Menu

Question about The Hobbit

Opinions please! We have a book club with about 5 kids. We decided to do one book a month and chose The Hobbit for the month of November and December since it is a longer book, with plans to watch the movie in December. The kids vary between 4th and 8th grade. When I looked up on the Scholastic site as far as level, it shows interest level 8th grade, reading level of 9th. Would this be too difficult for this group of kids?

With such a wide age range of kids, I would choose a different book. IMO, The Hobbit is too long and the vocabulary too advanced for the average 4th grader...or most above average 4th graders. I read it aloud to my boys two summers ago, and they had some difficulty with the vocabulary. They were in 2nd and 4th grade at the time.

My second grader read The Hobbit last year. It took her almost the entire year :) but she did it. She didn't "get" it all but did understand the gist of it enough to really enjoy the book. I think it would be just fine for the age levels you are looking at. It's one of my kids' favourite books and they are so excited about the upcoming movie.

Dh recently read The Hobbit out loud here.

Both boys liked it. Eldest once or twice couldn't wait for Daddy to keep reading and read a chapter ahead.

Niether boy had trouble with it. A few times Dh would stop and explain what had happened if he felt it was a bit difficult to understand.

After we tired listening to the BBC drama version of it. Youngest didn't get into it at all. He said he had trouble figuring out who was talking and what was happening.

They both liked the cartoon version. Both said they were very happy to have listened to the book before watching the cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_HbDM6kOJY

The kids who would have trouble reading it can always get a parent to read it, or listen to the audio version. If that would work for your book club.

I read it to my 2nd grader this past summer, and he enjoyed it tremendously. We had to discuss some vocabulary and plot points, but he definitely followed the story and came to know the characters. I think it is a very appropriate read aloud for 4th graders.

Here is a brief parent guide to the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/parentalguide#certification

I meant to add that I am very strict about viewing material for my kids, but am seriously considering taking my 2nd grader to the movie. My main concern is it is going to reveal spoilers about The Lord of Rings, which he won't read for awhile. They are adding so much extra material to the movie!

Edited by OrdinaryTime

With such a wide age range of kids, I would choose a different book. IMO, The Hobbit is too long and the vocabulary too advanced for the average 4th grader...or most above average 4th graders. I read it aloud to my boys two summers ago, and they had some difficulty with the vocabulary. They were in 2nd and 4th grade at the time.

:iagree: That really is a wide age range. Besides the issues of reading capability, I think it'd also be hard to discuss it at the appropriate level for everyone.

Frankly I can't even think of a book that would be good for such a wide age range, unless it was broken up into two groups for discussion.

I think that age group is fine, if there were words that they had questions about y'all could discuss that.

There are not limiting themes in The Hobbit that would be inappropriate for certain ages and this book would really stretch one's vocabulary, preparing them for heavier literature.

Edited by Sis

I meant to add that I am very strict about viewing material for my kids, but am seriously considering taking my 2nd grader to the movie. My main concern is it is going to reveal spoilers about The Lord of Rings, which he won't read for awhile. They are adding so much extra material to the movie!

There should not be spoilers for LotR in The Hobbit...from what I understand the things that are being added are surrounding The Necromancer.

I'd do it, but I don't really believe in reading levels.:tongue_smilie::lol:

Me, too. I read it (for fun, mostly because the copy in our school library had a beautiful green cover that I was drawn to) in second grade. Dd read it (for fun, and also because she was tired of not "getting" some of the Tolkien-based jokes her father and I make) when she was 8. If you encounter a word you're not familiar with, well, that's what a dictionary is for! ;)

I'd do it, but I don't really believe in reading levels.:tongue_smilie::lol:

Me, too. I read it (for fun, mostly because the copy in our school library had a beautiful green cover that I was drawn to) in second grade. Dd read it (for fun, and also because she was tired of not "getting" some of the Tolkien-based jokes her father and I make) when she was 8. If you encounter a word you're not familiar with, well, that's what a dictionary is for! ;)

:iagree:

I also do not believe in reading levels, IMO that sort of thing could hold back more precocious readers if one was to offer things only within a set "reading level."

The Hobbit is a great book that I would feel comfortable with any age reading, there are books where I might be hesitant due to more mature themes but The Hobbit is a perfect book for stretching.

Reading the book aloud to my 4th grader worked pretty well because we were able to discuss the vocabulary which he did not understand and pace ourselves.

:iagree: I just finished reading it to my 2nd & 5th graders. We discussed a lot of vocabulary, and they both enjoyed it.

5th grader had started to read it independently a while back, but got bored with the immense description at the beginning and gave up. He was pleasantly surprised!

Well, there may not be major plot spoils, but they are going to be introducing all kinds of characters (Galadriel, Legolas, Saurman, Frodo, etc.) out of the context of the books. As someone who has read all the books and knows all the characters well, I am looking forward to it. But looking at it through the eyes of a kid who has only read The Hobbit and is unfamiliar with all those characters, it could be confusing and will certainly color his first impressions of a number of big characters in LoTR. And I would be shocked if they don't give away a little about the nature of the ring. Right now, my son just thinks it's a cool little magic ring....

Well, there may not be major plot spoils, but they are going to be introducing all kinds of characters (Galadriel, Legolas, Saurman, Frodo, etc.) out of the context of the books. As someone who has read all the books and knows all the characters well, I am looking forward to it. But looking at it through the eyes of a kid who has only read The Hobbit and is unfamiliar with all those characters, it could be confusing and will certainly color his first impressions of a number of big characters in LoTR. And I would be shocked if they don't give away a little about the nature of the ring. Right now, my son just thinks it's a cool little magic ring....

The Hobbit was released first. Most people read The Hobbit first because it is intended to be read first.

Lord of the Rings contains spoilers for The Hobbit, not the other way around.

My older kids have read it (11 and 12) - and dd had it assigned for 7th grade this year. Reading it in smaller chunks was important for all of them - they love marathon reading of easier books. This one had to be digested a little more than, say, a Percy Jackson book. KWIM?

Also, will parents be helping? Maybe recommend an audiobook to go along with it? I insisted my kids read it before we see the movie - otherwise what's the motivation to read it (from a kid's perspective)?

Personally, I think for that age range, The Hobbit is a great choice. There are few books that can appeal to a large age range like that, but The Hobbit is definitely one of them.

I read it the first time when I was around 9 or 10, and have read it many times since. I get something new from it every time. I read it aloud to my oldest dd when she was around 9, and she has read it probably 3 times since then. I'm going to be reading it aloud to my twins in a few weeks so they can go see the movie.

From what I understand, the movie will probably have some intense moments that might be frightening for sensitive children, but the story itself isn't overly frightening. They are adding quite a bit, I assume from the appendixes of LotR, things that were happening timeline-wise at the same time as The Hobbit, so no spoilers for LotR.

From what I understand, the movie will probably have some intense moments that might be frightening for sensitive children, but the story itself isn't overly frightening. They are adding quite a bit, I assume from the appendixes of LotR, things that were happening timeline-wise at the same time as The Hobbit, so no spoilers for LotR.

The Hobbit very much takes place before Lord of the Rings. The main character in The Hobbit is Bilbo, who you see as much older in Lord of the Rings.

Bilbo is a young 50 year old hobbit in The Hobbit, in Lord of the Rings we see his eleventy-first (111th) birthday party. By the time Frodo leaves the shire, with the ring 17 year have passed. The events in Lord of the Rings take place 77 years after The Hobbit.

Edited by Sis

The Hobbit was released first. Most people read The Hobbit first because it is intended to be read first.

I understand The Hobbit comes first. It is just the new movie is not limiting itself to the characters/material in The Hobbit itself. It is featuring many characters you meet for the first time in LoTR, like Galadriel, Legolas, Saurman, and Frodo. I really like my kids to read a book and "meet" the characters in the author's words before they see them on screen so they can create their own personal vision of them, not just adopt some moviemaker's ideas. If I take my son to see this movie, he'll meet these characters on screen before he reads about them in th books, coloring his very first impressions of them. That is the kind of "spoilers" I'm talking about.

I'll probably breakdown and take him anyway.:tongue_smilie:

IMHO this is true for the books.

But to my knowledge the OP was talking about the movies. And the movie itself may contain some spoilers about Lord of the Rings.

My DH read The Hobbit to our older two when they were 4 and 7. The 7yo then read Fellowship of the Ring to herself (after having seen the movies, so at least she knew the basic plot and characters), so The Hobbit was fine for her. The 4yo liked The Hobbit a lot, but DH did stop to explain vocabulary and such to him. I think it would be fine to read The Hobbit as a book club book for 4th-8th graders, especially if listening to it was an option for some of the kids.

I understand The Hobbit comes first. It is just the new movie is not limiting itself to the characters/material in The Hobbit itself. It is featuring many characters you meet for the first time in LoTR, like Galadriel, Legolas, Saurman, and Frodo. I really like my kids to read a book and "meet" the characters in the author's words before they see them on screen so they can create their own personal vision of them, not just adopt some moviemaker's ideas. If I take my son to see this movie, he'll meet these characters on screen before he reads about them in th books, coloring his very first impressions of them. That is the kind of "spoilers" I'm talking about.

I'll probably breakdown and take him anyway.:tongue_smilie:

I see what you are saying now...

I think they have added all of those characters to The Hobbit, it sounds like they are adding the White Council, which Gandalf attended during The Hobbit but was never really discussed within the book.

I see what you are saying now...

I think they have added all of those characters to The Hobbit, it sounds like they are adding the White Council, which Gandalf attended during The Hobbit but was never really discussed within the book.

I agree! Looks like the White Council to me, too. Personally, as a life-long Tolkien fan, I am excited to see it and am happy they are adding in some of the extra material! I'm just trying to exercise caution for my kids so they get to experience it all in the best way.

My oldest read it in 2nd grade and LOVED it. I just finished reading it out loud to both boys (1st and 4th grades) so that the younger one would be able to go to the movie. We have a fairly strict book before movie policy. :) My just turned 6 year old really liked it. I’m sure he didn’t get all of the vocabulary and nuances but he got the main story and really enjoyed it. The Hobbit is a book I feel like he’ll read again and again so it’s ok to not get it all on the first go around. I just started reading The Fellowship of the Ring to the older one at bedtime at his request and the younger one listens in to that also.

Does anyone know what the movie will be rated? I assume PG-13, but I can't seem to find anything about a rating...

Also, what about the book as a read aloud to a 4th grader, would that be okay?

We have read the book aloud to our child around 6 times since she was 4 years old. It is one of her favorites (now 6.5 years old). I think a typical 4th grader should have zero problems enjoying this book asa read aloud.

Does anyone know what the movie will be rated? I assume PG-13, but I can't seem to find anything about a rating...

Also, what about the book as a read aloud to a 4th grader, would that be okay?

The book would be fine. Tolkien was particularly skilled at knowing when to step back and say no more...or leave things unsaid. One doesn't need to explain every horror of war when writing for a wide audience.

The movie will probably be violent, there is a major battle in the book, but I am hoping a bit less than Lord of the Rings...seeing how The Hobbit was written for a younger audience.

Last year, I read aloud The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to my kids, ages 6 & 7 when we started, 7 & 8 when we finished. When they saw the trailers for the Hobbit this fall, they both wanted to read it again. My son finished it in about 2 weeks, and my daughter has 2 chapters left to go. I'd say go for it! My kids LOVED it!