Menu

email subscription to posts - make it the default setting please!

ThePW

On most of the other forums I frequent the default setting is that you are automatically subscribed to posts and you are then emailed when someone responds, you don't have to check a box somewhere in order to make that happen.

This is helpful beacuse if you post something and someone doesn't respond right away, or if the post is old and you've forgotten about it or you simply don't frequent the forum on a regular basis then you miss out on potentially useful responses.

Simply put, it's easier to expect new users to unsubscribe from posts via an email than to have them looking around for the subscribe box when they write new posts, especially if they are not overly familiar with forums and how they work.

I don't want emails about posts I follow. What I would like to do is what I could do before the upgrade, and that is find my control panel or equivalent and where I can quickly see which threads I subscribe to have new posts. Much of this is going very slowly right now, so it's been difficult to find out how I can do this. I couldn't even long on until I said I'd forgotten my password even though I put in the correct one more than once.

I'm with ThePw -- I'm used to having the email subscription as the default setting, and find it makes it easier to have a conversation. And I agree that making it the default makes it easier for new users to catch on to the feature, and enter into the life of the community. It discourages drive-by posting wherein people post something and then wander off. Also, I was always amazed at how many people didn't even realize it was possible to subscribe/unsubscribe, get email notification, etc.

I had it set as my personal default on the previous board. I turned it off on those posts that I didn't care to get emails about, such as condolence threads. It was easy-peasy quick to click unsubscribe on individual threads before. I've no clue now as about half the time I can't even open threads to read them.

I think having it as the default for everyone and then having the option to turn it off of your entire account would be the best. Honestly, that's what I'm used to on other boards.

You can set up whether or not you want to auto-sub when you post, and also how/if you are notified. Explore the various "settings" options by clocking on your username, way way up at the very top of the page, to the left of where it says "sign out". I can't say I fully understand the various options, but rest assured that there are many of them!

One of the first things I did was go in and set up so that I do not receive *any* emails. If it defaulted to getting emails for everything, I'd be a very unhappy camper. I currently have over 1200 unread emails in my inbox already - and those are things that I signed up to receive emails for!

I also wouldn't want to be automatically subscribed because 99% of the time when I post, the replies will have no bearing on my life so if I never see them, it's no big deal. I only subscribe to a small # of threads in comparison to my post count - and most of my subscribed threads, I've never posted on (old threads from searches on curriculum or subject info) but they contain useful info that I want to keep handy.

One of the first things I did was go in and set up so that I do not receive *any* emails. If it defaulted to getting emails for everything, I'd be a very unhappy camper. I currently have over 1200 unread emails in my inbox already - and those are things that I signed up to receive emails for!

I also wouldn't want to be automatically subscribed because 99% of the time when I post, the replies will have no bearing on my life so if I never see them, it's no big deal. I only subscribe to a small # of threads in comparison to my post count - and most of my subscribed threads, I've never posted on (old threads from searches on curriculum or subject info) but they contain useful info that I want to keep handy.

agree. i unsubscribe from emails on 98% of the sites i visit. i don't need my email cluttered with that stuff. i've finally cleaned out my primary "personal" email to less than 20 posts, but my "junk" email has over 15000 in it. yeah, don't need another auto email thing.