Menu

Where's the science written by/for Theistic Evolutionists?

kentuckymom

I posted a similar thread a few days ago, I was hoping someone could help me find a secular science curriculum that wasn't text-booky and I got some replies but they were mainly recommending large textbook companies (Houghton Mifflin, Prentice) that sell books and kits (expensive ones!) that can be used for homeschooling. I don't mind informing my children about creationism AND evolution, but I don't want anything that won't mention evolution, or tries to disprove it, as I don't believe that is the way to teach controversial subjects. Find accurate information and use your knowledge to make an informed decision.

I wanted a curriculum that was heavy into experiments and hands on activities, I think that is the best way to learn science. Hubby and I both have chemistry degrees, so this is one area we are not willing to settle on. We may end up piece-mealing together something from different sources depending on the subject. As of yet, I have not found anything that is not creation-heavy that isn't either WAY expensive or based on school-like texts. At least not for middle school aged kids. There are a few out there for younger kids. Off the top of my head I remember someone suggesting Real Science 4 Kids.

Like you, though, I am still in the information gathering phase and haven't pulled the trigger on homeschooling. It is something I have been thinking about for several years. I think it will happen in the next two months for my dd and after this school year ends for ds. DS is still in elementary school and has a wonderful teacher and truly is learning and is pretty happy. I have been jaded by the middle school teachers (dd is in 7th grade) and their attitudes towards the students and learning. I'm almost done choosing our curriculum, but science is the one subject that still eludes me.

Good luck, and let me know if you find anything that fits your needs!

RS4K is pretty lite, if you are wanting a rigorous cycle; also, the author is in the intelligent design camp and makes mention of it in her books. Each book only lasts a couple months. Quite an investment if you have to buy several books, several teacher manuals, and several lab books every year (on top of lab materials).

Have you check Oak Meadow? Secular and very hands on, it offers science all the way through high school.

Ellen McHenry has some really wonderful units out. Right now she has Elements, Carbon Chemistry, The Brain, and Cells available; she is completing a Botany Program. Each unit is full of activities, not school-ish AT ALL, cheap to implement and you can fit several into every year. Unfortunately you will have finished all her books if you use, say, three per year in 7th and 8th grade (each book lasts around 10 weeks), but it is a fantastic way to go until you find something you like for high school. Buying her hard copies you can easily recoup about 75% of the cost reselling it (goes pretty quickly on the boards it seems).

Also, check out Joy Hakim's "Story of Science" series. It is history and science - if you buy the text, student quest book, and the teacher quest book, you can easily use this as a rigorous, enjoyable science program (all three books make a physical science course).

I posted a similar thread a few days ago, I was hoping someone could help me find a secular science curriculum that wasn't text-booky and I got some replies but they were mainly recommending large textbook companies (Houghton Mifflin, Prentice) that sell books and kits (expensive ones!) that can be used for homeschooling. I don't mind informing my children about creationism AND evolution, but I don't want anything that won't mention evolution, or tries to disprove it, as I don't believe that is the way to teach controversial subjects. Find accurate information and use your knowledge to make an informed decision.

I wanted a curriculum that was heavy into experiments and hands on activities, I think that is the best way to learn science. Hubby and I both have chemistry degrees, so this is one area we are not willing to settle on. We may end up piece-mealing together something from different sources depending on the subject. As of yet, I have not found anything that is not creation-heavy that isn't either WAY expensive or based on school-like texts. At least not for middle school aged kids. There are a few out there for younger kids. Off the top of my head I remember someone suggesting Real Science 4 Kids.

Like you, though, I am still in the information gathering phase and haven't pulled the trigger on homeschooling. It is something I have been thinking about for several years. I think it will happen in the next two months for my dd and after this school year ends for ds. DS is still in elementary school and has a wonderful teacher and truly is learning and is pretty happy. I have been jaded by the middle school teachers (dd is in 7th grade) and their attitudes towards the students and learning. I'm almost done choosing our curriculum, but science is the one subject that still eludes me.

Edited by AimeeM

Brookspr: If you haven't already done so, I recommend checking out Rainbow Science. It's written by a Christian, but is reportedly pretty balanced. It appears to involve lots of experiments, and the set comes complete with everything you need. It's aimed and 7th and 8th graders. They also have a two year high school course called The Spectrum, and they're working on an upper elementary course. It may not be what you want at all, but it's probably worth looking at if you haven't already.

I think I'll end up starting off with just reading science books and doing some experiment kits that pique DS's interest. That's okay for lower elementary, where he is now, but, assuming we do make the leap to homeschooling at some point, I definitely want to find a solid curriculum that doesn't annoy me :).

Have you considered Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding?

Have you considered Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding?

A few WTMer scientists here use BFSU with success. I'm not a scientist, but haven't been able to find anything better as far as science curricula go. My favorite aspect of BFSU is that it teaches the four branches of science concurrently.

Edited by sagira

I don't want to be hit by eLightening, but in some ways I appreciate texts that teach things different than what I believe and want my children to know. Where else (but under the guidance of loving parents) do you teach your children how to navigate through world of thought than in the home?? I am a theistic evolutionist (I suppose that is the best description) and I want my children to see God's plan and His work in the world around them. I also want them to recognize that not everyone thinks/knows this. I want them to know how, when they are in the course of their daily lives (reading, listening, watching, discussing, participating, etc.), to evaluate, filter, and reconcile/ignore/dispute the information in front of them. What better way than to model it as we go through our studies? We read a text book that teaches atheistic evolution and here is our teachable moment!

Have anyone of you heard of Hugh Ross? He is a Christian Astrophysicist that believes in Old Earth and Big Bang. He is however a Creationist.

I read all his books while I was in college 15 years ago after he came as a speaker and really appreciated his viewpoint. I've always believed in the Old Earth but I loved hearing ways to more strongly tie that to Christianity.

I'm also a fan of BFSU here. We only just started but for a family with science backgrounds, it's been great.

I wanted to give you a couple of resources in case you find you need to create your own materials. I don't know of anything expressly creationist Old Earth let alone theistic evolution specific geared toward young kids. I am going to be looking to see if something is mentioned on this thread I missed though!

Someone mentioned Hugh Ross. http://www.reasons.org/ They aren't embracing of theistic macro-evolution for man anyway but they have a lot of great Old Earth science information on their site. They may not be correct about everything but they do take a strong scientific approach and are willing to change their material to reflect new discoveries even if it contradicts their previous views.

Old Earth Ministries http://www.oldearth.org/ expressly accepts theistic evolution as a valid view that doesn't contradict biblical texts. I used their http://www.oldearth.org/homeschool.htm powerpoints to start my own investigations and ended up with a book I made for my kids to use as we study this stuff because I couldn't find anything that incorporated God and Old Earth for their age. I used their material, Hugh Ross's material, and other secular resources as well. Of course the book reflects my own current understanding which might be a little different than yours but I used current scientific findings and it's modifiable. I can share the book I made with you if you'd like. I'm putting together science lessons around it right now (themes: big bang/solar system, matter, plate tectonics, etc.)

Edited by sbgrace

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations, even thought I wasn't the original poster of the thread. Rainbow Science looks like exactly what I want. Lots of lab experiments, not horribly expensive, it looks perfect! Thank you, thank you to everyone who posted. The last piece of the puzzle is complete!

I can see using the middle school version of BFSU as a supplement along side the Rainbow Science program. I also love the idea of the Bridge Math concept (from the Rainbow Science website) that teaches kids about the inter-dependence of math and science.

I can't wait to start using this with my kids! I think we will all love it. :001_smile:

I can see using the middle school version of BFSU as a supplement along side the Rainbow Science program. I also love the idea of the Bridge Math concept (from the Rainbow Science website) that teaches kids about the inter-dependence of math and science

I really like the idea of Bridge Math too. I have this in mind for ds when he gets to that point.

I read the FAQ's of Rainbow Science, and it's not secular. They state the following:

Do you teach evolution?

We familiarize the students with the theory of evolution so that they understand it and are adequately knowledgeable to discuss it with others. However, we reject it as a belief. We openly acknowledge God as our Creator.

I can live with that and use it as a tool to teach my kids both theories and have the discussion with them. I will probably use BFSU as a supplement to the Rainbow Science program so they can have a thorough explanation of evolution and make an informed decision based on what they know.

I wanted to give you a couple of resources in case you find you need to create your own materials. I don't know of anything expressly creationist Old Earth let alone theistic evolution specific geared toward young kids. I am going to be looking to see if something is mentioned on this thread I missed though!

Someone mentioned Hugh Ross. http://www.reasons.org/ They aren't embracing of theistic macro-evolution for man anyway but they have a lot of great Old Earth science information on their site. They may not be correct about everything but they do take a strong scientific approach and are willing to change their material to reflect new discoveries even if it contradicts their previous views.

Old Earth Ministries http://www.oldearth.org/ expressly accepts theistic evolution as a valid view that doesn't contradict biblical texts. I used their http://www.oldearth.org/homeschool.htm powerpoints to start my own investigations and ended up with a book I made for my kids to use as we study this stuff because I couldn't find anything that incorporated God and Old Earth for their age. I used their material, Hugh Ross's material, and other secular resources as well. Of course the book reflects my own current understanding which might be a little different than yours but I used current scientific findings and it's modifiable. I can share the book I made with you if you'd like. I'm putting together science lessons around it right now (themes: big bang/solar system, matter, plate tectonics, etc.)

I've perused both the sites mentioned, but I'm glad to have them linked in this thread. Thanks for offering to share your book! I'll send you a PM if I think it's likely I'll use it.

Targhee: I agree with you to a point. In fact, I just finished an apologetics study with a group of Christian grad students that I lead in which we read both a Christian apologetic and an Atheist apologetic and compared them. That's great for adults and older kids (maybe starting in adolescence). However, for a younger child, I think it would be nice to have something that meshes with our beliefs as much as possible.

I've been doing some research and review reading on Rainbow Science. It looks like their textbook hasn't been updated since 1998! Now I know that basic science doesn't change much (at least physics, chemistry and biology at the middle school level) but I think that's pretty old. I've also read several scientists reviews and they say there are numerous mistakes, such as ice melting being referred to as a chemical reaction, not a phase change. I don't want to have to review all of the material to check for accuracy, that's for sure.

I also looked over the list of lab materials and with a couple of exceptions everything is stuff you would have in the house, even the chemicals. So I may just order the lab book and use it as hands-on material supplementing it with either BFSU and/or something else.

Why is it SO hard to find a good science program? :confused:

I'm a Creationist (was on the fence recently) who just this year taught my dd evolution, creationism, and theistic evolution. I want her to be able to determine which view is right for her. Just because I'm a Creationist doesn't mean she will be.

As long as she (or anyone) believes in the core Christian tenants, then in my book, that person is a Christian.

I've been doing some research and review reading on Rainbow Science. It looks like their textbook hasn't been updated since 1998! Now I know that basic science doesn't change much (at least physics, chemistry and biology at the middle school level) but I think that's pretty old. I've also read several scientists reviews and they say there are numerous mistakes, such as ice melting being referred to as a chemical reaction, not a phase change. I don't want to have to review all of the material to check for accuracy, that's for sure.

I also looked over the list of lab materials and with a couple of exceptions everything is stuff you would have in the house, even the chemicals. So I may just order the lab book and use it as hands-on material supplementing it with either BFSU and/or something else.

Why is it SO hard to find a good science program? :confused:

I want you to do something (although you may already have done this). Go up to the search bar on the forum and type in "logic stage science". We have several wonderful scientists/homeschool parents who have written wonderful posts on this subject; there is a "shortage" of good science material for middle school aged children that can be implemented in the home. Many of them recommend a lot of reading, a couple of *big* experiments; moving into college texts for high school.

Also, food for thought, there are many online school options that offer science.

Mr. Q has a logic stage chem program that is supposed to be pretty good. Integrated is going to be more difficult. Finding a homeschool program that goes through high school is going to be even more difficult.

Kolbe Academy (Catholic classical) uses mostly secular texts (they insert religious discussion in their separate lesson plans; I know many a secular who use the program and use it well).

There is a Catholic program (Behold and See) that my husband thinks highly of. Right now they only go up to grade 6, but they plan on adding more yearly. It IS Catholic, so it isn't devoid of religion, but like most Catholic programs it is NOT creationist (most Catholics are theistic evolutionists).

Brookspr: Sorry you're having such a hard time! Rainbow Science looked like a great future resource for me, so I'm sorry to hear it's relatively out of date. Perhaps they'll make some positive changes by the time my DS could be ready for it.

It really does seem like the science resources available for homeschoolers are sparse compared with, say, the history or language arts resources. That is, unless you you're a creation scientist and only want your kids to learn that viewpoint.

Another source worth checking out that I recently found is the science published by Christian Schools international

http://www.csionline.org/christian_curriculum/updated_science_curriculum

It's written for Christian schools and would have to be adapted for homeschool. I don't know if I'd use it because I think I'd prefer something specifically written for homeschool, but it was recommended at either reasons.org or oldearth.org (I don't remember which one) as a potential resource for those wanting a specificially Christian science text with an old earth viewpoint. It is, however, mentioned that the Life Science text does not teach evolution. The curriculum has been updated since the article was written, so it's possible that could have been added.

If you're open to the idea of this kind of curriculum, it may be something more to look at.

This is not a curriculum, but a book I recommend for contrasting the old and young earth theories as graciously as possible is: Asimov's "In the Beginning". Here's the Amazon blurb:

"Creation. The beginning of time. The origin of life. In our Western civilization, there are two influential accounts of beginnings. One is the Biblical account, compiled more than two thousand years ago by Judean writers who based much of their thinking on the Babylonian astronomical lore of the day. The other is the account of modern science, which, in the last century, has slowly built up a coherent picture of how it all began. Both represent the best thinking of their times, and in this line-by-line annotation of the first eleven chapters of Genesis, Isaac Asimov carefully and even-handedly compares the two accounts, pointing out where they are similar and where they are different. "There is no version of primeval history, preceding the discoveries of modern science, that is as rational and as inspiriting as that of the Book of Genesis," Asimov says. However, human knowledge does increase, and if the Biblical writers, "had written those early chapters of Genesis knowing what we know today, we can be certain that they would have written it completely differently." Isaac Asimov brings to this fascinating subject his wide-ranging knowledge of science and history-and his award-winning ability to explain the complex with accuracy, clarity, and wit."

HTH, and blessings. I was blessed this morning when I read your loving reply to the posts on your thread!

:iagree: I think Asimov's book is a fantastic intro to this subject/idea.

Maybe, then, there is a need for a religious-based refutation of young earth creationism? In order to break the dichotomy of secular science with no mention of religion (except in some texts aimed at the k-12 market, something about creationism, or some sort of statement against creationism/the young earth movement [e.g., Galore Park's Junior History 1 which includes a discussion of Darwin and then briefly discusses young earth creationism and the conflict in 1 page]) and the religious books, many of which have been heavily influenced by YE people and their influential lobby.

Stripe, you may want to look at "The Evolution of Adam" by Peter Enns (same Dr. Enns who writes the Bible curriculum for Olive Branch Books):

http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Adam-The-Doesnt-Origins/dp/158743315X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350323946&sr=8-1&keywords=evolution+of+adam

It's definitely a mom/dad read, as opposed to one you could give a logic stage student, but it is a religious based refutation of a literal reading of Genesis.