Menu

Miquon vs Math made meaningful

campmom

Miquon is a curriculum, Mathematics Made Meaningful is a guide. Miquon has workbooks with lab sheets and goes further, I think, than Mathematics Made Meaningful. The activities in the Miquon Annotations are similar (and sometimes identical) to the activities in Mathematics Made Meaningful, but the organization is much more friendly for use, in my opinion.

Miquon is a curriculum, Mathematics Made Meaningful is a guide. Miquon has workbooks with lab sheets and goes further, I think, than Mathematics Made Meaningful. The activities in the Miquon Annotations are similar (and sometimes identical) to the activities in Mathematics Made Meaningful, but the organization is much more friendly for use, in my opinion.

See, in the truest sense of the word, Miquon is not "curriculum." California Department of Education would say that it is "instructional materials." The *curriculum* would be the content, what is being taught; Miquon would be the materials used to meet the goals of the curriculum.

I used Mathematics Made Meaningful first; by the time I started my students with Miquon, they were thoroughly familiar with the rods. I wouldn't say that Miquon is "friendlier." I mean, how unfriendly is it to read a task card that says, "Put the rods on a table and sort them according to size. Mess them up and sort them according to color. Look! It's the same piles!" (this is an Ellie paraphrase, of course. :lol: ) But all of the task cards are just like that: read 'em and do 'em.

Well, I would say Miquon is both. There's a clear scope and sequence in the Annotations, which is what a curriculum is, as well as the materials - as in, the lab sheets. I only used Mathematics Made Meaningful for a little while, but it didn't seem to go as far or do as much, in any case.