Menu

What would you recommend to teach study skills?

Sparrows-Song

I'm looking for something that will teach my dc (6th and 4th grade) good study skills- taking notes, looking up information, etc.) I did look at Rainbow Resource and Christianbook, at "Information, Please," but wasn't sure which level we would start at if we were to use that.

What would you recommend that works well that is not incredibly teacher-intensive?

Thanks in advance!

My husband did "Where's There's a Will There's an A" as a college student years ago (1990ish) and swears by it. I looked their website and they have a high school DVD (and there is a book available on amazon) that you might be able to use. My DH has told me it will be required for the kids to go through and practice before high school. I think Sylvan also has a program and it might be researching what they use and tailor it to your kids. This is a HOT item for us since it's so important for the kids as they get older. I look forward to reading other replies!

I don't have any resources for the ages of your kids; however, I've seen the following items recommended for late junior high or early high school students:

What Smart Students Know: Maximum Grades. Optimum Learning. Minimum Time. by Adam Robinson

High School Level—How to Become a SuperStar Student from the Teaching Company

My 6th grader is doing some light outlining as described in TWTM, but I don't expect him to take notes yet. We use R&S Spelling which reinforces and reviews dictionary skills.

I just purchased How to Become a Superstar Student, and I plan to watch it this spring. At that point I'll decide if my oldest should view it before 7th grade or 8th grade (or maybe both).

High School Level—How to Become a SuperStar Student from the Teaching Company

I purchased this DVD 2 years ago for my dd (then 12). Each year during the summer we have watched it together one lesson per day. Everytime she sees it she learns and uses a bit more of it. We will be watching it again this summer. I highly recommend it.

I second your recommendation for Where There's a Will, There's an A". When I taught in the 80s, I made my college students watch the tapes when I realized how badly they needed it. My kids and I watched the elementary school version when they were in 6th grade, and this summer, we are going to use the high school version.

I bought it used at amazon.com on videotape.

My husband did "Where's There's a Will There's an A" as a college student years ago (1990ish) and swears by it. I looked their website and they have a high school DVD (and there is a book available on amazon) that you might be able to use. My DH has told me it will be required for the kids to go through and practice before high school. I think Sylvan also has a program and it might be researching what they use and tailor it to your kids. This is a HOT item for us since it's so important for the kids as they get older. I look forward to reading other replies!

My ds12 (almost 13) just finished a guide from Galore Park called Study Skills. I think it was a little too young for him, although he did learn a few things, but I think it would be very good for upper grammar stage students. You can download a sample at the link above. The text starts off with explaining how a person learns, how the brain works, how nutrition and rest also play their parts. It instructs the students to take ownership of their schedule and work, how to set goals and accomplish them. It goes over key word outlining, mind maps, and making Q & A index cards (this was good for my ds). Also there are some memory tricks and instructions on how to properly take exams. The price is about $19 (US), but I think I got free shipping.

Karen

Karen,

I was glad to see your review of this here. I remembered your purchase of it some time ago and wondered what you thought. Did you get the free shipping from Galore Park or did you purchase the book elsewhere (bookdepository, maybe?)? Sounds like it would be good for my ds.

Also, off topic, my son is reading Lord of the Rings right now (and loving it!). He was wondering where you got your elvish name. He likes your blog name, too! ;)

Karen,

I was glad to see your review of this here. I remembered your purchase of it some time ago and wondered what you thought. Did you get the free shipping from Galore Park or did you purchase the book elsewhere (bookdepository, maybe?)? Sounds like it would be good for my ds.

Also, off topic, my son is reading Lord of the Rings right now (and loving it!). He was wondering where you got your elvish name. He likes your blog name, too! ;)

I got it from Book Depository, but it looks like they are out of them.

Here's a link to the elvish name generator. There's one for Hobbits too.

yes, I am a LOTR geek nonantialiased-nerd.gif