Menu

Worshiping or Worshipping?

Which spelling do you use?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which spelling do you use?

• worshiping
    • worshipping
    • other

Mrs. Mungo is correct that one P is the American preference.

However, my little phonics guru - the youngest - pointed out that this word does not fit any of the parameters for "exception to the rule" - he cited a whole bunch of malarchy about word origins and such - and therefore the "i" in "ing" would make the first "i" long and change the pronounciation of the word. His conclusion, not mine, is that worship falls under the same spelling rule as hop and hope. Hopping being something a bunny does, and hoping being what he does when he approaches me to ask for a piece of candy.

His final opinion, which he claims is based in pure reason, is that there should be two p's, but that the American habit of making the English language more complicated than it need be, has allowed a mere preference to trump logical rules. His exact words were, "I am strongly opposed to the single P."

There you have it from the 12 year old. :lol:

Faith - who knew a child could have such strong feelings about such an innocent topic?????

• Like 11

I've always used the double-consonant spelling for words like this. I'm not sure why, I was born and raised in Minnesota.

What about traveling? Or focused? This is a matter of British versus American spelling, not just a matter of what you choose. Worshipping is wrong, according to American standard spelling.

Faith, I sympathize with your child, there are things with which I disagree too. ;)

However, my little phonics guru - the youngest - pointed out that this word does not fit any of the parameters for "exception to the rule" - he cited a whole bunch of malarchy about word origins and such - and therefore the "i" in "ing" would make the first "i" long and change the pronounciation of the word. His conclusion, not mine, is that worship falls under the same spelling rule as hop and hope. Hopping being something a bunny does, and hoping being what he does when he approaches me to ask for a piece of candy.

His final opinion, which he claims is based in pure reason, is that there should be two p's, but that the American habit of making the English language more complicated than it need be, has allowed a mere preference to trump logical rules. His exact words were, "I am strongly opposed to the single P."

Faith - who knew a child could have such strong feelings about such an innocent topic?????

:lol: Love it!

I love that he thought it out so well. I too hate that we Americans seem to make somethings in english more complicated then it has to be, but have to side with Mrs. Mungo that we just have to deal.

• 2 years later...