Menu

Pentime Cursive

MrsBanjoClown

My dd and I really do like Pentime. The first book that includes cursive is call Transition. It starts with print and then works into cursive about 1/3 of the way through. Book 3 called Cursive has a flap with diagonal lines on the back cover. This flap is to be placed under each page being worked so the lines can be seen through the sheet. It will help the child to learn to write on a slant. This book starts with strokes and letters then moves to words with each 2 page spread till the alphabet is complete. Then it moves to words on the first page and then copywork paragraphs on the 2nd page. These are mostly little morals, but there is also a poem and a Proverb.

We love Pentime! I like the price, that it's easy to use, and even the illustrations that dc can color if they want. I've tried Abeka, A Reason for Handwriting, and have settled on Pentime. Both of my girls are using it and have developed beautiful handwriting.

We love Pentime! I like the price, that it's easy to use, and even the illustrations that dc can color if they want. I've tried Abeka, A Reason for Handwriting, and have settled on Pentime. Both of my girls are using it and have developed beautiful handwriting.

Can you compare Pentime and ARFH for me? Why did you choose Pentime over ARFH? These are the two that I am trying to choose between. Thank you for your help!

I've been eyeing it for the past two years. Now I got LoE and my dd learned that cursive, which we both really like. Prior to that I ended up trying NAC with her. She said her arm always got tired and she ended up hating to do that workbook. The following year (this year) we got LoE and I just had her use a one page sample of the LoE cursive font to follow when making her answers in the LoE workbook....she didn't use a cursive workbook. Well, now she loves cursive. But, there's not really any practice with the cursive. I know there's the cursive LoE workbook, which I have, but it's just individual letters and single short words. I'm considering Pentime again, just for cursive practice. She could then just decide if she wants to make a certain letter (like say W) the way Pentime does or the way LoE does. I don't know...I don't know if it would be confusing or not. Sorry to ramble....this didn't help you at all....other than to say that I really like the samples of the Pentime workbooks, and I like that there's so many in the series.

:iagree: We switched over to Pentime when ds (10) was starting 1st grade. Dh had complained about the children's handwriting so I put each child in their grade level. The older boys have good penmanship now. My younger 2 are improving steadily. There are 2 books for 1st grade, 2nd grade introduces cursive, and 3rd - 8th grade improves the cursive. The children, 4th grade and up, complete 2 pages of Pentime a week. I like having the continual practice through grade school. :001_smile:

I chose Pentime after using ARFH. I really didn't like the Bible verse use in ARFH. I have a huge pet peeve with shortening a verse to the point where it has lost its original meaning. I don't know if all levels do this, but the K level did. ARFH lost me right there. On top of that, Pentime is half the cost. It has copywork from poetry, Bible and 4th grade has a focus on the states. You really get a lot for your money.

I chose Pentime after using ARFH. I really didn't like the Bible verse use in ARFH. I have a huge pet peeve with shortening a verse to the point where it has lost its original meaning. I don't know if all levels do this, but the K level did. ARFH lost me right there. On top of that, Pentime is half the cost. It has copywork from poetry, Bible and 4th grade has a focus on the states. You really get a lot for your money.

This covers my main reasons as well, plus the ones I mentioned above.

I too, agree with this. I didn't like ARFH much at all. And that horse pill of a price for a glorified coloring book ....that is how I felt. I don't mean to offend anyone who like ARFH, really I don't. I just had a hard time swallowing that.

Pentime is an excellent value and excellent quality. YOu can't say those two things about many products. It is usually and either/or.

We started using Pentime 2 (Transition) this year for 3rd grade. We started at the cursive section. My son is basically doing it on his own, and I check his work and erase anything wonky (sometimes he'll start the letters well, then each copy on the line gets smaller and smaller and smaller... :lol:). My son has always been pencil phobic, but he likes Pentime and is enjoying learning cursive. I have him do a 1/2 page a day right now (which is learning one letter), though I'll probably up that to 1 page a day soon.

The price is definitely a plus!

I've not used ARFH, so can't compare that.

how do you like it compared to ZB? We are using ZB and I really don't like it at all.....

do all the cursive books have the slant guide page?

Book 7 has the slant guide page. I don't remember if book 8 has it as well, but I'm pretty certain it does.

Just for fun: book 8, after the first third, switches from manuscript practice to an introduction to caligraphy. :D