Menu

Anyone using Uncle Sam and You by Notgrass?

mothergooseof4

• 4 months later...

I have ATB in hand and I love it. The lessons are well written and cover a variety of topics about America not just the history. There are lots of great pics in it and assignments at the end of the lessons for writing, literature, mapping, etc. Their are nice samples on the website www.notgrass.com

I am going to use this next year with my 5th and 8th grade sons. There are 180 lessons, which is a very full curriculum, and I think you could also spread it over 2 years and use a curriculum like MOH v 3 (and 4 when it comes out!) to get some world history as well. On the next pass through with my youngest, that might just been my plan! The literature selections are on the younger end of the reading range so I will probably substitute different readers from my oldest since he has a high reading level. However, the recommended readers will be perfect for my 5th grader!

I've read through several of the lessons myself and they are interesting. I like this much better than Hakim's style.

We have been using it for about 5 weeks and dd11yo LOVES it! She does it almost completely independently. It is engaging and interesting. The additional lessons in the back about holidays are FABULOUS and thee are so many holidays that I didn't even know about. Lol! Anyway the activities are perfect, simple, and don't require lots of random supplies. Only complaint...the holiday lessons are divided into the back of both of the hardcover books, so since we are using the first book, the holiday lessons are in the back of the second book. It would be awesome if they were in the back of the document lit reader that came with the set. Anyway minor issue and its mostly due to my inconvenience. Otherwise I have been pleasantly surprised with Notgrass and am looking to incorporate more of their items into my homeschool. Very living text as well and I feel that it fits well into the Charlotte Mason philosophy especially since my dd doesn't like to read books so much. So this is like a textbook with a Charlotte mason feel which works beautifully! I was also surprised at the size of the books. They are HUGE! And they are hardcover. Also included is the additional reader which is beautiful. I also purchased the student book. The activities are great as they really review what was read in each lesson. We don't use the tests or the other optional question book. But we are reading the lit that goes along with some of the units.

• 11 months later...

We have been using it for about 5 weeks and dd11yo LOVES it! She does it almost completely independently. It is engaging and interesting. The additional lessons in the back about holidays are FABULOUS and thee are so many holidays that I didn't even know about. Lol! Anyway the activities are perfect, simple, and don't require lots of random supplies. Only complaint...the holiday lessons are divided into the back of both of the hardcover books, so since we are using the first book, the holiday lessons are in the back of the second book. It would be awesome if they were in the back of the document lit reader that came with the set. Anyway minor issue and its mostly due to my inconvenience. Otherwise I have been pleasantly surprised with Notgrass and am looking to incorporate more of their items into my homeschool. Very living text as well and I feel that it fits well into the Charlotte Mason philosophy especially since my dd doesn't like to read books so much. So this is like a textbook with a Charlotte mason feel which works beautifully! I was also surprised at the size of the books. They are HUGE! And they are hardcover. Also included is the additional reader which is beautiful. I also purchased the student book. The activities are great as they really review what was read in each lesson. We don't use the tests or the other optional question book. But we are reading the lit that goes along with some of the units.

Thank you for this review!  I am thinking about using Uncle Sam and You next year for my 8th grader.  Since you have some experience with the book, IF, he did all of the writing, literature, and other assignments, would I also need a separate writing and literature curriculum or would the assignments in this book be enough? The assignments seem a lot to just be for one subject. What do you think? 

My ds has been using Uncle Sam and You. I have been impressed. We are on the second book for the year (it is divided in to two text books). I decided to throw it in as extra with our Sonlight history, so ds was studying US history too.

Surprisingly, it is the only book where he often will come and tell me a fact he learned or show me a picture. I wasn't sure about adding the literature books in since we are doing Sonlight, but I am so happy we did because my ds has really enjoyed the books selected. I do not assign all the different choices for work. Of the assignment options we do the literature, I have the question/test book, and I have him do the fact finding questions which are great quick little research items for him. My ds does all of it independently.

I have been thrilled with Uncle Sam and You, a nice addition to our history studies. I know they are textbookish, but the pictures and attention to detail in selecting the pictures really adds to it. Notgrass is great and I plan to incorporate something from them next year. I was thinking Economics and started a thread on here last week but got no reviews. I just do not think they are as well known.