Menu

Would anyone share their AOPS sequence?

Number theory and Counting&Probability are two one semester courses that are not part of the typical sequence; people use these to fill extra time for students who are ahead in math.

Our sequence for DD:

Intro to Algebra in 7th (whole book, took over summer; you can spend more than one year)

she skipped 8th grade

Intro to geometry in 9th

Intermediate Algebra and Precalculus in 10th

Calculus in 11th

will use other book for multivariable calculus and differential equations in 12th

We did not schedule Number Theory and C&P even though she has plenty of time because she was aiming to take calculus based physics in 11th grade and needed to have completed calculus 1 before enrolling.

Our sequence for DS:

Intro to Algebra in 6th - go through algebra 1 portion, ch. 1-12

Intro to Algebra ch. 13-15 in 7th, first semester

Counting and Probability in 7th, 2nd semester (to wait for more maturity for more abstract algebra 2 topics)

Finish Intro to Algebra in 8th grade, start on geometry

we will see if he continues at his sister's pace.

My oldest:

7th grade - Introduction to Algebra (this took 12 months)

8th grade - started Geometry, burnt out, took a month off math, completed Counting and Probability, then started Geometry again from the beginning

9th grade - finishing Geometry, just started Number Theory, will review Algebra in the spring

The rest of the plan is:

10th grade - Intermediate Algebra

11th grade - Pre-calculus

12th grade - Calculus

So far with dd:

6th: Pre-Algebra; Intro to Algebra (ch 1-4)

7th: Intro to Algebra (through ch 12), concurrently with Intro to Counting and Probability (may leave ch 12-15 for later); Intro to Geometry (planned once through algebra portion, begin Jan/Feb)

Planned:

8th: Intro to Algebra (ch 13-22) concurrent with Intro to Geometry (finish)

High school is up in the air. If she is accepted into the math/science charter she will not need AoPS! If she chooses another high school I may or may not be afterschooling with AoPS. If she continues homeschooling we will definitely use AoPS but I haven't determined a sequence. I know she wants Number Theory, I would expect Intermediate Algebra/Precalc/Calc, and most likely Intermediate Counting and Probability. Currently she plans on studying math in college and would like to be a cryptanalyst :D

For my current 7th grade daughter - AoPS curricula, offline so far:

6th: Intro to Algebra (also used throughout the summer)

7th: Intro to Number Theory & Intro to Geometry

8th: Intro to Counting & Probability & Intermediate Algebra

9th: Pre-Calculus & Intermediate Counting & Probability

10th: Calculus

Somewhere in there I'd like her to possibly do some of the programming classes AoPS offers.

This year she has been also preparing for math contests on Fridays, so AOPS math subjects are only getting done four days per week.

Oldest DS is using Pre-algebra this year, so I went on their site to try to figure out a math sequence for him for jr. high and high school. I noticed they have 9 books for those grades. Which do you use and how do you schedule them?

I'm using AoPS with my two oldest kids at the same time. So far:

7th/8th - Intro to Algebra book chapters 1-13 (Algebra 1)

8th/9th - Intro to Algebra book chapters 14-end (Algebra 2)

(Pre-algebra wasn't available when they needed it. I may well use AoPS for my youngest and start him through the sequence earlier than I did with his brothers.)

If we stick with AoPS, Geometry will be next. I'm not sure that the oldest will have time for the number theory, counting, probability and other similar books. I'm trying to make sure he gets to calculus by senior year. Califlower may have time for some of these other books.

Reading through the AoPS descriptions of books and classes, it does seem that they expect the Intro to Algebra book to cover traditional Algebra 1 AND Algebra 2 topics. And that Geometry comes after the Intro to Algebra book. Not that this is the only possible pathway, but it is what I've gleaned is their design.

Reading through the AoPS descriptions of books and classes, it does seem that they expect the Intro to Algebra book to cover traditional Algebra 1 AND Algebra 2 topics. And that Geometry comes after the Intro to Algebra book. Not that this is the only possible pathway, but it is what I've gleaned is their design.

Just thinking out loud, does this mean that with AoPS, "Algebra 2" must always come before their Geometry, or is there flexibility to rearrange the sequence to the more traditional "Alg 1" (first half of book), then Geometry, then "Alg 2" (second half of book)? I suppose the answer is on the website someplace...

Just thinking out loud, does this mean that with AoPS, "Algebra 2" must always come before their Geometry, or is there flexibility to rearrange the sequence to the more traditional "Alg 1" (first half of book), then Geometry, then "Alg 2" (second half of book)? I suppose the answer is on the website someplace...

That is a good question. Let me know if you find out the answer. :bigear:

Thanks everyone! This is really helpful.

That is a good question. Let me know if you find out the answer. :bigear:

Thanks everyone! This is really helpful.

I believe they usually recommend that geometry should come after the other beginning level books as they consider it the most challenging of the lot.

One of the reasons for doing algebra in 9th, geometry in 10th, algebra 2 in 11th is so that students have geometry in time for the psat. Another is so that students have algebra 2 to review algebra before heading into precalculus. Neither of these should really be an issue with AOPS, as if a student is just starting algebra 1 in 9th it's probably not the best choice (for one thing, it wouldn't result in the completion of precalculus by the end of 12th grade, just algebra 3), and AOPS has algebra 3 to review algebra before precalculus.

As far as I recall, there was nothing in the geometry text that would have required any more math than quadratics, so covering AoPS Intro through chapter 14 and then switching to geometry should be possible.

BUT: the geometry text is very hard, very abstract concepts and hard problems, so for many students completing algebra 2 (i.e. chapters 15-22) would be beneficial for more maturity.

I believe they usually recommend that geometry should come after the other beginning level books as they consider it the most challenging of the lot.

As far as I recall, there was nothing in the geometry text that would have required any more math than quadratics, so covering AoPS Intro through chapter 14 and then switching to geometry should be possible.

BUT: the geometry text is very hard, very abstract concepts and hard problems, so for many students completing algebra 2 (i.e. chapters 15-22) would be beneficial for more maturity.

Thanks! That makes sense.

I actually emailed the company and they discussed my child with me and gave me their recommendations for her.

Pre Alg

Intro to alg (to ch 13, take a break and do)

Counting and Probability (12weeks)

Intro to Alg (finish)

Depending on the time you have it is safe to skip Intro to # theory and move on to

Geometry

Intermed Alg

Pre calc

Calc

This was based on my child. She began the Pre alg in the 7th grade and we school through the summer.

I put the Pre-alg on the shelf to look at other books (for about 6 months), but we are now going back to it and will try to get as far as we can though the series before she graduates.

If you really want advice, I found Mr Rusczyk to be very friendly and helpful and he responded to my emails in a timely fashion. He even told me how to download his videos onto my hard drive for those times I don't have internet access.

Lara

I actually emailed the company and they discussed my child with me and gave me their recommendations for her.

Pre Alg

Intro to alg (to ch 13, take a break and do)

Counting and Probability (12weeks)

Intro to Alg (finish)

Depending on the time you have it is safe to skip Intro to # theory and move on to

Geometry

Intermed Alg

Pre calc

Calc

This was based on my child. She began the Pre alg in the 7th grade and we school through the summer.

I put the Pre-alg on the shelf to look at other books (for about 6 months), but we are now going back to it and will try to get as far as we can though the series before she graduates.

If you really want advice, I found Mr Rusczyk to be very friendly and helpful and he responded to my emails in a timely fashion. He even told me how to download his videos onto my hard drive for those times I don't have internet access.

Lara

Thanks for the info. DS is doing algebra on ch 7, I ordered geometry planning to use after ch 13. But read through the book, I am not quite sure DS is ready. Think 12 weeks Counting and Probability will make more sense for us.