Menu

Can we talk about things that don't make sense in Children's TV/books?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why hasn't Sir Toppam Hat been fired for incompetence?

Oh totally! "You have caused confusion and delay!" Um, you Sir must run the most dangerous railway system in the world. I always had this class and race struggle narrative in my head listening to the great steamie/diesel debates. Made it marginally more tolerable.

Speaking of Dora, how can Backpack fit so much junk in it?

Or how about Diego's "rescue pack"?? How can a backpack that small possibly turn into so many things??

It's a magical bag of holding? (ala D&D)

A bit older now, but I always wondered why Jeff from The Wiggles never had his narcolepsy diagnosed.

I'm also bothered simply by the name of Doc McStuffins. :001_huh:

In Blue's Clues, how on earth did Steve get accepted to college? He hardly knew preschool material.

No kidding. Can you imagine being his roommate?

"Here's the mail! It never fails! Makes me want to wag my tail!"

"Dude. It's an e-mail from the bursar's office. Chill."

the one with the Jack Russel Terrier recreating famous literature.

Wishbone!! That show was awesome but even as a kid I couldn't quite believe that the other characters didn't know he was a dog.

How about how in Book of Pooh all of the signs are spelled weirdly or with backwards letters? :glare:

Why didn't June Cleaver ever see through Eddie Haskel's charm?

I'm in the middle of watching the whole series on Netflix - loving it too btw - and she sure does. They all do actually, even Wally. Once in a while they even have a story line based around Eddies "antics" where one or the other parent with the boys or the boys with each other have a conversation where they try to understand where Eddie is coming from and end up either being sadly sympathetic that he's so messed up, or at least kind of realizing "he's, well, Eddie".

I'm in the middle of watching the whole series on Netflix - loving it too btw - and she sure does. They all do actually, even Wally. Once in a while they even have a story line based around Eddies "antics" where one or the other parent with the boys or the boys with each other have a conversation where they try to understand where Eddie is coming from and end up either being sadly sympathetic that he's so messed up, or at least kind of realizing "he's, well, Eddie".

We're watching it all right now too! I think that Eddie has an abusive dad. He talks a lot about how his dad would cuff him or otherwise would do something that Wally and Beaver's dad would never do.

We're watching it all right now too! I think that Eddie has an abusive dad. He talks a lot about how his dad would cuff him or otherwise would do something that Wally and Beaver's dad would never do.

Yeah, I agree, and I always feel sorry for Larry - obviously his Dad is abusive when he is there which is not very often, and his Mom is an older, nervous and very ineffective parent. I wish Ms. Lander's would have a heart to heart with that awful Judy or better yet, send her to Mrs. Rayburn's once in a while for being such a prig.

Dd asked me on the way home from chick-fil-a today why they would write entire comic books about super hero cows and refer to them as boys since cows are girls?

I love that!

I just can't get over the fact that Dora's head is so much wider than the rest of her body. It really bugs me.

:lol:

Dora gets back at Map:

Hysterical. :lol:

The entire Cleaver family gets that Eddie is all BS. It's why he is a character on the show. He's 100% transparent.

They put up with him because they are kind. (Plus it shows how nice the Cleaver boys are, even if Beaver does get into trouble at times. It could be worse, after all.) :)

Edited by LibraryLover

What is Wyatt's family doing in Storybook Village?

Wyatt's older brother is Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk.

What about movies like Home Alone where the bad guys get serverely knocked about?? You would be very sore/probably dead if most of the traps happened to you in real life.

Any credibility I ever had on this board is about to go down the toilet.

But...there is a former professional wrestler named Mick Foley. He wrote his memoirs about his life, wrestling, and popularity in the wrestling world called Have A Nice Day. He had a chapter where he wrote about how professional wrestling always gets called out for being so violent.

He had a Dr compare the types of injuries one would get from watching an episode of Monday Night Raw vs. the original Home Alone. According to this Dr. those thieves would have been dead or severely disabled as a result of the traps. Pro wrestling, BTW, mainly headaches and concussions.

I only saw Boo-Bah the first time it aired on my PBS. It was like one of those things that is so horrible you just can't look away. I kept waiting for them to talk. Why don't they talk? How do they propel themselves in the air like that? Are they passing gas? Do they live in outer space? Are they aliens? WHAT were the creators of this show on? Why does BBC always have the weirdest children's shows?

I.LOVE.THIS.THREAD. I just spent a huge chunk of my day reading it. It's not like I have anything else to do. :D

I've always wondered what exactly happens to Phineas and Ferb's inventions when they disappear. Also, what the heck is Ferb short for???????

How do the rooms in Mickey Mouse Club House flip over, yet everything stays in place? What the heck it toodles?

Does anyone watch Mouk? We love that show, but it is so....weird. How on earth do they travel around the world on their bicycles? How old are they? Who are the people they skype with? Why is Chavapa so dim??? Mouk has the BEST theme song though.

Jungle Junction! Why do the animals have wheels? Why do they get inside each other and drive around? It's icky. There was a show we watched when Indy was younger than had kids who were nesting dolls (neither of us can recall the name of the show) and they used to nest inside each other and it icked us both out.

There was a show we watched when Indy was younger than had kids who were nesting dolls (neither of us can recall the name of the show) and they used to nest inside each other and it icked us both out.

Higglytown Heroes?? The premise of the show made about as much sense as the nesting dolls part. WHY did they need nesting doll characters to send a message that everyone's a "hero" whose work has value?

Back to Blues Clues. There's Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper. Does that mean there was or still is a Mr. Pepper somewhere? Does he know about his wife running around with Mr. Salt? As for the children - do they have hyphenated last names? Cinnamon Pepper-Salt? Cinnamon Salt-Pepper?

And to go further back: Bear in the Big Blue House. Ojo was at that house all the time, but didn't live there (since it was a big deal that she got to spend the night). Why did Tutter live alone, despite being a child? He went off to school and did occasional things with Grandma Flutter, but he was largely self-sufficient. Were Pip and Pop supposed to be adults or children? Will Treelo EVER learn to speak clearly???

I've always wondered what exactly happens to Phineas and Ferb's inventions when they disappear. Also, what the heck is Ferb short for???????

What the heck is toodles?

Perhaps he's of Swedish extraction?

I think "toodles" is a baby-talk version of "toodle-oo," a corruption of "à toute à l'heure," i.e. "see you later" (someone will tell me please if I've mangled the French).

Back to Blues Clues. There's Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper. Does that mean there was or still is a Mr. Pepper somewhere? Does he know about his wife running around with Mr. Salt?

You didn't know about Mr. Pepper? I thought everyone knew--he's a medical professional. You might know him better as Dr. Pepper. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Don't they just? Every time one of my MIL's sons does something weird, she'll just shake her head and say, "I blame Magic Roundabout."

The series was brought from France, but the British adapter (Eric Thompson, father of Emma Thompson) just wrote brand new scripts to go with the programmes, rather than translating the originals. They do have rather a hallucinatory air.

Laura

It's a magical bag of holding? (ala D&D)

:lol:

How about how in Book of Pooh all of the signs are spelled weirdly or with backwards letters? :glare:

That is because all of the characters are perpetually 4. They make the signs themselves.

I think "toodles" is a baby-talk version of "toodle-oo," a corruption of "à toute à l'heure," i.e. "see you later" (someone will tell me please if I've mangled the French).

I think she meant, "the character of Toodles, what is he/she/it supposed to be?" I thought it was a robot of some kind? It has been a while though.

I thought of this thread while having the honor of watching Cartoon Network with my new nephew (he's 6) yesterday.

Has anyone seen The New Adventures of Gumball that can explain to me what they are supposed to be? I'm pretty sure dad's a rabbit, and mom kind of looks like a cat, but the kids I'm not so sure about. And what is up with Carrie the ghost, who was apparently born a ghost. How do you be born a ghost?

• 4 weeks later...

I figured no one would mind me ressurecting this thread. If you do, sorry!

Today my daughter watched Dinosaur Train. I think it has already been mentioned on this thread, but seriously, there are so many things that don't make sense about that show. First, whenever I hear the title, I imagine myself in the pitch meeting. "Well, sir, kids really like dinosaurs.... and, er, they really like trains. So, I say, let's make a show called Dinosaur Train! It can't lose!"

But the dinosaurs never eat each other. Is there some kind of magic or treaty that protects the kids from the dinosaurs they visit? And what exactly is the purpose of the train? Is it just to take kid dinosaurs on educational trips through time and space? And if it can go through time, why don't they go to the future where dinosaurs aren't extinct? And if they are so technologically advanced as to have train and time travel technology, why would they let a giant comet hit the earth?

My now 15yo son with mr and autism loved (loves) Charlie and Lola. The books and tv show. He collects all of the books. We wrote Lauren Child on his behalf several years ago a fan letter and asked why she doesn't include their parents in her books. She wrote us a very nice letter back about how she wanted to focus her stories on the children as they grew up and so she didn't include their parents. She wrote some other nice things - he has that note saved in his scrapbook!

Re: why spectators came to watch the 2nd & 3rd tasks of the Triwizard Tourney:

Magical ways of knowing what was going on and announcing?

I don't think so because Dumbledore talked Mermish to the Merpeople to find out what happened under water and why Harry took so long; he in turn explained to the other judges and that caused them to score they way they did.

Okay if anyone asked about Cinderella I missed it but my son asked me why the prince didn't just look at the girls. They all look different but many have the same shoe size.
Maybe it was a masquerade? And Cinderella had teeny-tiny feet; very few if any girls in the kingdom had the same sized foot, right?

I figured no one would mind me ressurecting this thread. If you do, sorry!

Today my daughter watched Dinosaur Train. I think it has already been mentioned on this thread, but seriously, there are so many things that don't make sense about that show. First, whenever I hear the title, I imagine myself in the pitch meeting. "Well, sir, kids really like dinosaurs.... and, er, they really like trains. So, I say, let's make a show called Dinosaur Train! It can't lose!"

But the dinosaurs never eat each other. Is there some kind of magic or treaty that protects the kids from the dinosaurs they visit? And what exactly is the purpose of the train? Is it just to take kid dinosaurs on educational trips through time and space? And if it can go through time, why don't they go to the future where dinosaurs aren't extinct? And if they are so technologically advanced as to have train and time travel technology, why would they let a giant comet hit the earth?

What does the train run on, if not coal--which is from the dinosaur age?