Menu

school profile for common app

Ruth in CA

So, I am working on my school profile for the common application. I homeschool under the umbrella of a PSP as required by the state of California. Do I include in my school profile things such as ethnic diversity of our PSP? Mission of our PSP? etc. Or do I make this an individual thing pertaining only to my dd and her schooling. What kinds of things go into a school profile anyway?:confused:

This is a tough one. I tried to focus on the philosophy of my homeschool in the profile, focusing instead on my son in the counselor letter.

I did not have an umbrella so I cannot help you with that.

Whether you include statistics is up to you. One of my homeschooling friends who proofed my materials thought it was not necessary and made my profile sound like a "public school". But I wanted to include statistics to demonstrate that the state of my local public schools was sub-par.

Ruth,

I'd be happy to send you (or others) a copy of the homeschool profile that I wrote for my daughter. Simply send me a personal message with your email address.

Categories in my homeschool profile included History (how we came to homeschool), Educational Partners (with information on tutors, co-ops, community college, and Pennsylvania Homeschoolers), Community (with information on our area and local schools), Graduation Requirements and Testing (for our homeschool versus that of our state), and so on.

Regards,

Kareni

• 1 month later...

Hi Kareni,

I would love to see a copy of your homeschool profile. I'm in the process of writing one for my daughter and there seems to be so much I could include! I can't figure out what to leave out, and it's getting what seems to be very long to me though I feel like there's more I could add.

I've been away from the forums for awhile and tend not to post, so I don't have enough posts to PM you (?) I did add you as a friend but still wasn't able to PM. Could you send a copy to me at grantchristianhomeschool@gmail.com?

Thanks & blessings,

Tasha

I tried to focus on the philosophy of my homeschool in the profile, focusing instead on my son in the counselor letter.

Whether you include statistics is up to you. One of my homeschooling friends who proofed my materials thought it was not necessary and made my profile sound like a "public school". But I wanted to include statistics to demonstrate that the state of my local public schools was sub-par.

I also chose to focus on homeschool philosophy in the school profile. I talked about how my son started high school with 100% of classes taken at home, and then as high school progressed, he transitioned to on-line/CC, and at the end of high school, he was taking mostly outside classes. I explained that this approach as a deliberate plan to help him become more independent.

I also had a paragraph in there on how I taught science courses, since he did most of these at home, and he was going into a STEM field.

I also talked about graduation requirements, and I explained the fact that I did not label any of his courses "Honors". I also did not weight grades in any way, so I wanted to explain that as well.

I chose not to include any data/statistics about our local area or local schools. I felt this information was irrelevant because my son did not use any of the local schools' resources. Also, on paper, the local schools look pretty good, so that data would not have supported our decision to homeschool.

I used the school profile as place to explain anything else that didn't fit well into other parts of the application.

HTH,

Brenda

Would it be worth looking at available school profiles from good public/private schools? Just to see what sort of info might be included?

Just for discussion's sake, here is one for a high school that is AP based (our local schools have either IB or AP, but not both). A lot of it isn't going to apply, like historical SAT averages or student demographics. But it might be worth mentioning things like if you or dh have advanced degrees (especially if they are in topics of interest for your kid). Another thing that I think colleges look for is a pattern of how many students go on to 2 year and 4 year colleges. So you might find ways of pointing out an emphasis on college prep if that is a focus.

Here is one for a private school with a long reputation for both academics and sports. Here's another one for a private school. Here's one for a science and math magnet.

Some schools were more willing to post the profile online than others. I was searching "[school name] high school academic profile" to come up with these. (Sometimes the linked page was a summary, so look for a link to a .doc or .pdf elsewhere on the page.

Would it be worth looking at available school profiles from good public/private schools? Just to see what sort of info might be included?

Thanks for providing those links, Sebastian. I know that I found examples helpful when I was writing my daughter's documentation.

Regards,

Kareni

• 3 weeks later...

When I looked at other school profiles, I noticed they "bragged" about their graduates' successes.

So that is what I did. I talked about our ds' older sister's academic success and current work as a L&D nurse at our local hospital (and her good test scores and GPA, etc.)

My main goal was to dispel any thoughts that our kids did school in their pajamas. :)