Menu

In need of recommendations for feeling the large gaps in my education

I had a very poor education. I went to public school and was labeled LD in first grade, I was actually held back in Kindergarten. Since I had this label I was put in a special class and where not a lot was ever really expected of me or my class mates. When I entered high school I was mainstreamed and went to tutoring everyday. High School is where I really felt the horror of how far behind I was. Since I was behind I never made to any higher level classes. I need manage to do well in the classes I was placed in receiving A's and B's in many of them. I was accepted into college but never really felt like I could keep up so I dropped out after a semester.

As my dc get older I fear being able to teach them the higher level courses. What curriculum would you recommend/books would you recommend for myself to prepare for my dc's high school, as well as feeling the large gaps of my own education?

Edited by A home for their hearts

I would use WTM for myself...probably starting in the Logic stage and moving quickly through it....and then moving through Rhetoric stage at my own pace. I also had a crummy school education, but spent my adult life trying to educate myself in a CM/Classical way. I did not do so well with Latin or foreign languages, but have done well in all other subjects. I worked my way through Ambleside Online starting with Year 6 and I have worked several levels of WTM with my kids.

I am working on my research and writing skills this year. I am also working through Algebra with my dd ( my 5th time through should be the charm:D)

Good luck,

Faithe

Coursera, Udacity, Edx, etc. might help you fill in some gaps. iTunesU if you have an ipad to watch those on.

I'm currently doing a world history class on Coursera. You're not going to get mentoring on writing a good paper, but it's definitely filling in some holes in my knowledge of history.

For self-education I like the suggestions in "The Latin-Centered Curriculum" by Andrew Campbell the best.

:iagree: I found the second edition to be a great help on formulating a plan for my own self-education.

I use LCC as a framework, and afterward turned to WTM for some more details on the how to.

For math, I would start where you feel your knowledge leaves off. I started over at pre-algebra a few years back. I would also work on grammar and writing skills.

And if you don't have a good foundation in the classic literature, you could start either with LCC or WTM recommendations.

I also started "listening in" on some threads here at the high school board. I researched books recommended, non fiction too, and bought those that interested me.

The Great Courses lectures are also a good way to improve your knowledge. Many libraries carry them, or you can buy them at deep discounts (they rotate their sales on a regular basis).

I think it's great that you're willing to put the work into learning now what the school failed to give you the opportunity to learn years ago. I would focus on the core subjects. Many of our students do high school work which we personally couldn't possibly teach to them. Thankfully with tutors, online classes, coop classes, distance learning, community college classes, etc. there are many options available for homeschooling high school. You don't have to know how to teach it all.

IMO the math and English would be the most important. I don't know what you're using for math, but if it's working well for them, then I'd take a placement test or figure out where you're at, and then start working on math with their texts from that point. This will make it much easier for you to help them with their math work as you'll have already done the work for yourself. I'd just work through at whatever pace works for you and see how far you can get.

For English, I'd pick a good grammar program and a good writing program and work through those. Even many of us who had a good public school experience are lacking in grammar skills. As for reading, I'd just make it a habit to pick up a book and read. Our children learn from our example. I personally don't think it matters so much whether the book is a "classic" or not, but it doesn't hurt to read some of the books your children will likely read in high school. There are so many lists and suggestions here and you can also go to a public or private schools website to see what they're using. WTM suggestions are great if your reading is at that level, but many of us would need to work up to that level of advanced high school reading.

I don't know if it would fit into your schedule, but I'd also recommend going to your local community college and seeing what they have available there. Even if you take only one course, the learning centers and tutors are available to you free of charge. They are skilled with working with students who need to make up for gaps in their education.

As far as science and history, these build off of math and English and can be added in as you increase your skills. If there's a foreign language you'd like to learn, by all means do that. But if not, it's fine to find a different way for your children to learn whatever language they choose.

Would love to hear what you decide to do!

Coursera, Udacity, Edx, etc. might help you fill in some gaps. iTunesU if you have an ipad to watch those on.

I'm currently doing a world history class on Coursera. You're not going to get mentoring on writing a good paper, but it's definitely filling in some holes in my knowledge of history.

I have never heard of this. Could you give me some for information?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I loved the idea of using the math curriculums my dc are in and working ahead of them. We are still trying to find what works for my dc so we are using Miquon and Singapore right now. I've been learning a lot of math concepts that I really never learned in school since I was taught the basic algorithms but not the reasons behind them. I am also going to start working in their grammar and composition curriculums. What a great idea! We are using The Logic of English for spelling and I'm learning so much from it. I was taught to read by sight, no wonder I struggled!

Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming