Menu

What does a NNAT score of 136 mean...other than qualifying for MENSA?

I would appreciate any help with this. My DS was tested and placed in the Gifted program when he was in public school. Since we pulled the kids out, we have not done anything special as far as curriculum goes. I pretty much follow the guidelines in the Well Trained Mind.

I don't know exactly what his score means...other than he would be accepted into MENSA if I were to submit his score. If anyone can better explain what this score means and if I should be using more challenging curriculum I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Well not to downplay it too much, but I don't see how it could mean very much. http://harcourtassessment.com/haiweb/cultures/en-us/productdetail.htm?pid=015-8706-005 It's a 25-30 minute, "quick" assessment. It didn't go into all the areas, types of intelligences, or look for the dc's weaknesses. It simply means compared to 1500, your dc places somewhere in the gifted range. There is a range of "giftedness," and a score like that is just squeaking by. That's like me, I might know what my scores were, but they weren't enough to brag about, lol. Here's some more info http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests.htm

There have been threads in the past in this forum about what responsibilities accompany ability, should you teach differently, blah blah. You can read through and find them for yourself. Personally, if your dc is happy and thriving, seems to me you're doing enough. If he's crying, acting sullen, asking for more, seems unfulfilled or unstimulated, then obviously you need to do some more. It's possible to do more academically (as in more latin, more math, etc.) and not really be giving them the "more" they need.

Thanks for the links Elizabeth. I had actually looked at both of those before I posted. The Harcourt site just gives an overview of the exam (style of test, time, etc) and not what the scoring range is - that't only available to the professionals:). The hoagies site just links back to the Harcourt site.

I guess I need to phrase my question better and will probably re-post a better way. I was looking for information on what the range of scores were...

120 - 130 means ___

131 - 140 means ___

141 - 150 means ___

151 - 160 means ___

You get the idea. I don't know what the "top" score is, I have searched online trying to find this information. The public school that tested him has the lowest score for admitance into the "gifted" program set at 120...so I'm just trying to find out where DS falls on a scale.

I don't by any means think that we have something to brag about;), and that was not my intention with this post. I hope that I haven't offended anyone! I'm just trying to gather information to help me in planning school for DS, that's all and figured that someone on the accelerated board would be able to answer my question.

Thanks again for helping! :)You are the only one who replied...thanks!

I'm gifted and I believe my children might be too, so I've been doing some research on this topic lately. Most of it says that the testing scores aren't that useful when you're homeschooling since homeschooling usually is tailored to the children anyway. What I have found interesting was the differences in learning styles (visual-spatial versuis audio-sequential, for example) and that they can have a profound effect on how to teach the children (and what curriculum to select). I'm not familiar with the test your son took but it would be more useful to you if there was evidence of his strengths and weaknesses.

I believe that the WTM can be easily tailored to any learning style, BTW.

Well I'll put it another way. I assume those scores roughly correlate to what they think an IQ score would come out as. As you say, 120 is the bright end of normal and 160 profoundly gifted. At that 135-145 range, you're in the nicely gifted, moderately gifted. Enough to get into trouble but not enough to amaze. So that's just my guess, that it's roughly a reflection of where they think the IQ scores would be. They say you used to be able to do that with the SAT scores, dropping the last zero and getting an approximation of your IQ score. (1600 score would equate more or less to a 160 IQ) But that was on the old tests, don't know about these days.

Are you happy with what you're doing? Education is such a tricky thing. I think sometimes you have to ride a narrow line between classical and unschooling to really strike it, that balance of progress and freedom. My personal opinion, and this is only my opinion, is not to be afraid to teach the gifted. Sometimes people get too wrapped up in thoughts of this or that and think it's all gonna happen naturally. A little good instruction goes a long way and heads off some problems. (Nothing worse than having ability but little skill or knowledge, kwim?) On the other hand, you don't need to work so terribly hard to cram their heads; just give them freedom and supplies and it will happen. So that's the balance to me: quality instruction at their ability level in the skills, but plenty of time and freedom to pursue content stuff in their own way. As long as you're doing that and your dc is happy, you're probably doing enough. But "enough" with a gifted dc, or let's just say one slightly above the curve, may need to be a lot more than what WTM suggests.

I'm not familiar with this test but I agree with the pp who said that WTM may not be enough for some gifted children. I know that it's not enough to follow SWB's suggestions at grade level for my ds and he's on the lower end of the gifted scale according to his IQ test. We have to modify by several grade levels and tweek quite a bit because he's asynchronous in his development. The only WTM suggestion that I've found helpful (at level) are the math suggestions... which is ds's weak area.

If it's working at level for your ds then I'd go with it... but maybe spice it up every once in a while... adding an extra requirement or project that he might find interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest u2panich

I don't have a whole lot of information, but when my 7 year old was tested in the spring, he scored a 139. I was told that the max was 150, and that the school corporation he is in did not see scores at that level very often. However, I believe the scores can mean somewhat different things depending on the age of the child. It is not truly an IQ test, so a score of 136 does not mean that the child's IQ is 136. Also, this test is often used in conjuction with other more traditional IQ tests in order to give a "well-rounded" assessment of the childs intelligence. The NNAT tests a childs ability to solve problems spatially rather than verbally.

Don't know if that helps at all. It has been difficult to find info on this test and what the scores mean since it is not as commonly used.