Menu

Typing / Keyboarding program for Dyslexia

Ariston

I'm looking for a program -- either a book or computer based -- that would by suitable for a dyslexic child. My son really wants to learn to type. He needs a program that goes slow and progresses in a logical way, step by step. He gets left behind quickly with things like this if they move to quickly.

And if its a computer based program, it would need to give oral instructions as he would be too overwhelmed to read instructions.

Thanks!

Elena

My dyslexic dd is 9 and we tried a few typing program's last year but it didn't go well. A friend who graduated her homeschooled dyslexic dd recommended the Keyboarding Skills book by Diana Hanbury King and it was just what we needed. It goes slowly and in alpha order vs homerow keys first, etc. its focus is on not looking at the keys and multisensory b/c the kid says out loud the letter while they type. BTW This is the same woman who wrote the Writing Skills books with dyslexic kids in mind and that many here have used. For $20 or so, it might be worth a try:) for the keyboarding book. I am even having my 11 yr old do this book because she was still looking at her hands while typing vs touch typing. Going through this book slowly she is finally mastering touch typing. I will say the parent needs to supervise but it takes us only a few moments a day.

Good luck finding a good match for your dc:)

Paula

I just came on to post the exact same message for my 8 yo with Dyslexia. Does anyone else have any other recommended programs or can anyone also vouch for the two mentioned? I'm out of the country, so books are particularly expensive. Hoping for online recommendations, but send your best either way.

I taught DS to type when he was in 5th grade. I took some time reviewing ergonomics and then began with the BBC's free online program, Dance Mat Typing. (I pulled DS from a classroom to homeschool. He was somewhat shellshocked by the typing instruction he had received at school and had never moved beyond the f and j keys.)

After DS grew tired of the BBC program, I downloaded a program called Platinum Typing Instructor (typer island) for $10. I stressed accuracy over speed and set the typing goal at 5 WPM. That particular program has a practice area where you can repeat lessons, over and over, as long as needed. After 20min/day over 1 semester, he types 40WPM. He always practiced with the keyboard tray pushed in so that he couldn't see his fingers.

Work slowly and stress accuracy over speed. There are other programs designed for dyslexics, but I found that my son didn't really need that.

Edited by Heathermomster

• 2 months later...

If the ages in your signature are correct, I would use Read, Write, Type. You can buy a five year online license for about $25. :)

I just wanted to report back that we have been using Read, Write and Type and are soooo happy with it!! I had briefly tried the free BBC program and a few others, but they seem to teach the entire home row in one or two lessons which he was completely overwhelmed by.

Read, Write, Type goes one letter at a time, and has all phonics based words and sentences. He is astounded and proud of the progress he is making! So I just wanted to say thanks and also let anyone else know who is looking for a similar program. http://www.talkingfingers.com/

Elena

We just started Diana Hanbury King's Keyboarding Skills. I actually like it better than a computerized program we tried. I do have to sit with DS while he does it. It was written just for dyslexics and is very explicit. I like that she has your child say the letters as they are typed.

http://www.christianbook.com/keyboarding-skills-diana-king/9780838825648/pd/8825648