Menu

Pony tails in womens hair good or bad? One or two?

Tap

Pony tails in womens hair  

1. 1. Pony tails in womens hair

• No pony tails age 18-25
    • Only one pony tail is ok age 18-25
    • Two pony tails are ok age 18-25
    • -
    • No pony tails after age 25
    • Only one pony tail is ok after age 25
    • Two pony tails are ok after age 25
    • -
    • No one should bind thier hair! Free the hair!!!

I have a couple of grown women that I work with who regularly wear their hair in 2 pony tails (pig tails). It makes me wonder how other adults view pony tails.....so a poll is born. :D

Not a braid, just secured with a single hair tie.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I thought ponytails and pigtails were different. Ponytail = just pulled back, pigtail = braid.

And braids, especially single ones, are a classic hair style for women. Not sure why this would even be an issue. :confused: Unless they're using those elastics with the brightly colored bobbles on them or something?

I thought ponytails and pigtails were different. Ponytail = just pulled back, pigtail = braid.

And braids, especially single ones, are a classic hair style for women. Not sure why this would even be an issue. :confused: Unless they're using those elastics with the brightly colored bobbles on them or something?

Around here we've always called two ponytails, pigtails. One is just a ponytail. A braid is a braid.

Probably regional. They are both the same thing here. Hair tied back to the head, not braided. A braid, is just called a braid.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Around here we've always called two ponytails, pigtails. One is just a ponytail. A braid is a braid.

Same here, but I think some people call a single ponytail a pigtail if it's curly.

I don't think pigtails look professional, but I'm against putting arbitrary age limits on hair styles and lengths.

Interesting. According to Wikipedia, the word "pigtail" originally meant a braid, and dictionaries still define it as such -- but some Americans also use it to refer to a pair of ponytails. I wonder when that started?

So deeply not concerned about how anyone wears their hair.

Mine is really long and I keep it however I feel like - usually pulled back into a messy drooping half folded over ponytail. Sometimes I get crazy and keep it down or put it into a nice, high ponytail. :P

:iagree:

yep! I don't like to wear it down very often cause it just gets in my way, so I wear it up 90% of the time.

Two braided pony tails = pig tails

Two unbraided pony tails = dog ears :D

Nobody with two digits in their age should have more than one pony tail!!

That's what we say here too...except its doggy ears. :D

I practically live in a ponytail (just one). Seriously.

I have thought about trying the pigtail thing, but i just don't think I'm quite cute enough to pull it off. Now my dd...she rocks the pigtails!

I think pigtails can look quite fetching! The lady who makes my soap must be 65, and she wears her hair in charming pigtails. I don't much favor the one-pony-on-the-side-of-the-head style (the Three's Company look), but to each her own, right?

Now, are braids and plaits the same things?

I've been seeing more adult women wearing braided pigtails, or I don't know if that's what they're called. Two braids, each on half the hair. The funniest one was someone I saw in the children's section of the library this summer, who vaguely looked like a teenish babysitter, with capri roll up jeans and the aforementioned braided pigtails plus a baseball cap, whom I overheard telling a little boy she would be his teacher in the fall.

Now, are braids and plaits the same things?

yes.

I think this, too. Pigtails are either braids, or if you have short hair, those tiny little ponytails that stick out.

I am well above 25 and I wear a ponytail every day when I run. I am not yet ready for my mom's "wash & wear" hairdo. My dh loves my long hair so I do what I have to to keep it manageable. It never occurred to me that others might judge my ponytail!

I have also seen older, professional women with very elegant looking ponytails.

And I'm not sure what to click on in the poll. I think any number of ponytails are fine at any age!

Edited by OC Mom

I agree with this:

I wear my hair in a ponytail all the time and don't see why it would be a problem.

I occasionally will wear pigtails. I have very long, thick hair if that matters at all.

and this:

I wouldn't wear pigtails to work, but to hang out or work out in I don't see a problem with it at any age.

I'm in the mid-west and this is our hair style naming conventions also.

Also, if wearing a ponytail past 25 is wrong then I don't want to be right. :001_smile:

Well I wear my hair in a ponytail daily. I love long hair but hate my hair getting in my face so it is tied back everyday so I can tend to the kids, school and chores without a face full of hair especially lately in this wind. I do think pigtails on someone past the age of 18-19 to look ridiculous though. I don't care what others do with their hair, many styles I think are silly, and many wonderful and here I am with my hair simply tied back. It's just hair so who cares kwim

I'm a ponytail (just one) girl on a regular basis, but this spring I cut my hair short (just below the ears).

I pulled it back into pigtails (or two ponytails, if you prefer) for a while, because that's the only way the hair would stay up/out of my face. THEN someone mentioned that whoever the guy is in 50 Shades of Grey asked/told whoever the girl is to wear her hair that way. :001_huh: Haven't rocked the pigtails since then. No idea if this was accurate information, btw, but it certainly affected my hair-wearing!

Pigtails (2 pony tails) can be very different looks depending on if they are just gathered at the sides or worn up high and tight (sticking out from above the ears). I associate the latter with younger girls.

I don't care either way, though. Whatever makes them happy. I occasionally wear my hair in low pigtails. My dh likes it, so I don't plan to change anytime soon. :001_smile: I am 32 btw.

i wear my hair almost daily in some type of single ponytail high, low, side you name it and I'm 42

I will also wear my hair in southern pigtails which are the 2 ponytails around the house. My DH still like them but I haven't worn them in public since my late 20's to early 30's and they were stylish with the other women my age then so it was a trend:tongue_smilie:

Probably regional. They are both the same thing here. Hair tied back to the head, not braided. A braid, is just called a braid.

Mmm, no, it's not a regional thing. I live up the road from you and braids are indeed pigtails. Two of which, in a grown woman, is a no go. Same is true of two pony tails. Don't go there as an adult.

I wear low, braided pig tails, sometimes. The reason is mainly because I need to pull my long hair back away from my face because of something that I am doing (or am just plain hot). Due to the fact that I suffer frequently with migraines, I cannot always tolerate the weight of a single pony tail. I typically do not go out in public (my own house/yard doesn't count) with pig tails, but I also do not go out in a pony tail either. I don't care what people think. I don't like the way I look with my hair pulled back away from my face. My children and husband do not mind. As stereotypical as it is (I'm Native American), it is just a necessity when I have things to do that my long hair cannot be in the middle.

Personally, I have not and will not judge any older woman who chooses to wear pony or pig tails. Go for it. It's your hair. One cannot live life worried about offending someone else's sense of taste - in something so trivial as how one pulls their hair back away from their face. I'm not going to chop my hair off because some people think someone my age shouldn't wear long hair, so why should I care if another older lady likes her hair in one or two braids/ponies?! Just my opinion.

Personally, I have not and will not judge any older woman who chooses to wear pony or pig tails. Go for it. It's your hair. One cannot live life worried about offending someone else's sense of taste - in something so trivial as how one pulls their hair back away from their face. I'm not going to chop my hair off because some people think someone my age shouldn't wear long hair, so why should I care if another older lady likes her hair in one or two braids/ponies?! Just my opinion.

:iagree:

So deeply not concerned about how anyone wears their hair.

I am. I'm deeply, deeply concerned. I lose sleep over it, in fact.

Or not.

I think it goes without saying that no one ~ including the original poster ~ is "deeply concerned" about this. Just making conversation, wondering what others think, yada yada yada.

I love my pigtails! Actually I have been wearing my hair in two braids a lot lately because it is long right now. But when it was shorter I would wear it in two low pigtails, sometimes with a hat. I think it is cute! I wouldn't wear it if I was a lawyer or something, but hanging out at the park? Yeah!

I hope someday to be a gray-haired grandma artist with pigtails. :D

I think shoulder length hair in two low pony tails looks funky and fun. I have friends in their late thirties and early forties who wear their hair this way sometimes and I think they look great. Now high up on the head a la Cindy Brady, not so much. I do think that look should be reserved for little girls.

My hair is very long, so it ends up in one pony tail most days. Sometimes I do braid it in one or two braids. I actually prefer two braids, but I end up looking like Melissa Gilbert's Laura Ingalls, which is a bit silly for a woman my age. But around the house, swimming or for casual occasions I will sometimes do it anyway.

Interesting. According to Wikipedia, the word "pigtail" originally meant a braid, and dictionaries still define it as such -- but some Americans also use it to refer to a pair of ponytails. I wonder when that started?

:iagree: Another regionalism, I guess! Ponytail here is hair pulled back in an elastic, two would just be two ponytails. Pigtails = Two braids. One braid is just a braid. I've never heard pigtails refer to anything bu two braids.

Oh, and I don't care how people do their hair.

I practically live in a ponytail (just one). Seriously.

:iagree: I purposefully grew my hair long enough to wear in a ponytail. Then when my hair got too long, when I would accidentally pull my hair when I leaned against it on the couch, I got it cut to be a shorter pony tail again. I know there are women out there who think a pony tail looks bad on women over 40, but I really don't care what they think. I don't check with any fashion police before I step out of the house. I assume I'm just not welcome into the fashion club. I even wear... :ohmy: mom jeans!! :tongue_smilie:

Would a pony tail be the standard hair style for the stereotypical homeschooling mom uniform, the denim jumper? :lol:

Here's a question for you. How on earth do you get even get your hair into a braid? I managed to do just so-so braids on my girls' hair, but I don't have the coordination to braid my own hair. Is it braided from the back, or is the hair pulled around to the front and braided where you can see it to braid it? If I could figure it out and it actually looked good, I would wear it like that in public. I think the style is pretty, as long as they aren't sticking out the sides of the head like antennae.

:iagree: Another regionalism, I guess! Ponytail here is hair pulled back in an elastic, two would just be two ponytails. Pigtails = Two braids. One braid is just a braid. I've never heard pigtails refer to anything bu two braids.

Oh, and I don't care how people do their hair.

That's the classification system we've always used, too.

I think the 'do should fit the context. e.g. when I wore a suit to work, my hair was always in a neat bun or twist. Now, it's usually in a messy bun, a more casual twist, or a ponytail. It I'm teaching, it's in a messy, loopy ponytail almost on top of my head or, when it was shorter, two ponytails, but that's because we always do mat work of some kind and a ponytail right there on the back of my head makes it uncomfortable.