What's with the ads?

Photo

Cooking a 40+ pound Thanksgiving turkey...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Sharpie

Sharpie

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

I need wisdom/advice. A friend of my dh is raising Thanksgiving turkeys. He asked my dh if we would purchase one. Not a problem until I found out said turkey will be a 40+ pounder.

I've never cooked such a big bird and I don't have any pan big enough to cook such a turkey in. Typically I purchase the turkey bags to put the turkey in and the bags in my local grocery store aren't that big.

I need specific links to pans that would work (prefer something that won't break the bank as I may never use it again). Advice, etc on cooking such a large bird are welcome.

Thanks!

#2 Susan C.

Susan C.

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4176 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

That is a big birdy!!

Would it fit in a doubled large foil pan? (Doubled because of the weight). You can piece heavy duty foil together for the lid. If not, then overlap cookie sheets for the bottom, and make a "pan" with heavy duty foil to catch juices, and a pieced foil top. Also, I just thought of using a broiler pan for the bottom.

#3 DawnM

DawnM

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

http://wiki.answers....40_pound_turkey

Sounds lovely!

#4 MomsintheGarden

MomsintheGarden

Compost Feeder/Kitchen Slave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1497 posts

Wow, that's big! I've only cooked a 26 lb. turkey, but if I had a bird that big, I'd brine it in my well-scrubbed laundry sink, then cut in half lengthwise and roast it in shifts in a large broiling pan.

I hope you get some good advice. Good luck!

#5 AK_Mom4

AK_Mom4

Empress Bee of Bacon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4630 posts

Are you sure he didn't mean 40+ pounds BEFORE BUTCHERING? 'Cause a 40 pounder would give you about a 28lb dressed out turkey.

But... if it's really 40 pounds, you can cut it up and cook the legs in a separate pan and cook the breasts flat in the roasting pan. That's the only way it would fit in my oven anyway.

#6 KatieinMich

KatieinMich

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Um yeah, I am thinking that might be before butchering weight. DH used to work for a turkey processing facility and we could buy some pretty big birds. I am thinking 30 pounds was as big as we ever saw.

If you have to go with an aluminum pan, be sure to put a cookie sheet under it. Or like PP said, you may have to roast it in pieces.

#7 Sharpie

Sharpie

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Are you sure he didn't mean 40+ pounds BEFORE BUTCHERING? 'Cause a 40 pounder would give you about a 28lb dressed out turkey.

I'm not 100% sure, as I want to talk to said friend but my dh indicated the friend said they were HUGE already and they had almost a month to go yet. I'm going to ask for the smallest one of the bunch.

Thanks everyone for the advice thus far. I'm feeling a bit less overwhelmed at the thought. We'll only eat a fraction of the bird & freeze the rest I guess.

#8 Rident_Mama

Rident_Mama

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Raised our own. 56 pound bird (dressed out). Cookie sheet under a giant aluminum roasting pan (I think DH got it at a restaurant supply store?). Make sure to cover the tops of the drumsticks with foil to keep it from burning against the elements!

#9 Homeschool Mom in AZ

Homeschool Mom in AZ

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

We soak ours in a brine for 2 days and then smoke it on the grill @ 350 degrees with radiant heat for 15 min. per pound. At 30 min. we foil the wings. Every 30 minutes thereafter we brush garlic olive oil on it. It frees up the oven.

#10 Forget-me-not

Forget-me-not

Empress Myosotis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3984 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

I too wonder if that's pre-dressed. I suppose you could butterfly it and roast just half of it. Though you might have to butterfly it with a chainsaw :lol:

#11 Annie G

Annie G

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Raised our own. 56 pound bird (dressed out). Cookie sheet under a giant aluminum roasting pan (I think DH got it at a restaurant supply store?). Make sure to cover the tops of the drumsticks with foil to keep it from burning against the elements!

How long does it take to roast a turkey that size?

#12 KungFuPanda

KungFuPanda

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7116 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'd roast half, and grind the other half to freeze in 1 lb portions.

#13 justLisa

justLisa

Fairy Dust Sprinkler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5241 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Holy moly

:drool5: I love turkey

#14 Angela in GA

Angela in GA

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

We raised turkeys this year. I think our biggest dressed out was 32.5lbs. I thought that was HUGE! The turkey we're cooking is 26.5 pounds. Still plenty big. I can't wait to try it. I have no idea what we're going to cook it in. I haven't thought about it yet. I'm pretty sure it won't fit in my biggest pan. :p We do a big get together with friends, since not a lot of people here in AK have family close. So, I'm really hoping one of my friends has a big enough roasting pan.

#15 itsheresomewhere

itsheresomewhere

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2453 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

If your on the disboards forum, there is a lady on there who raised her own turkeys. I think the last on was 42 lbs after butchering. She had the hours it took to cook it. I loved the picture of it in the oven.

#16 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Radioactive and Frumpy ☢

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53797 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

But... if it's really 40 pounds, you can cut it up and cook the legs in a separate pan and cook the breasts flat in the roasting pan. That's the only way it would fit in my oven anyway.

Yeah this is what I'd do. Holy cow. Not sure I'd even want something that big. :001_huh:

What's with the ads?