Menu

Please post your favorite chocolate chip BAR cookie recipe.

Please post your favorite chocolate chip BAR cookie recipe. I love chocolate chip cookies (I'll be honest and state that I love chocolate!) but find it tedious to bake sheet after sheet of cookies. Therefore, I'm on a quest for a chocolate chip bar cookie. Your help is appreciated.

Regards,

Kareni

Betty Crocker's recipe for the chocolate chip cookies. I mix it up, add my special ingredient of a strong dash of vanilla, try not to eat so much cookie dough that I have enough to spread in a 13x9 pan, bake it for only 20 minutes, and voila! I only bake for 20 min because everyone likes them gooey.

I never make cookies anymore and my cookie bars are one of the most sought after desserts.

I have been making this recipe for, cough, 45 years now. Still my favorite.

1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup nuts

1/2 cups chocolate chips (You can use butterscotch, peanut butter, etc for variation.)

Note: there is no soda or baking powder in this recipe.

Melt butter in microwave safe glass bowl, or in kettle on the stove. Cool slightly..or the eggs will cook when you mix them in.

Stir in remaining ingredients, except chips and nuts.

Spead in 9x13 pan. Sprinkle chips and nuts on top.

Bake 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes. Careful not to overbake.

I have been making this recipe for, cough, 45 years now. Still my favorite.

1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup nuts

1/2 cups chocolate chips (You can use butterscotch, peanut butter, etc for variation.)

Note: there is no soda or baking powder in this recipe.

Melt butter in microwave safe glass bowl, or in kettle on the stove. Cool slightly..or the eggs will cook when you mix them in.

Stir in remaining ingredients, except chips and nuts.

Spead in 9x13 pan. Sprinkle chips and nuts on top.

Bake 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes. Careful not to overbake.

Amazing, you must have started baking when you were just a toddler! :lol:

This recipe looks good, I think I will try it. I'm sort of intrigued by the no baking powder/baking soda. I've always just used my regular chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Amazing, you must have started baking when you were just a toddler! :lol:

This recipe looks good, I think I will try it. I'm sort of intrigued by the no baking powder/baking soda. I've always just used my regular chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Thanks. :001_smile: Not exactly a toddler, but very likely preteen when I started making these. The recipe is from a friend of the family and I vividly remember when she brought them. I am pretty sure I was making them within a week. I still love them.

We just made these yesterday:

2 1/2 c flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

2 sticks butter, softened

2 eggs

1 tbs white vinegar

1 cup chocolate chips

Combine butter and sugar first, add everything but the chips, mix until smooth, add the chips, put in a greased 9 X 13 pan, bake for 23 minutes 350F.

or, a vegan recipe (you can eat the dough on this one, be careful, it's addictive!)

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup old fashioned oatmeal (dry)

1 cup very packed brown sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 tbs white vinegar

1 cup apple juice

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Combine everything but the chips, add chips, and cook for 20 minutes at 350F. We usually use a 10 inch circular pan for this one, I'm not sure what that would be in a square or rectangular pan.

Edited by butterflymommy

Betty Crocker's recipe for the chocolate chip cookies. I mix it up, add my special ingredient of a strong dash of vanilla, try not to eat so much cookie dough that I have enough to spread in a 13x9 pan

Oh dear-- don't eat raw eggs! We often make the vegan version I wrote above just to be able to eat the dough. We usually eat at least 1/4 of it raw!

As usual, it is a King Arthur recipe. Optional ingredients are really optional and you can adjust the amount of chips to your taste. I find they are far better the second day, too. The first time I made them, I actually thought something went wrong but then let them sit overnight. And be sure to spoon your flour into your measuring cup if not measuring by weight. :)

I use the modification of the recipe on the back of the Nestle's Tollhouse Morsels package. I also double the called for amount of chocolate. And how I do that is buy a 10 lb bar of semi-sweet chocolate at the beginning of fall at Trader Joe's, and chip it off with an ice pick, and weight out twice the called for amount--that way the size of the chocolate pieces is uneven which makes the cookies far more interesting.

These are my favorite. I bake them up in either an 8" square pan...or make them thinner in one of those foil buffet pans (we buy a giant pack at Sam's Club.) They're technically a blondie, I guess. :)

1 stick of butter (1/2) cup melted

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract

3/4 cups flour

1/4 cup oatmeal (optional, can also add another 1/4 cup flour)

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips

1/2 to 1 cup toasted nuts (walnuts or almonds--optional)

1/2 cup coconut (optional)

Melt the butter in the microwave...and start preheating the oven to 325. While the oven is preheating throw the nuts you'll be using in the pan you'll be using and let them toast. (You can also toast nuts in the microwave but this is easier.)

Mix melted butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl. Add in flour and oatmeal (if using). When well mixed, add in toasted nuts, chocolate chips and coconut. Put into a square 8" or 9" pan sprayed with Pam. To easily spread, wet your hands and kind of press down on it until it is evenly spread out in the pan. Bake at 325 for 30-40 minutes. Cut into bars while warm.

Crush up some Vanilla wafer cookies, 45 or so? Spread along the bottom of the pan.

Melt 1/2 c? of butter, sprinkle on vanilla wafer cookies.

Spread one bag of chocolate chips and 1 bag of butterscotch chips along the top.

Pour one can of evaporated milk over the top.

Add chopped walnuts if you wish.

Bake until somewhat melty.

Sorry I don't know where the recipe is. But this is SO good.

Here is the link to the Kahlua Chocolate Chunk cookie recipe I mentioned in my previous post.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/kahlua-chocolate-chunk-cookies-recipe/index.html

I have also made the following recipe by Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) as a bar.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chocolate-white-chocolate-chunk-cookies-recipe4/index.html

For both, I spread as a bar in 13x9 glass pan and baked at 350 for 25 mins.

I shipped to my son in college and all his friends loved them.

I got this recipe from my 5th grade teacher . . that would have been 1975 . . . I refound almost the exact same recipe in a betty crocker cookie book - its chocolate pb bars:

1/2 c white sugar

1/2 c brown sugar

1/4 c shortening

1/2 c peanut butter

1 egg

2 TB water

1 1/4 c flour

3/4 tsp bs

1/2 tsp bp

1/4 tsp salt

1 bag chocolate chips, divided

Heat oven to 375. M ix sugars, shortening, pb and egg. Stir in water, flour, baking soda/powder, salt, and half the chocolate chips (note, i think we left the water out, but its been years . .gluten/dairy free now).

spread in greased baking pan, 13x9x2. Bake about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, spread remaining chips on top of the bars, and return to oven for a few minutes until chips melt, then spread with a spatula and let cool

I should really try these gf/cf!