Menu

Almost afraid to ask ... A Hit Parade of Books & MultiMedia Resources

I’m coming to the hive with a request for their students’ all-time favourites for subject-related reads/DVDs which aren’t curricular spines, aren’t necessarily on the required reading list for history, or aren’t used for formal literature studies. I’m in pretty good shape regarding all my “core†resources. I’m banging my head against the wall, however, when I’m trying to choose that one excellent book or that one must-see DVD, which supplements a topic beautifully without being arduous for the high-school student (or family), yet is delightfully written/presented and has substance.

Our homeschool budget is tight and our small, regional library system is woefully short of quality trade books/documentaries/movies. To boot, the inter-library loan system is unreliable and SLOW. As such, I’m stuck to mostly purchasing, new or used, these “too good to miss†supplements. I’ve got a slew of resources tagged in my on-line wish lists and shopping carts , but my choices – too many – will give my piggy bank the heebie-jeebies as we march through high school. I'm library building on a budget :D.

The recommendations I’m after would serve as free-reading material, family read alouds, or a stimulating (yet “lightâ€) break or diversion from, say, a core lit list, science textbook, or elective course. I’m throwing the door wide open here regarding genre, subject matter, and medium . I hope I’m not asking a lot:tongue_smilie:. One or two (maybe three?) of your highschooler’s all-time favourite reads/views would be much appreciated!

Thanks, everyone!

Showing great restraint :tongue_smilie:, I will limit myself to our two DSs most enjoyed 3 curriculum things, and a bonus extracurricular (that could be used towards credit); all could *easily* be used as "for fun" reading or viewing!

1. Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings -- sometimes available used on sale/swap boards

2. "Worldviews in Classic Sci-Fi" Literature course we created for ourselves

3. Dave Ramsey Foundations in Personal Finance (as part of the 0.5 credit of Economics) -- sometimes available used on sale/swap boards

BONUS:

Youth and Government -- a semester-long YMCA leadership program that teaches the legislative process and culminates in students participating as legislators at the state capital. I note that you are in B.C. -- it looks like you have a very similar program: British Columbia Youth Program:

BCYP info/history

BCYP website

Edited by Lori D.

We're only in our first year of high school, but here are some of our favorites:

Simply Einstein - We did this as a read-aloud last year. My ds is interested in physics, it made relativity seem understandable, and created some great conversations.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain - has really helped ds' drawing ability. I can draw pretty well, but it's always been hard to break it down and teach.

Sherlock Holmes books. We started with A Study in Scarlet.

DVDs

Robin Hood - Errol Flynn version

Inception - great for discussing perception, We're in the midst of a study on it right now. I discussed my plans here and got some great ideas.