Menu

How much does a pack/carton of cigarettes cost?

Not sure if the chart I saw is still accurate, but it listed Missouri at 17 cents tax (the lowest cig tax in the states)per pack, and Rhode Island as the highest tax per pack at $3.50 per pack. That of course doesn't include the federal tax.

But when local taxes are added, New York City rates the highest at $5.85 per pack. So in NYC the tax is higher than the product, right??

I wonder if the percentage of smokers is lower in states where the tax rate is high...

Edited by Annie G

Guest inoubliable

About $3.50/pack here in tobacco-land. I remember them being about $2/pack when I was a teenager. I went out to Utah for college and, this is what I was told anyway, the state was gearing up for the 2002 Winter Olympics out there so they had recently raised taxes on some things, cigarettes included. Packs out there were $5+/pack. When I went home for winter break, I came back to Utah with an extra suitcase filled with cartons of cigarettes. Just about everyone I knew there had given me a $20 and asked me to bring them back cigarettes.

i remember when they were $1 a pack in high school.

in NJ they are like $7-$8 per pack.

they were talking about this on the radio the other day and 1 pack-a-day for 30 days = $240. people were comparing it to a car payment.

Robin

The car payment comment is sort of along the lines of the original conversation my husband and I were having and that is what led to my original question.

Here they cheap ones are over $5 a pack. Back when my Dad was alive we drove by a gas station advertising a carton for $40. I clucked and hissed about how happy I was for having quit before it was over $20 a carton. My Dad chuckled and said "I remember when they were fifteen cents a pack."

Needless to say, he died from smoking.

I was just talking to the check out boy about this. I told him that when I was in high school everyone said, "If they go up to $1.00 a pack, I'm quitting, Man."

:lol::lol::lol:

I remember in HS they were around $2 a pack but I could go to this place and get a carton for pretty cheap. That was for Marb's. GROSS to think of how I used to smoke.

Here and now? about $8 a pack

I started smoking very young (1969), at .45 a pack...and I quit before getting pregnant when I was 27, at $1.50 a pack. Since then, I can't stand anything "owning" me. I can be pretty obstinate when I feel something has a control over me.

Sometimes, being oppositional has it's benefits. ;)

I was just talking to the check out boy about this. I told him that when I was in high school everyone said, "If they go up to $1.00 a pack, I'm quitting, Man."

:lol:

We were getting gas recently and I noticed a sign for Marlboro's and it was around $8 a pack. I was shocked!! I've never smoked, but I did buy them for my mom as a youngster (yeh, those were the good ole days :lol:) and I thought I remembered them being $1 or $2. How do people afford such a habit? :confused: I know, I know, priorities and all that. But there is no way I would be able to support a pack a day habit. Just THINK of all the books that money could buy! :D