Menu

iPod touch users

My ds 8 would be the type to play video games all day if he could. We own a Nintendo wii and an iPad. He has few games for the wii and I have a few apps on my iPad that are for him to play, mostly educational. Anyhow for 2 years now he has asked for a hand held device. A DS I think he calls it. I don't want to get him one because I feel it would be a waste of money, something better will come out soon and you have to buy all the games. Yesterday he came home saying he'd take an iPod touch, that he could play games on it and watch Netflix. First question is this true? I thought it was basically for music. Second, if you can play games can you see them? The screen appears small but I haven't seen one in person. Would you buy one for your 8 yr old? I almost want to use it as an award system for getting school things done! Thanks nadia

iPod Touch can play whatever games you can play on the iPad. It is the same operating system just smaller screen. You can watch Netflix. I don't use Netflix but my kids never complain about Youtube watching on the iPod Touch.

Mine is the iPod Touch 4th Gen. The iPod Touch 5th Gen has a slightly bigger screen.

ETA:

I meant almost all the educational apps have a iPad and iPod version.

Edited by Arcadia

Yes, a touch is great for games and Netflix.

That said . .. DO NOT DO IT!

My kids all got them last xmas, after many years of holding out against them. I can't believe I SUGGESTED my brother get them.

EVIL! Incredibly alluring to a game-addled boy. (I have one who'd play games all day if you let him . . . He's always just LOVED games . . .)

Also, be aware of the parental controls. They are not that easy to set up, and although you can block some things easily, you CAN NOT monitor what they do on it.

You'd have to set up wifi access to use Netflix, and you can't easily control what movies they watch, and the touch would then have internet access. (Safari is preloaded, but you can block it.)

If you do get it, be prepared to monitor it CLOSELY and spend time figuring out how to do so. (I had to spend a lot of time, and it was a real nuisance.)

My older two daughters got their iPod Touches when they were 2 and 5 years old. So they've had them for about 3 years now. We recently upgraded them to the current version too since they previously had the 2nd generation ones.

They are THE BEST gifts that we've ever given to them.

I load them up with educational apps to do during "school" time when waiting on the other child to finish their work....they take photos on vacation....they take silly videos of each other.....they watch Netflix or shows from iTunes...I put all of their kid music on it.....I've even loaded home movies onto them. Then, of course, they can play games as well. They facetime their aunts and grandparents. I can text them on the Voxer app when I'm away from them and they are at home with their dad or with my mom.

The kids love them and they are great bargaining tools as well. Also taking them away is an effective discipline strategy. iTunes gift cards are always great things to stuff into stockings or Easter baskets. Letting them download a .99 cent app is a great incentive for getting schoolwork done that week.

Seriously....best gift we've ever given them. Get a decent case and dropping them will do no damage. My middle daughter has had one since she was two years old....never damaged it.

We got our son one and wish we hadn't. I agree with several of the previous posters that have mentioned that it is difficult to monitor and control. We ended up trading it for something else he wanted...best decision we ever made. Even at 10 our son knew that he was becoming too obsessed with it.

It brought out behaviors that I didn't like...nagging (for a new game every couple of days...at .99 cents a game he never had to save up), sneakiness (we allowed ipod on weekends only but would find him sneaking it on weeknights and staying up late), and I found that when he got together with friends they didn't interact at all but just played on their own ipods :001_huh:

Each child is different so use your best judgement, but I am glad that we don't have the ipod around anymore.

All of my kids have an iPod Touch. My kids have always had at video games (X-box 360 and Wii) as well has gameboys. I prefer the ipod touch because I can get games for FREE. My son has several hundred free games on his iPod Touch. I love it!

My DS12 also watches Netflix on his iPod Touch. :D

I find (limited time) free games at http://appshopper.com/iphone/free/

My kids all have iPod touches, and yes they are great for games, movies, Netflix, and so on. You can turn off the Internet and passcode protect them from getting to the Internet. We have disabled Internet, Facebook, FaceTime, and YouTube on the kid's iPods.

My dd has a DS, and it is a money pit. We have spent a good bit of money on games, and technology is going away from such things, so I would not start that collection now. The new DS has Internet, a camera, and the ability to connect with others to play games, and I am not impressed with the lack of parental controls. Even an 8 yr old could figure out how to connect to wifi and download the browser to surf the web.

If he wants games, I'd go ahead and get him the nintendo ds i or nintendo 3ds. He'd use it as long as he'd use an itouch before wanting to upgrade. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with the internet access that an itouch provides.

My son loves his DS. The games are much more interesting to him than any iPad apps. He has updated his sysyems over the years, but the old games still work on the new systems. (We're probably MUCH more permissive than average because DS is in a wheelchair and has fewer entertainment options than most.)

If I were buying this year, I'd get the 3DS XL. The 3d games have been out long enough that there is a nice selection. You can buy used games AND you can play regular DS games on the 3D platform (they're just not in 3d). You have the option of turning off 3d if you prefer not to see any game that way.

Netflix does play on the DS, so you can use it for that too. My son also loads music to his DS and uses it like an iPod.

HTH

iPod Touch can whatever games you can play on the iPad.

That's not quite true. Some apps are made exclusively for the iPad. The inverse is true - all the apps for the iPod/iPhone can be used on the iPad. However, the majority of the apps can be used on both and the app selection on the iPod is huge.

My kids have the DS and the iPod Touch (it's an old iPhone that is no longer a phone in their case). A quick comparison...

The DS has more in depth gameplay and more fun, popular titles like Mario Kart. There are fewer educational games than for the iPod, but there are a few and there are some neat puzzle games like Prof. Layton. Games are expensive. It's a product that has been around for awhile and will be around for awhile, so there's no worries about a kid growing out of it - adults play with them sometimes too. It's reasonably durable for what it is. One drawback is that there are bits you can lose - the game cartridges are tiny and there's a tiny stylus. We've lost a million of those. There's a camera and some web connectivity, but those are limited.

The iPod has much more connectivity to the internet and you can surf the web or watch Netflix or Hulu if you have an account. The camera is better and there's more photo apps. There are generally more apps that you can do more with. The games are cheaper and tend to be more puzzle type games and educational games. There are a few more in depth games and some that overlap with the DS - some of the Lego games, for example. And there are an increasing number of older games on the iPod - my kids are really into Myst, for example, which they almost have solved.

Some apps are made exclusively for the iPad. The inverse is true - all the apps for the iPod/iPhone can be used on the iPad. .... And there are an increasing number of older games on the iPod - my kids are really into Myst, for example, which they almost have solved.

I meant almost all the educational apps have a iPad and iPod version (have to go edit my original post)

off-topic: How is Myst on the iPad compared to the PC version? I played Myst and Riven and am tempted to buy for my kids the iPad version.

I meant almost all the educational apps have a iPad and iPod version (have to go edit my original post)

off-topic: How is Myst on the iPad compared to the PC version? I played Myst and Riven and am tempted to buy for my kids the iPad version.

It's the exact same game. I think it's totally worth it. We haven't gotten Riven yet - it wasn't offered yet when I bought the kids Myst, but I suspect the kids will use the iTunes cards I'm planning on putting in their stockings for it. I'm hoping this trend of resurrecting old video games continues for the i devices. It's fun.

My children all have an iPod Touch. We do not have Netflix. Vthe kids have their music, educational and fun games on their personal device. You can set controls so the Internet is turned off. We really like them. Like anything, everything should be in moderation.

an iPod touch, once purchased, is cheaper to add to. Games are free to $10 (most $1 or $2) versus DS games for $30-$40 (though you can buy used games cheaper).

My son wore his DS in the ground he played it so much when he was younger, and it had no problem lasting several years (though we'd usually replace when newer ones would come out). If there would've been iPod touches then, I am certain he would've LOVED one!

I don't think you could go wrong either way, but I'd probably go with the iPod if I had to choose.