Menu

Halloween costume freak out!!! ~

My girls have absolutely no idea what to do for Halloween... well, they have several ideas, but can't decide. We have lots of parties with our church and friends for Halloween, and it's coming up fast!!! What are you kids going to dress up as? I need ideas. Help!!!

:lurk5:

still not sure if we are doing Halloween but N will be Batman, C a princess/Unicorn/ghost (she cant decide) and L will be a Lion.

IF we do it, it will be cheap. The lion will be a brown sweatsuit with a felt headband for the mane. Ghost will be a pillow case. Etc

What? Not possible! Everyone in our family dresses up! ;)

:iagree:

My youngest is making his own steampunk costume from all recycled materials and a lot of spray paint. lol Then we have the goddess Artemis and a faerie queen/LOTR style - all handmade costumes. Not sure what dh will be this year. And I have plans to surprise everyone and dress up this year. I've always talked it, but never made it so far as to actually do it. :D

We've done themed costumes the past couple of years (Phineas and Ferb, Harry Potter, The Last Airbender), but this year everyone was very adamant about a specific, unrelated thing, so we're just going with it. :)

we purchased 2 costumes cheap end of season last year. One is butterfly wings with matching skirt and a black leotard. I saw a beautiful mardi gras type mask at BigLots that will match that perfectly that I need to get. The other is black dress with purple skeleton print on it. DD sees it as a punk rocker and wants her hair wild and some purple hair strands which I still need to purchase. Her dance class is halloween and she'll get to wear a costume the week before and halloween day. She wants to trick or treat half the neighborhood change and then trick or treat the other half.

Some other ideas we've had for her. She thought about wearing her bathrobe, slippers and have curlers in her hair. Another simple costume would be a lumberjack plaid shirt, jeans, hat. I always liked wearing my dads clothes and making a hobo costume. We always had a witches hat and cape and a gypsy skirt, bandanna, oversized shirt.

DS wants a morph suit and wear a shirt and tie.

Ds4 wants to be Curious George; dd8 is going to be a disco ball; ds11 wants to be a punk rocker; ds10 hasn't weighed in yet, lol. The girls are too big this year. :crying:

Too big for Halloween? Not possible! :D I trick or treated until I was married (19 years old). After that, I took my little sister who was 6 years old until I had my own kids. Now our entire family dresses up. We're usually at Disney for Halloween.

I forgot to add that our family will be Star Wars characters this year. DD5 is Princess Leia, DD8 is Darth Vader, DD11 months is Yoda, my 16 year old nephew is Chewbacca, and DH and I are probably going to be Jedi's.

Two years ago our family was characters from Super Mario. The year before that, pirates. And the year before that, super heroes. Last year I was having a baby (Oct 23rd) so we didn't do much for Halloween last year.

M-girl is going to be Heidi. I found a dress on eBay :D

N-boy wants to be a robot, we need to make that, but I have some boxes, and we'll use some dryer vent for arms and legs. My SIL has some electronic stuff for the front panel.

R-girl is going to be the most perfect Raggeddy Ann ever. She already has the hair and freckles. I can't wait!

My DD wants to be the Lernaean hydra. Since she fell in love with a particular folkmanis stuffed sea serpent puppets as a baby and made it her lovey, and I started stockpiling duplicates so there was always one available (which worked until about age 2-after which she simply had a whole herd of "draggies"), my plan is to rig a frame to hold the draggies as "heads" next to her head, letting their tails be the "necks". I'm hoping to find a green leotard or sweat suit for her to wear. We also have the big folkmanis sea serpent that I'm going to attempt to attach to a hat.

Unfortunately, I need to get a move on-I'm running a once a month mythology club/class/review session for the kids planning to take the NME, and she wants to wear it for the October meeting-which is a week from today!

DS (11) is going to be a zombie sock monkey, DDs (8) will be Athena and Aphrodite, and DD (5) will be Little Bo Peep. I'm excited. I got lucky and found all of their costumes on ebay for cheap and they are all so nice and I don't have to do much work. I thought of dressing up, but I got outbid on my auction. :glare:

My 7 year old son LOVES, and I mean LOVES Pigs. It's the one thing he's never been for halloween, so this year he asked me to make him a flying pig costume so he can look like the pig from the app game Pig Rush.

I plan to buy a pink sweatshirt and pants and add a tail and a set of wings. He actually got a hat for his 6th birthday that looks like a pig head, so I'm all set there.

Neither of my kids is trick or treating, but they will dress up to staff the haunted house during our church's party. My son will be a vampire's slave/minion. We're thinking he'll start with some high school stereotype and then vamp it. Current front running ideas are AV club nerd and goth kid.

My daughter is playing the vampire slayer, and she's hoping to base her costume on Zoe (from Firefly).

My kids have to figure something out from the tons of dress up we have. I will help with accessories, but really my parents NEVER bought costumes. We just used our creative minds! Ha, one year I wore one of my Dads softball uniforms stuffed with pillows and went as a fat baseball player.

Mowgli will be Mary Poppins. Specifically when she is in the pastel drawing. Dr.jones is going to be Merida from Brave. Gambit changes her mind constantly. She had a lot of dress up and just got a lalaloopsy dress and wig for her birthday. I might get a red riding hood cape just in case she wants something new too. My mil makes costumes for local theater groups and will be designing and sewing everything. Last year I had a Glinda the good witch, my little pony, and Tinkerbell.

When my girls were that age, we made them giant butterflies. I took heavy cardboard and cut out wings as tall as them minus about a foot. I covered them in felt, then added felt shapes to make butterflies. We did a monarch and a blue something or other that is local. We attached them with shoulder straps, in the middle so they stayed open. When the girls pushed their elbows back, they "flapped" their wings. I dressed them in turtlenecks and leggings with antenna on headbands. Everywhere we went that year, everyone admired their costumes.

We also did puppies for sale one year. The older dd wore a puppy costume and a box so that it looked like she was in it. We wrote "Puppies for Sale" on the front and put in some toy dogs. Then I dressed the other dc as puppies, too, including ds who was an infant. We were in the paper that year because a reporter saw us at the art museum's alternative Halloween event and loved the costume.

Edited by angela in ohio

My 7 year old is going to be Wendy from Peter Pan. My 2 year old is going to be Tinkerbell (her choice!). I am begging my 4 year old son to be Peter Pan, because how fun would that be? He is pretty insistent on being SpiderMan though. We'll see, we do have a Peter Pan costume already!

DD7 (so about the same age as your elder daughter) will be going at Pippi Longstocking. Got a blue denim jumper and will put a few red patches on it (I am lazy so will use double-sided tape, but a more industrious person could sew them on). Then two different colored knee socks and we'll wire her braids so they stand out and paint a few freckles on her nose and cheeks. Easy and cute!

We just finished the book, so she's very enthusiastic about the idea.

Guest christinesousa12
My girls have absolutely no idea what to do for Halloween... well, they have several ideas, but can't decide. We have lots of parties with our church and friends for Halloween, and it's coming up fast!!! What are you kids going to dress up as? I need ideas. Help!!!

:lurk5:

We are attending a Halloween party on the 31st of October and my kids are very much excited! My daughter will be cat woman and my son will be an angry bird. I’ve recycled the karneval fasnacht that their grandma bought last year and I’m glad the outcome was great!

:grouphug:

Dd is going to be a Viking and ds is a going as a farmer.

My son is going to be a (steampunk inspired) British jungle explorer, pith helmet and all.

My daughter is going to be Pippi Longstocking.

I have pulled together about 90% of their costumes now, with the help of eBay.

I LOVE those costume ideas!

Diamond is going to be white Raven from Teen Titans for regular trick-or-treat, Andie from Pretty in Pink for a "dress as your favorite movie character because this is NOT a halloween party :glare:" homeschool dance, Batgirl for toddler story time at the library (she works there), and Princess Tutu for an anime convention.

SweetChild is undecided

BabyBaby is going to be Sif from the Avengers or Thor or whatever movie it was.