Menu

I don't get how the TOG writing program works

Karie

I'm not talking about Writing Aids, just the writing plan in TOG itself. There are several levels. Do you start on level 1 and work your way up? What's with the nouns, verbs, pronouns, etc in the left column? Are there supposed to be actual writing subjects? Maybe I'm not looking at this correctly. I hear how wonderful their writing is, but I'm not understanding it. I sent for the CD and DVD from TOG to explain these concepts to me. Maybe the writing will be covered in it.

This editing thing is nice. Okay, I looked through the Loom and there is a little more stuff in there, but how do you decide exactly what to write on? There are "general guidelines" but nothing specific that I can see. Am I missing something?

You figure out what level each of your kids are on. For instance, I have a 12th grader that writes well, he would be a level 12 always and I bought writings aids just so that I can have him do the classical comparison assignment. I also have a first grader that is beyond the nouns and verbs level. So I will pick assignments from level 1, 2 or 3 for her depending on what I want her to work on. Does that help?

So, does the writing aids enhance the writing lessons in the TOG guide with specific assignments? I looked at week 2 for example, and under level 4 it says to write the definition of a pronoun and use graphic organizers. Now, if I didn't know the definition of a pronoun (which I do, by the way), is there a place in the teachers notes that would help me with this? What about Graphic organizers? I don't have a clue how to use these. Are there instructions for these? Are they in the Loom? This is so confusing to me!!!

I don't have my writing aids with me today but, I do know that it does tell you exactly and in great detail how to make a graphic organizer and a cluster diagram and all sorts of things. It is sort of a big book of writing tools organized alphabetically. I remember that it tells you how to make sentence charts and write essays and take essay tests. I don't remember if it defines the parts of speech :confused: Hopefully somebody else will chime in with more help. and hopefully the board will quit going down when I am trying to post :mad:

Clear as mud now?

I'm not talking about Writing Aids, just the writing plan in TOG itself. There are several levels. Do you start on level 1 and work your way up? What's with the nouns, verbs, pronouns, etc in the left column? Are there supposed to be actual writing subjects? Maybe I'm not looking at this correctly.

Hi...I hope I am understanding you correctly... but if you look in the writing assignment section under level 4 like you stated... the left side of the column gives nouns and verbs and steps in the writing process for week 1 level 4 ( I?m using year 2 redesign as my example) on the right side it gives you an brief explanation.... it suggests you set up a grammar notebook and how to tab it.... tells you how to instruct the kids in what to do... suggest for you to review the steps in the writing process ( WA ) and recod them in your ( the students ) notebook.

It is wise to have WA, but I?m sure any handbook you have will suffice.

If I didn?t answer your question, or if you have another... please let me know... I hope this helped...

Lisa

DOH! I forgot... no you do not need to stay on one level... if you feel that your child could benefit from an activity in level 3... do it! If you find it to easy and want to step it up... move them up.... the writing portion of TOG is forgiving in this.... Its not solely based on grade level.... like my 15 year old is out of the level they suggest a news paper lay out... but I know she would enjoy it and it wont stunt her high school career to be in level 7 that week... but I will do it for exposure....

I hope that helped too!

Lisa~