and thinly sliced it and tossed it into salads before. I also buy the lentil slices when the family and I go to the beach and they all have subs. I only had it a few times but I *really* liked it!

Hey, my kids love tofurkey also :laugh: I haven't make one in years. I seem to remember I just wrapped it in foil and heated it up. No biggie. I think the last time I made one was... there was a reason I needed a holiday meal to be super easy. I was either pregnant or had a baby? Anyway, it's been years, but we liked it.

Then I sliced it and served it with mashed potatos etc, etc, etc. It is pretty small, not really enough for a family of 4. My 12 year old could prob eat a whole one on his own. It might take him a little while, but he could do it. Heck, I should let him try, because it would make him really happy.

I've heard very good thing about Field Roast. I can get Tofurkey all year long around here, but I haven't ever seen Field Roast.

We had a friend bring a Paneer based tofurkey last night and it was really good. Paneer is available at Indian grocery stores. It is dairy based - like hung yoghurt I think. He pressed it into a round bowl and then filled with a yummy stuffing. It set in the fridge for a day and then came right out of the bowl onTHanksgiving. When he "carved" it you got a slice of paneer filled with stuffing...it was really good!