Menu

Thoughts on Wordly Wise 3000 online version

momsuz123

:bigear:

I was just looking at the free WW online last night. I decided that I'm going to get the book, and then have my dd use the free games (I don't think she'd want to sit and do the word lists online...I think it's a bit too slow). Not to hijack this thread, but I wonder what the advantage of paying $40 for a year is over just using the free site?

The free site is nothing like the paid version. We love the new online Wordly Wise!

That said... it *is* new, and it hasn't been working for at least two weeks. I have been in contact with HSBC (where I purchased my subscription) every week and there hasn't been any progress made. I got both the regular Wordly Wise vocabulary and the Science/Social Studies Context Vocabulary, and neither works.

I'd wait until this is resolved.

The free site is nothing like the paid version. We love the new online Wordly Wise!

That said... it *is* new, and it hasn't been working for at least two weeks. I have been in contact with HSBC (where I purchased my subscription) every week and there hasn't been any progress made. I got both the regular Wordly Wise vocabulary and the Science/Social Studies Context Vocabulary, and neither works.

I'd wait until this is resolved.

:iagree: Except ours is working. The online version is so much better than the book. It gets done without complaint!

Holly

Ours is working. Both my 2nd & 4th graders are using it. They like the paid online version more. 4th grader did the workbook with the free stuff online last year. They do breeze through the lessons. Feedback is immediate versus waiting for me to correct.

I have a lot going on with teaching a K-er to read and other subjects that are one on one such as FLL, WWE, SOTW, etc. With the paid online, it's one less thing to correct.

Can you skip activities or parts of activities if desired? Or must you progress through every aspect of the lessons?

I just came across this on the co-op site:

>>How can I adjust the number of lessons my student completes each day?

There is no way to decrease the amount of work,words, questions in a lesson. The lesson has to be completed in its entirety. The student can stop mid-lesson if needed. Please see the FAQ "If my student stops mid-lesson, can he pick up where he left off?".

If my student stops mid-lesson, can he pick up where he left off?

Yes. It is not expected for the student to complete a level in one sitting. The student can stop mid-lesson and pick up where he or she left off, as long as the student properly quits the session and logs out. If the student simply closes the browser/tab, all of the student's progress will not be saved. He will have to start at the very beginning of the lesson.

Must a student complete a lesson in its entirety before I can review his or her results?

No, data will start showing up in the reports section as soon as work is completed. The lesson does not have to be completed for data to be displayed.

We used to use the books but they'd get forgotten a lot. I was aware of the additional "free online" stuff, but never really used them. The paid online version makes learning (and correcting) effortless. :)

I wonder if mine isn't working because I signed myself up as well as a second student (to do the high school level stuff), and we also have the new CVB vocabulary (social studies/science), which was just offered a month ago. We saw both programs when we signed in for about a week, then only one, now neither work. :sad:

We have been so antsy to start in again, we'd do this at the same time!

1. You are first given a Pre-test, which I can see the answers my daughter got correct, although she cannot see the right answers.

2. Then the Word List is given, you look over every word and get a mini-question to make sure you understand.

3. Once that is done, you get access to four other parts that test on retention.

4. Next up is the Passage and Questions.

5. Finally is the Post-Test, and after that, words that the student got wrong would be presented one last time.

You can stop in the middle of anything, but you can't progress to the next section (numbered above) until the prior section is finished. At least that's what we've experienced. I can see progress as soon as she finishes anything (pretest, one of the four word tests, etc...).

Every 3-4 lessons, there is a comprehension activity that tests on the prior lessons.

So we just started with the online version today and it is so *slow*, is that how it is for everyone else? The screen appeared to freeze up on several occasions also.

If it doesn't improve then I think I'll have to ask for a refund as it took my son over an hour to do the first test because of the length of time it took the program to move onto the next step.

It wasn't slow for us the first month we had it, but now we still cannot log in, so I'm thinking they are still having some technical issues. It's been 3 weeks now that I can't log in, so I sent another ticket to HSBC and will be asking for a refund for our three subscriptions most likely.

I'll get it again, just wait when all their bugs are smoothed out.

Mine works now! Somehow my link was changed. But yay!!!

For a second student (or each additional), instead of paying $39.95, it is only $29.95. Same if you have the same student also have the Content-Area Vocabulary Builder, you save $10 for the additional student. Scratch that, it is $27 for the Content Vocabulary.

Now, to see if the service is slow...

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the input ladies .... anyone else?

He was doing almost all CLE for awhile, but recently asked to switch to TT , is a couple weeks in on that and loves it .. seems to really like the idea of doing WW on the comp too ... Think he finally got tired of workbooks!

THANKS !!!

• 1 year later...

Dislike. I initially thought this would be great for us and had both kids working in it. I really, really wanted it to work for us. I no longer inflict this program on either child.

We used this program for many weeks and found it increasingly frustrating. The level of words is good for grade and the adaptive features are nice, but the activities are ridiculous. They don't help students learn the meanings of words at all and more resemble standardized tests designed to trick than a program supposed to help teach vocabulary. I used to teach standardized test prep and not a single strategy I knew worked for this set up. The passages and vocab questions were totally unrelated. I'm not sure how you were supposed to get the answers right unless you had already memorized the meanings of all the words, which clearly kids won't if they are just learning them! I ended up feeding kids the answers so they could move on past activities that just were of no use to us.

Needless to say, we are going another direction for vocabulary. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had to responde because I totally LOVE this program!

The feedback is instant and progress is tracked.

There is even a speech to text feature, so students can hear the new words read in context if that is helpful.

It is solid and develops reading comprehension and vocabulary skills.

I have been using it with three children for a few years now.

After each lesson a student can print a certificate that list all the words in that lesson.

My kids find that very motivational.

My kids do this everyday.

Soetimes they even finish more than one level in a year.

Love this! :hurray:

• Like 3

• 5 years later...

I know it's an old thread but I just signed up for the online version and have a question to the moms who have used it. Am I really supposed to assign each lesson and test at a time? They call it an "experience." It does grade practice questions immediately but my kid can't seem to check her own result of the lesson test until I manually "end" the "experience" on my teacher account or the set time (that I have to schedule when assigning) expires. I was hoping it would be a self-paced program that automatically unlocks the next lesson & test but seems not. Am I missing something?

Other than that, it seems fine and I prefer this online version to the WW books. With the integrated Quizlet, I feel it offers enough practice on new vocabs before moving on to answering questions. In each lesson, however, there are several activities, such as drawing and discussion/composition, that are more geared for classroom. We simply skip them if we feel them unnecessary. It is not on the fun side, like someone said above, but hopefully will get the job done for us.