Menu

Do you burn incense? If so, what kind?

Yep, daily. I burn Prana by HEM. I buy it by the case at Spices of India! :001_smile:

I love sandalwood! I'm going to look for it at the health food store today, if they don't have them I'll get it at Amazon.

Have you tried their patchouli? A few weeks ago I bought a few different patchoulis, but they aren't very good.

I love Sandalwood.

I also have real Frankincense that my DH brought back from the middle east that I like :)

Great gift!

I'm out of charcoal so I can't burn any frankincense today. I'm warming up some tamales though, and sage goes well with that. :001_smile:

I'm starting to relax... aaahhh.

Ooo! They look beautiful! http://www.shoyeido.com/

What do you recommend? Moss Garden looks good.

Autumn Leaves maybe? :001_smile:

I like both of those. Eternal Treasure and Cherry Blossom are nice, too. I definitely prefer their daily incense line over their 'magnifiscents' jewel series. It's more traditional and less perfume-y.

Yep! We love incense! DH hates floraly smells, so he doesn't like room sprays like Febreze, and he thinks candles leave a residue on everything. LOL I actually have a Nag Champa burning right now! We also love sandalwood. We each have completely different likes when it comes to scents, but we both like those two so we tend to stick to them.

Yep! We love incense! DH hates floraly smells, so he doesn't like room sprays like Febreze, and he thinks candles leave a residue on everything. LOL I actually have a Nag Champa burning right now! We also love sandalwood. We each have completely different likes when it comes to scents, but we both like those two so we tend to stick to them.

Yeah, Nag Champa is a staple. That reminds me! Sai Flora is good too! Mmm, thick smoke. :001_smile:

Definitely a staple! It is hard to find where we live now, so every time we go back to our hometown, we always stop at Whole Foods to buy 2 or 3 BIG boxes. I just love the smell of it! I would like to burn some different scents now and then (maybe when DH isn't home?? lol) but I have found that Nag Champa takes a LOT longer to burn than the other scents. The other ones burn in about 2 seconds and then the scent disappears right away, so it seems like a waste. Kwim?

I haven't heard of Sai Flora...I'll have to check it out! What kind of scent does it have? Earthy, clean, or floral?

Yep. We have Nag Champa sticks for the house and cones for the car. I also love the Shoyeido jewel series - emerald and amethyst are favorites; we like sandalwood - and I have random ones that I come across here and there.

I grew up with incense burning in the house. My husband teased me for years, but now I can tell when he had a rough night at work because he gets home smelling like Nag Champa. :D (which, by the way, does make a sticky residue in the car)

Oh, I forgot to mention...

My mom bought me this handmade stone sculpture of a dragon, and it is hollow with holes in the nostrils. You burn cone incense on this stone tray, and then put the sculpture over it, and the smoke comes out of his nostrils so it looks like he just got done breathing fire. LOL It's really cute!

Yep. We have Nag Champa sticks for the house and cones for the car. I also love the Shoyeido jewel series - emerald and amethyst are favorites; we like sandalwood - and I have random ones that I come across here and there.

I grew up with incense burning in the house. My husband teased me for years, but now I can tell when he had a rough night at work because he gets home smelling like Nag Champa. :D (which, by the way, does make a sticky residue in the car)

If you don't mind me asking, how do you burn it in the car? We are always looking for a nice air freshener in the car, and this would be perfect. At the moment we use cologne scented Yankee Candle (Mid Summer Night's Dream) vent clips b/c it is the only thing we could find that we like.

Definitely a staple! It is hard to find where we live now, so every time we go back to our hometown, we always stop at Whole Foods to buy 2 or 3 BIG boxes. I just love the smell of it! I would like to burn some different scents now and then (maybe when DH isn't home?? lol) but I have found that Nag Champa takes a LOT longer to burn than the other scents. The other ones burn in about 2 seconds and then the scent disappears right away, so it seems like a waste. Kwim?

I haven't heard of Sai Flora...I'll have to check it out! What kind of scent does it have? Earthy, clean, or floral?

Sai Flora is intense and smoky. Here's a good description http://wholesale.incensewarehouse.com/Sai-Flora-Incense--25-gram-pouch-Bundle-of-12_p_599.html

It smells like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_v9oQhVE2E

:D

I do love that song!! :lol:

Yeah, I grew up in an incense house too.

Happy memories!

I'm still cleansing my home with sage. :001_smile:

If you don't mind me asking, how do you burn it in the car? We are always looking for a nice air freshener in the car, and this would be perfect. At the moment we use cologne scented Yankee Candle (Mid Summer Night's Dream) vent clips b/c it is the only thing we could find that we like.

:bigear:

I can just imagine getting pulled over with a car full of smoke! :tongue_smilie:

One packet is from Greece (don't know what it is), another is from our priest (don't know what it is, but it's the most common used in one of our parishes), and my favourite is a rosewood incense from a monastery. I like the monastery's amber incense also.

I would like to get some sage as well.

Ooo... rosewood sounds nice! Where can I buy it?

Well, the Volvo is of a vintage where cars still had ashtrays, so there are some rocks in the ashtray, with a little ceramic cone dish in it. In the van (no ashtray), I have a brass dish with a little mesh lid that fits in the cup holder in the center console between the front seats. Like this but just brass.

I ordered some incense after reading this thread last night. I have a stupid question....how do you put it out if you have to leave the house or don't want it burning any longer?

It doesn't burn forever. 15, 20 minutes? So I rarely have to put it out to leave the house. I just wouldn't light it off if I was leaving shortly... Sort of defeats the purpose (in the car, I just toss it on the ground and grind it out with my shoe). If I suddenly had to put out a stick, I'd just run it under water. If I had to leave suddenly with a cone burning, I'd probably just take it outside.

Nag Champa, sandalwood, cedarwood and patchouli are regulars here. We prefer the woody over the flowery scents generally. My all-time favorite is olibano, which is a type of or related to frankincense I think. I like the Primo brand ruh khus, but I've tried over brands that say they are ruh khus and they don't seem to smell the same.

I've ordered online from http://www.incensemania.com and http://www.incenseontheway.com and had good luck with both.

Well, the Volvo is of a vintage where cars still had ashtrays, so there are some rocks in the ashtray, with a little ceramic cone dish in it. In the van (no ashtray), I have a brass dish with a little mesh lid that fits in the cup holder in the center console between the front seats. Like this but just brass.

That's really cool, thanks! I'll have to see if DH would be interested in getting something like that. I appreciate you sharing the link! :)

• 3 weeks later...
One packet is from Greece (don't know what it is), another is from our priest (don't know what it is, but it's the most common used in one of our parishes), and my favourite is a rosewood incense from a monastery. I like the monastery's amber incense also.

I would like to get some sage as well.

I bought some rosewood sticks last week at the health food store... :001_wub:

How have I never used this scent??!!

Thanks for the rec. :001_smile:

I would like to burn incense. I need something very light and not sweet. It seems to go right into my sinus area and create a headache if it is to strong. I think I would like a spicier earthy scent. What would you recommend? And where should I purchase it?

Thanks.

Late to answer... Maybe sandalwood? I buy mine from our local health food store and local shops in town (a beach town with funky little stores). My mom brings me incense from New Mexico, these are subtle and earthy too: http://www.inscents.com/

I stocked up last week on charcoal. On our nature studies Friday we watched some videos on Youtube about Frankincense and then burned a bunch of different resins and powders (Dragon's Blood always being a highlight! :001_smile:).

Kind of a fun activity!