Menu

Transcript Help: Do you give a higher GPA for honors courses?

Here is how our local PS calculates weighted grades. Honors A = 5.0. I list both weighted and unweighted on ds's transcript. That way, whoever looks at it can do what they will with the information.

In our county, they recognize student athletes with high GPAs:

Pinellas County all-academic teams

As an official homeschooler, it is more difficult to collect various awards and recognitions for college applications. This is the reason I show both GPAs.

HTH!

From what I am seeing, (and I could be wrong) each course has it's own gpa and then you add those together and multiply by the number of courses for a cumulative gpa.

No, each course has its own course grade, typically a letter grade, which can be converted to a corresponding number grade.

GPA means grade point average - to average, you need more than one.

No, each course has its own course grade, typically a letter grade, which can be converted to a corresponding number grade.

Exactly, although typically, an A=4 points, B=3 points, C=2 points, D=1 point. I guess an A in an honor course could be 5 points. Those points are added up and then averaged: Grade Point Average.

While I didn't word it this way, this is what I meant. I assigned letter grades and then converted them on my daughters transcripts.

I was just mucking about with my son's transcript a couple of days ago, and pondering this question (again). I've decided to list just the unweighted GPA, labelled as such, but to emphasize which classes are honors level. (Note: I'm calling things "honors" only when there's clear, outside verification of that. If it's an FLVS course, for example, and he completed the official honors track.)

So, the English section lists: English I, Honors English III, Creative Writing, Shakespeare, etc.

I elected not to weight any of my daughter's grades. She had a variety of AP (online and out of the home) and community college classes in addition to those classes she took at home; in each case I valued each A as 4.0 in calculating her grade point average. I stated on the transcript that her GPA was unweighted.

Regards,

Kareni