Menu

Minecraft: thumbs up or down?

daijobu

My dd11 is intrigued by Minecraft. We have yet to buy a subscription, but she's looked at the trial, read the wiki, and watched some of the introductory videos.

My question:

Is Minecraft a creative outlet that exercises her tech/programming skills and gives her some exposure to the prevailing culture of STEM enthusiasts?

:thumbup:

OR

Is Minecraft a colossal mind-numbing waste of time?

:thumbdown:

OR

Something in between?

:mellow:

Elaborations and anecdotes are encouraged!

Thumbs Down! Minecraft became such a source of tension in our household that we finally forbade it, even though we paid for it.

The kids became so focused on it that, even with time restrictions and limitations they waited all day until their time to play came, talked about it incessantly, and tried myriad ways to wiggle in more time. Finally we restricted it only to weekends. Then they would skype with a friend and they would play online together in their free time, and this felt very intrusive to me. We finally found that whenever minecraft was on the family was in a bad mood for some reason or another, so we ditched it. The kids have survived. They understood our reasoning, and actually seemed somewhat relieved to be rid of it, in spite of their always being focused on it. It was amazing how nice things became when we finally got rid of it.

And yes, it is a colossal waste of time. I could see no benefit in it whatsoever. People try to make lame justifications for it, but I couldn't see the value. at. all.

My lego fanatics boys played Minecraft (free iPad version) for a few hours and didn't bother to play with it again. It did not hold their attention at all. My friend's boy was addicted and she has to delete the paid app.

How about Python game programming for your daughter? She can create her own game than.

Thumbs up from my kid - I haven't actually figured out how it works, so I have to take his word for it that it's fun. He plays online with a bunch of older boys, and they've taught him some things and can answer all his questions. He plays a few nights per week, but it definitely hasn't taken over. If his friends aren't online, he gets bored very quickly.

I really don't see the appeal, but even my 22-year-old nephew says that some of his friends play regularly.

In between. It's mostly fun, but there's a lot of creativity in there and it does involve problem solving and some engineering type thinking.

I think any kids who struggle with putting away their screens could potentially struggle with putting away Minecraft, but that's a bigger issue than Minecraft. And in any families where screens and screen time are a big area of tension, then Minecraft could potentially exacerbate that... but so could any new screen game.

My boys have recently gotten very into it, particularly my younger, and it has become a source of tension with him. My older will put it away when screetime is over, but younger will beg for more time, talk about it a lot, and so on. So it is a bit of an issue for him. But I am pretty clear about the boundaries, and we limit his time on it quite a bit.

I say it's somewhat educational and creative. I do like when my boys build things together, talk, discuss and strategize. That's a plus.

I say thumbs up. My kids both boys and girls love it. Yes, it is additive, but at least they are learning things they normally would not know. My kids know the layers of the Earth at 5 years old, they have learned about mining, planting, harvesting, shearing sheep, and so much more. I would rather them play this than a violent game. Just set a time limit and stick with it.

my guys are serious 'gamers' and the older one tends to be a tad obsessive. But since when i started homeschooling, dh was still playing video games most of his free time, i have no screen time during school hours and until your work is done, but free reign other than that

my older one was super in to minecraft for a while and decided to pay for a hosted server. He had to work hard to keep the server running, deal with friends of friends who were destructive, and was able to keep in touch with some homeschoolers who had moved or lived too far away to see regularly. I felt he got a lot out of it - but dropped the server after a few months.

the boys still play occasionally, and sometimes their sister even plays with them. Some people make amazing creations and for some it is a way to keep playing with ppl who are far away . . . but if you dont like gaming, you probably wont like it. jmo

I have not had a chance to read this entire thread yet, but I would give Minecraft a big thumbs down. My dd loves all kinds of video games and became hugely addicted to it so I had to put an end to it. Another thing I discovered is that there are very strange and definitely not appropriate for kids videos on Youtube related to Minecraft. Believe me you don't want to watch them nor your kids either.

Anyway, once I discovered about the addictive nature of the game and the weird videos I had to put an end to it. Strangely enough my dd's cousin is allowed to play it and he is seriously addicted. One time he came over to our house so the kids could hang out and he never wanted to do anything but talk about Minecraft or play Minecraft, etc. It was really sad to see because the kid is really smart and nice.

Up. We went through the obsession phase here, put time limits on, got through the obsession, and now it's an occasional outlet for some building and designing creativity, which is great. It has also helped our boys socially. They each have their unique struggles in that area, and being able to talk about MC with other kids has been a good ice-breaker and bridge-builder for them.

Giving kids candy and letting them eat uncontrolablly will become additive and fattening to them as well. It is the parents responsibility to watch what they play and how long. As for YouTube, my kids don't watch that, so that isn't an issue here. One more thing, I wouldn't say that a child is addicted because they want to play it with friends and talk about it. If they enjoy something and take it beyond the computer, it's no different than playing Spider-Man or cars.

Creative, fun, play. An approved school-time choice? No. A better alternative to most TV and video games for some downtime? Yes.

And, I do approve some games for school-time choice (as in, all core schoolwork is done). My kids can play board games like Othello or chess, or computer games drilling on geography knowledge or typing speed - things of that nature.

Minecraft is not on on that list, but it's among the video games we encourage in our family for fun. We are a family of gamers, and we try to encourage games that have something positive mentally, physically (with the Kinnect), or socially (Rock Band with friends.)

I'll also say we have girls - which I suppose shouldn't make a difference, but the kids I've met that are a bit OCD about Minecraft are all boys.

In between. It's mostly fun, but there's a lot of creativity in there and it does involve problem solving and some engineering type thinking.

I think any kids who struggle with putting away their screens could potentially struggle with putting away Minecraft, but that's a bigger issue than Minecraft. And in any families where screens and screen time are a big area of tension, then Minecraft could potentially exacerbate that... but so could any new screen game.

:iagree: My son plays and it's actually helped him a lot with social skills since he plays on a server with my cousin (in her 50's) and her two granddaughters (11 and 13). It's also helped his reading, spelling and typing skills.

My son could definitely get addictive about things when they are new - Wii games, Minecraft, whatever. Usually it lasts a few weeks and then that newness wears off and he still likes it but the "all Minecraft all the time" dies down. I don't let him play any electronics until school is done for the day but he gets more time on weekends. His computer sits in our living room so we can easily see what he is watching/doing.

I always wonder about people jumping on addictive behavior with electronics but not with other things they see as more worthy. Like reading. Lots of people would be thrilled if their kids spent all their time reading, talked incessantly about the books they read, snuck a flashlight to read after they should be asleep, didn't want to do anything else. I grew up using books as an escape from real life and no one thought anything of it.

Both of my DC play, as do all their friends. DS 11, says go ahead and spring for the PC version, the tablet version is to restrictive (not enough to do)and the XBOX not as much fun. Yes we have all 3 versions. I think of it like legos for the computer. He plays an hour or two every couple days. He also watches youtube videos of other people building things (for ideas). Yesterday he asked me to give him a "build project" to see if he could finish it under 10 minutes.

So if your child likes to build and doesn't get sucked in by the screen I say go for it. If she's like my sons friend, who has a "split personality"; "sweet kid" and "video game monster", then I'd say no.

Like reading. Lots of people would be thrilled if their kids spent all their time reading,

lol i always got in trouble for reading as a kid .. . reading during recess (hiding in the library cuz the kids would kick sand on me) . . . reading during class . . . spending all weekend reading until my body ached from being in one position so long . . . having a sore bottom from reading on the toilet and losing track of time . . . . maybe that is similar to my boys' video game obsessions!

but i do give them time to pursue it as long as they do their work. and what do you know, my teen is the main programmer on his robotics team . . .

Minecraft is a video game. Nothing more. I would never encourage my kids to play, but if they really want to, I would limit it the same way I would any video game. Your children will not learn any programming or tech skills, unless they're playing on a server with experienced programmers.

Minecraft is a video game.

Yes, it is. But it is a video game in the way Legos are just another plastic toy.

Both are true statements but the difference is what you can do with it. Legos are much more creative than many other pieces of plastic, while Minecraft is much more creative than many other video games.

Yes, it is. But it is a video game in the way Legos are just another plastic toy.

Both are true statements but the difference is what you can do with it. Legos are much more creative than many other pieces of plastic, while Minecraft is much more creative than many other video games.

I don't disagree at all. But, even the best video games are very low on my list of how I'd like my children to spend their time.

I've got patents trying to convince me that Minecraft is some creative gateway, but from my vantage point their children are turning into drooling zombies who are getting tuned out to the world and fat and out of shape. No thanks.

I call it "Mind-crack."

Bill

Did you mean you have patients? Are you a doctor? I've wondered, by some of your comments.

My kid does Minecraft once in awhile, and he didn't turn into a drooling zombie. He plays hockey, and is strong as an ox and in fantastic shape.

It doesn't have to happen!

My sons (16 and 14) have actually built a money making business for themselves out of Minecraft. They draw and sell avatars based on Minecraft skins (starting with pencil and then finishing with Photoshop). My graphic designer son has gotten design jobs from Minecraft related websites too. We limit he time spent playing to Saturday afternoons (after chores) and early mornings before school (gets them out of bed!!). They've made enough money to afford a trip to Paris for two weeks to take in Minecon ( Minecraft "trade" show) at Disneyland Paris and of course, everything else Paris! I'd say Minecraft is a thumbs up for us. We are proud of them!

ETA: here is the link to their website http://www.youtube.com/finsgraphics

Edited by carlita
Added sons' website

Did you mean you have patients? Are you a doctor? I've wondered, by some of your comments.

My kid does Minecraft once in awhile, and he didn't turn into a drooling zombie. He plays hockey, and is strong as an ox and in fantastic shape.

It doesn't have to happen!

No. It was a typo, it meant to say parents.

In my son's circle of friends too many kids have become obsessive with Mindcraft (both the game and the YouTube videos) for me to get behind this phenomenon.

Bill

I do believe we should proceed with caution when it comes to video games, despite the post above where I give my thumbs up for Minecraft and describe how my sons benefit from Minecraft (though not entirely directly from playing it). Minecraft is the first and only video "game" we have allowed. Unless you are regularly "gaming" with it and others online, it has none of the frenetic pace of any of the other games I've seen. My children are altogether calm when they play it. I like it. But like everything else: food, candy, movies, playing lego instead of doing math, we control it. It does not control us.

In my son's circle of friends too many kids have become obsessive with Mindcraft (both the game and the YouTube videos) for me to get behind this phenomenon.

Bill

We also know a lot of Minecraft obsessed kids. And I agree that many of the parents seem to be over-rationalizing it. I mean, it's not a bad game. It has some good aspects. But, come on, parents. It's not super educational either.

My kids generally don't get obsessed with anything, so I didn't hesitate to let them get it for their birthday gifts and indeed they only play it occasionally during their screen time and aren't clamoring for more with it. This all things in moderation attitude is, by the way, great for things like screens and video games since my kids enjoy them, but can put them down. Less good for getting them to sustain interest in projects for a really long time. Oh well.

Giving kids candy and letting them eat uncontrolablly will become additive and fattening to them as well. It is the parents responsibility to watch what they play and how long. As for YouTube, my kids don't watch that, so that isn't an issue here. One more thing, I wouldn't say that a child is addicted because they want to play it with friends and talk about it. If they enjoy something and take it beyond the computer, it's no different than playing Spider-Man or cars.

We never let them play uncontrollably. We had severe limits on the game (as all games and media at our house.) Nothing has ever had the overwhelming grip on our kids that MC did. It was weird.

MC seems like a gateway drug to World of Warcraft and the like.

I cant see that at all . . . minecraft is a 'sandbox' game . . .there are monsters to kill, but the main purpose of minecraft is to dig up materials and build stuff. World of Warcraft has a monthly subscription (pricey for a kid), and the main point is to level up by killing things so you can play with other people in groups and kill more things. You CAN kill things in minecraft, but its not the main point, and you can make some things in WOW, but its not the main point. I dont see much connection . .

Thumbs down. Otter has a friend who plays it. This friend has become unavailable for real face time. He'd rather be playing Minecraft.

We try to encourage more time spent doing/accomplishing "real" things. I'm not against gaming, but Otter is happier and more content in general when he stays away from that type of thing.

For some reason this reminded me of seventh grade when a couple of boys in my class were obsessed with Mario. On the original Nintendo, or maybe it was the Super Nintendo. It's all they would talk about, they drew maps of all the worlds during class and spent breaks poring over them to make sure they were accurate. :)

My girls play the Pocket Edition on their tablets, taking turns whose worlds they're working in. There's occasionally tension between them, but they work it out, just like in "real" life -- though there was initially wanton destruction across worlds in the name of eye-for-an-eye justice. Last weekend they had a friend over and they played all manner of games in one of her worlds. One of them built a booby-trapped prison complex, and another accidentally flooded the complex trying to escape. Great fun.

It's a fine activity on a miserable, rainy day. :D Or in our case, week. Blech.

I find it annoying because I'm not a gamer, at all. But my son and husband actually play it together, and DS has just started coordinating with a friend to play occasionally. I was worried that might get out of hand, but friend called tonight, and DS just said no thanks, not today. It's a good creative outlet, but like anything, limits must be set.