Menu

Skipping Rod and Staff English book(s)

knit247

This rambles a bit - ty for staying with me on this. Also, I did a search and came up with several posts about skipping a level with R&S grammar, but still have a question. DD#1 is newly 11 and in 6th grade. She is a very bright kid, and used to be 2 yrs. "ahead" in every subject. However... I am the type of person who wants every. single. box. checked, and because of that both of my daughters are now "behind". DD#1 just finished R&S 4 yesterday :glare: She is bored beyond belief with most everything we are doing in school, and I am afraid that I have all but killed any love she had for learning. FWIW, the only thing that I haven't regularly taught - science - she excels in and could easily do high school level. If given a choice, she would read about anything science-related all day.

I have a friend with a bright son (7th grade) who was very bored with his work. He asked to skip ahead in several subjects (they do not use R&S) and has done very well with it. She has suggested that I skip at least the 5th grade R&S and has really has encouraged me to skip the 6th as well. FWIW, DD#1 and her son think very much alike - both are viual-spatial, science-minded, and dx ADHD-Inattentive. Not sure if that is going to matter or not... But (I am almost done!) I read through my board search that R&S 5 is really not to be missed/skipped. WWYD?

My DD is in 7th, but just came out of public school with little to no grammar experience. I have been considering R&S too, and I also had read and thought I should start with 5. But then I started questioning it, and thinking about bumping up to 6. Reading this post helped me. I don't know about bumping your DD to 7 though, might want to consider 6.

This rambles a bit - ty for staying with me on this. Also, I did a search and came up with several posts about skipping a level with R&S grammar, but still have a question. DD#1 is newly 11 and in 6th grade. She is a very bright kid, and used to be 2 yrs. "ahead" in every subject. However... I am the type of person who wants every. single. box. checked, and because of that both of my daughters are now "behind". DD#1 just finished R&S 4 yesterday :glare: She is bored beyond belief with most everything we are doing in school, and I am afraid that I have all but killed any love she had for learning. FWIW, the only thing that I haven't regularly taught - science - she excels in and could easily do high school level. If given a choice, she would read about anything science-related all day.

I have a friend with a bright son (7th grade) who was very bored with his work. He asked to skip ahead in several subjects (they do not use R&S) and has done very well with it. She has suggested that I skip at least the 5th grade R&S and has really has encouraged me to skip the 6th as well. FWIW, DD#1 and her son think very much alike - both are viual-spatial, science-minded, and dx ADHD-Inattentive. Not sure if that is going to matter or not... But (I am almost done!) I read through my board search that R&S 5 is really not to be missed/skipped. WWYD?

There is no good reason for an average 6th grader to be in R&S 4. A fourth grader with no previous grammar exposure could start with that book.

I'd put that 6th grader in the 6 book, but definitely not the 7 book. The 6 book will cover the important parts of 5, and let it get reviewed enough that a savvy kid ought to do fine.

The 7 book on the other hand? That one assumes you already have mastery of many of those topics. It does spend awhile on review at the beginning, like all of them, but it would be breakneck speed for someone with 4 experience.

TY both for the replies. I know that I should move her to an appropriate grade level. I know that she could do the work. It's just that nagging voice inside that says, "You didn't do 5 - you didn't do 5..." I have to realize (accept?) that I am the one holding my DDs back because of my own hang-ups. So, tomorrow it's on to R&S 6 we go. I feel certain that the world won't end...will it ;)

TY both for the replies. I know that I should move her to an appropriate grade level. I know that she could do the work. It's just that nagging voice inside that says, "You didn't do 5 - you didn't do 5..." I have to realize (accept?) that I am the one holding my DDs back because of my own hang-ups. So, tomorrow it's on to R&S 6 we go. I feel certain that the world won't end...will it ;)

This post from a long-time user of all the levels of R&S English might help ease your fears a bit. :001_smile: