Menu

DD 12 loves Sherlock Holmes

Guest Lorna

She reads and rereads these books. She has a complete boxed set. Does anyone have any suggestions of other books, perhaps by Conan Doyle, or someone new that she would really enjoy. She says she isn't particularly interested in the 'murder' aspect.

Many thanks,

Lorna

I really can't put my finger on what she likes about them. She talks about them a lot and they are always her 'fall-back' books. I think she enjoys the characters.

Dorothy Sayers is a great idea. I'll try those. She does like Agatha Christie but I don't think they are enough for her and she certainly doesn't reread them or talk about them in the same way.

She should try the Enola Holmes Mysteries. There are only two out so far and they have to be read in order. Enola Holmes is Sherlock's little sister.

http://www.kidsreads.com/reviews/0399243046.asp

The Missing Marquess

The Case of the Left-handed Lady

Guess what! I just looked up the series on amazon to make sure that I had the title of the 2nd book correct and found that the 3rd book was published a few days ago.

The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (3rd book - just published)

Robert Newman's "Case of the Baker Street Irregular", and the sequel, "Case of the Vanishing Corpse", are young adult mystery fiction set in the late 1800s, with Sherlock Holmes as a character in the background. Newman also wrote others in this series, such as "Case of the Threatened King", "Case of the Watching Boy", "Case of the Murdered Players."

There is also a spin-off book called: "Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars: Fall of the Amazing Zalindas" by Tracy Mack.

A totally different time period, but she also might really enjoy the Cadfael series by Peterson. A monk in the 1140s solves mysteries; great historical fiction along with the mystery aspect.

Best of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Calvin has devoured these. The short stories are a good place to start (there's a compendium called 'Lord Peter'). Calvin recommends Murder Must Advertise as a first novel - there are drug references and some violence, but it's all understated. I wouldn't recommend 'Who's Body' for a first book, even though it's chronologically the first - it has a gruesome crime and a very creepy villain. Calvin read that one last, then went back through and reread the canon.

My favourite Dorothy Sayers are the sequence between Peter and Harriet: Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon. I was very influenced by them as a young woman, learning the importance of marrying someone who was a really good match - intellectually more than physically.

Conan Doyle also wrote The Lost World, which Calvin enjoyed.

Laura

I will have a look at them all. I have a friend who loves both P G Wodehouse and Conan Doyle but I was not sure if it was coincidence. It sounds like they do make good companions.

I have never read Dorothy L Sayers although I have heard much about her.

It is so nice now Dd is old enough to read books I will enjoy too.

Thank you, thank you everyone.

I really enjoyed Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series, especially the short stories (I like the short stories much better than the novels.)

I also have a book called "Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes" that I picked up cheap at Barnes & Noble. They are written by different authors, with the same style and characters. Pretty good as well.

She reads and rereads these books. She has a complete boxed set. Does anyone have any suggestions of other books, perhaps by Conan Doyle, or someone new that she would really enjoy. She says she isn't particularly interested in the 'murder' aspect.

Many thanks,

Lorna

I've been reading Holmes since I was in junior high, too. A few years ago I bought a set of hardbacks, managed to lose one:( found a couple of replacements on ebay. I still read through the whole series every couple of years:D

I've been reading Holmes since I was in junior high, too. A few years ago I bought a set of hardbacks, managed to lose one:( found a couple of replacements on ebay. I still read through the whole series every couple of years:D

I understand know why there is a special Sherlock Holmes society. Perhaps you and dd should join :)

Ellie mentioned them years (maybe 6) ago on another board and I have been savoring them as a treat to read over the summer. I only have one left:( I tried reading one of Dorothy Gilman's other books and did not care for it very much, but have enjoyed Mrs. Pollifax.

Cheri

I finally went to ebay and bought almost all of the Mrs. Pollifax series in hardcover. My paperbacks are falling apart, lol.

I understand know why there is a special Sherlock Holmes society. Perhaps you and dd should join :)

Once I owned a two-volume set of annotated Holmes, all the works in those two volumes. I was surprised to see that many people think Holmes was a real person; the refer to the books as "canon."

I don't think I could take it that far, lol, but it would be kinda fun to join a Sherlock Holmes society :-)

I bought that big 2-volume set. I was so excited because I loved Sherlock Holmes when I was a child. My kids don't like it. One of my DS offered to edit the stories so they would be more enjoyable. Give me a break!

Once I owned a two-volume set of annotated Holmes, all the works in those two volumes. I was surprised to see that many people think Holmes was a real person; the refer to the books as "canon."

I don't think I could take it that far, lol, but it would be kinda fun to join a Sherlock Holmes society :-)