Menu

Dinner frozen in a glass Pyrex lasagna pan

I had a Pyrex pan shatter in the oven (NOT coming from the freezer, just from the counter) and when I called Pyrex they sent me a replacement. My lucky day.

So, you could call first and ask, or you could call after and keep your fingers crossed. :001_smile: It is a good question though! It says freezer/oven/microwave/dishwasher safe, right? It just isn't clear if you can do them all in a row.

Pyrex was intended to go from cold to hot. It seems, from recent threads here, it has become less reliable in the past decade, though.

Yes.

The old Pyrex glass (and the Pyrex still made in Europe) was Schott glas, a borosilicate. Very heat resistant, could be used stove top. Since 1998, I think, they have been using a soda-lime glass which they claim is more break resistant when you drop it, but the heat resistance is not as good any more - thats' why you can't use it stove top anymore.

Yes.

The old Pyrex glass (and the Pyrex still made in Europe) was Schott glas, a borosilicate. Very heat resistant, could be used stove top. Since 1998, I think, they have been using a soda-lime glass which they claim is more break resistant when you drop it, but the heat resistance is not as good any more - thats' why you can't use it stove top anymore.

Yes, this, although some of our 2000-2005 pyrex is the good stuff although it could have been old stock. Even with the old kind I don't put it in a hot oven directly from the freezer or even the fridge. If it's fridge temp I put it in a cold oven and let it warm up while the oven is preheating, I find it doesn't make the overall cooking time much less. If it is frozen I put it in a cold oven, turn the oven on for just a minute, let it sit with the door closed for 10ish minutes, turn the oven on again for a minute, turn it off for another 10, then turn the oven on to heat up. This way the glass is being warmed very gradually.