Menu

Great Science Adventures from Dinah Zike?

Michelle T

I have contemplated using one of these books many times. But they seem like a LOT of preparation work. So, how bad is the prep? My DS has poor fine motor skills, so I know I would need to pre-assemble the little books and do the cutting and pasting. Then I would just use the books and folds as teaching tools.

Does this sound reasonable? Or would there be no point to the curriculum if I did this? Exactly how much prep do these books take? And are there activities other than the folds and cut/paste?

Any other comments, opinions, reviews of Great Science Adventure? I'm specifically thinking of the Space and the Landforms books.

Michelle T

You end up making 24 booklets (one for each lesson), plus a little paper "bookcase" to hold them all. As far as time: you'd need to photocopy all of the paper booklet masters, and if you sat down and cut and folded all of them up in one sitting, I'd guess it would take you 6-8 hours (since you're cutting, gluing and folding). Since your child wouldn't really be doing the artsy-craftsy part, that's what I would recommend doing -- make up all the booklets yourself in advance, and then pull them out as needed.

As far as what the book teaches, while listed for grades 1-8, I'd say realistically each book is probably best for grades 3-5. Maybe for a 2nd grader good with scissors who loves crafts and who is bright in science, or for a 6th grader for some of the extended science labs. One suggestion would be to use these books as supplements for the experiment and resource ideas and skip the booklets if you're not into that aspect.

What each Great Science Adventure looks like:

Each lesson is more of an outline on how to teach a specific topic. Each lesson is 2 pages long, containing:

- bullet point list of key concepts to cover

- list of any related vocabulary words

- directions for a longer "science fair" type experiment

- directions for putting together the booklet and sentences to dictate/write in the booklet (simplier or more complex levels here, depending on your student's ability)

- activity idea and how to turn the activity into another booklet, or research/paper ideas for older students

- suggested other activities, books, or resources

See sample pages at http://www.christianbook.com by searching for the particular book you're interested in.

I bought several of these; only used a few pages out of the Tools and Technology one to make some of the booklets and graphics for a science co-op, and ended up selling them, as they just didn't fit our sons way of learning/enjoying science -- they like lots of "real books" and hands-on experiments and kits (and I like kits that have just about everything already in them so I don't have to pull it together), and they never liked cut/paste/coloring activities. GSA just didn't match up for us in any of those areas. BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family, Michelle! Warmest regards, Lori D.

What each Great Science Adventure looks like:

Each lesson is more of an outline on how to teach a specific topic. Each lesson is 2 pages long, containing:

- bullet point list of key concepts to cover

- list of any related vocabulary words

- directions for a longer "science fair" type experiment

- directions for putting together the booklet and sentences to dictate/write in the booklet (simplier or more complex levels here, depending on your student's ability)

- activity idea and how to turn the activity into another booklet, or research/paper ideas for older students

- suggested other activities, books, or resources

You use and recommend. And all of your great book lists! I could just buy your book, and save a lot of time not needing to post here anymore!

Lori, thanks for the great information! Doesn't sound like my DS would like this at all.

Sigh. Back to the drawing board!

Michelle T

I think all the book subjects have been taken already. :)

Now, what *I'd* like is if I would just *read* all those great books of product reviews and *believe* them, instead of having to BUY everything and see for myself that it didn't work! (lol) It is a sad thing to be able to give a comment on about 75% of the curriculum asked about here -- because it at some time or other passed through our house -- and not because we actually USED it! :eek:

Hang in there Michelle! You'll find what you like and what works for science eventually! Warmest regards, Lori