Menu

Can we talk about things that don't make sense in Children's TV/books?

What does the Man in the Yellow Hat do for a living that he can afford a fancy apartment, a country estate, and a troublesome monkey? Is he ever going to hook up with the museum curator lady or what?

I know I have lots of these types of questions, I just need to think on it some more.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why isn't the Island of Sodor covered in smog?

Why hasn't Sir Toppam Hat been fired for incompetence?

Can the drivers control the trains or not?

Why haven't those reckless trains been scrapped already?

Do the taxpayers know that steam engines are being sent all over the Island to pick up single objects or give one person a tour?

Why won't Farmer McCool hire some farmhands instead of expecting trains to do all his work?

Thomas once tried to send Neville to his death based on a rumor, why was this just brushed off?

Why isn't the Island of Sodor covered in smog?

Why hasn't Sir Toppam Hat been fired for incompetence?

Can the drivers control the trains or not?

Why haven't those reckless trains been scrapped already?

Do the taxpayers know that steam engines are being sent all over the Island to pick up single objects or give one person a tour?

Why won't Farmer McCool hire some farmhands instead of expecting trains to do all his work?

Thomas once tried to send Neville to his death based on a rumor, why was this just brushed off?

I have always wondered why the railways on sodor have continued under the same leadership. They have a truely dreadful safety record.

Why are the kids on Arthur friends with Muffy or Binky? Both of them are generally terrible.

How can that Tyranasaurus on Dinosaur Train possibly be getting along so well being raised by those pteranadons?

How come in the Dora world, climbing a mountain actually gets you close enough to touch the stars? What in the world are stars made of in that world? The physics of this confounds me.

Are the machines and tools on Bob the Builder slave labor or does he pay them? How does that work, anyway?

Is the teacher on Sid the Science Kid a mind-reader or what? How does she always know to construct a lesson about exactly what they've been thinking about?

What is Mr. Rogers doing at the house where he hosts the show? I mean, he always enters at the beginning and leaves to go home at the end. Does he just come to feed the fish and hang around for a bit? He does have his mail delivered there, so he must not be just squatting, right? So then why the separate house? Is it just so he can get residency in that awesome neighborhood?

What is Mr. Rogers doing at the house where he hosts the show? I mean, he always enters at the beginning and leaves to go home at the end. Does he just come to feed the fish and hang around for a bit? He does have his mail delivered there, so he must not be just squatting, right? So then why the separate house? Is it just so he can get residency in that awesome neighborhood?

:lol:

How can that Tyranasaurus on Dinosaur Train possibly be getting along so well being raised by those pteranadons?

How come in the Dora world, climbing a mountain actually gets you close enough to touch the stars? What in the world are stars made of in that world? The physics of this confounds me.

Is the teacher on Sid the Science Kid a mind-reader or what? How does she always know to construct a lesson about exactly what they've been thinking about?

These are the questions I was going to post!! Especially the Sid one. My DD is also always asking why Sid is orange. I do not have a good answer for that.

These are the questions I was going to post!! Especially the Sid one. My DD is also always asking why Sid is orange. I do not have a good answer for that.

Also, how does alphabet soup make Martha Speak? That makes no sense.

Kermit spends an awful lot of time mentoring his nephew, Scooter, but do we ever see Scooter's parents? Does Kermit have an estranged brother or sister?

What about Naomi?

And why are the Zoom kids so mean? Or at least the one who grows up and goes on several perfectly lovely dates with a very nice girl. But then he never calls her again and, upon seeing her on campus, acts like they've never met. What's up, Zoomers? Or maybe nobody else here has that particular question...:glare:

Best. Thread. Ever.

Forget about the man with the yellow hat's career." I want to know why he wasn't arrested for stealing a monkey from the jungle, and I want to know why nobody makes him pay for damages that his monkey causes. And why has he not learned that YOU CAN NOT LEAVE SAID MONKEY UNATTENDED because he ALWAYS gets in trouble??

As for Max and Ruby's parents, they don't need them -- they have Grandma! (At least they have Grandma in one of the books; I've never seen the show.) Oh, but Mom is hanging out the laundry (shown in one of the books).

I used to wonder about a whole lot of things from the Pooh books that didn't make sense. And then I had a four-year-old, and suddenly, a lot more made sense to me. Pooh rather thinks like a four-year-old.

Do they still make Barney episodes? It's easily been over a decade since I've seen any children's programming. Barney is the one character I dislike more than Jar Jar Binks.

Why does every mixed-race couple on PBS consist of an ethnic-of-some-kind parent and a white person with red hair?

What is Wyatt's family doing in Storybook Village?

Why didn't Mrs. Pteranadon even try to figure out how a T. rex egg wound up in her nest? Where does Buddy's "carrion" come from? Who built the Dinosaur Train and its stations? Why are the Conductor and his mother the only ones who wear clothes?

Why does Little Bear walk around naked when his parents wear clothes?

Seriously the Mom in Phineas and Ferb is the most clueless person ever!

Also why isn't Candace in intense therapy for her delusions since her Mom never ever believes her! Seriously if I didn't believe my daughter after she said things like Candace she would be in therapy so fast.

Why are only the animals secret agents?

How much alimony is Doofenshmirtz getting to keep up his schemes with no real job? Seriously his ex must be raking in the money.

Speaking of money how do Phineas and Ferb afford all the materials they buy for their inventions? (DH and I decided that Ferb is a trust fund baby on his Mom's side)

Oh speaking of parents where is Ferb's Mom and Phineas' and Candace's Dad? You would think they would have at least some visitation during the summer.

Why is Pal the dog Arthur's pet yet Binky the dog is Arthur's classmate?

Btw, Binky is my favorite character...he gets all the best lines!

In the Arthur episode about Buster's asthma, why does no one in control think that Arthur should have said "it's my fault for showing him those dusty books" instead of "dirty" books? Wrong connotation people!!

Oscar the time lord! Awesome!

Not children's literature per se, but DS asked why in Swiss Family Robinson it describes the dad and son leaving with one hatchet, but later both using their hatchet to get through the forest. I was pretty amazed DS caught that, but yeah..I went back and sure enough something went wrong there. Maybe it got lost in translation. Who knows.

The ecosystem of the island seems impossible to me. Where is that island, anyway?