Menu

Science curriculum suggestions?

Mukmuk

DS is an avid reader and knows plenty of science this way. He's into the Horrible Science series, a bunch of other similar looking ones that we found at the bookstore, DK books, and science magazines that have come our way. I have to admit that I've had bouts of industry and inspiration with regard to experiments, followed by long periods of inertia, and these are catered very much to the interest of the day/week. He's very math and science oriented and has picked up a lot by observing and experimenting on his own. But he has gaps because we've never actually done any grade based curriculum. Going through one now will be largely repetition however.

I've read through the archives and see the logic of eventually starting on highschool/college type texts. But I can't help wondering- will he be missing out on the fun pick-and-shovel, hands on experiments that the elementary curriculums promote?

Is there a good curriculum to provide this intermediate bridging? I was looking at Science Fusion (it's on sale at HSBC). How is this working for the families using it? Is it fun at the grade 6-8 levels? The attraction for me is that it appears quite hands-off :). Any other recommendations will be appreciated :).

BTW, he just started on Derek Owen's Physical Science course and is loving it.

Edited by Mukmuk
Added the last sentence.

DS is an avid reader and knows plenty of science this way. He's into the Horrible Science series, a bunch of other similar looking ones that we found at the bookstore, DK books, and science magazines that have come our way. I have to admit that I've had bouts of industry and inspiration with regard to experiments, followed by long periods of inertia, and these are catered very much to the interest of the day/week. He's very math and science oriented and has picked up a lot by observing and experimenting on his own. But he has gaps because we've never actually done any grade based curriculum. Going through one now will be largely repetition however.

I've read through the archives and see the logic of eventually starting on highschool/college type texts. But I can't help wondering- will he be missing out on the fun pick-and-shovel, hands on experiments that the elementary curriculums promote?

Is there a good curriculum to provide this intermediate bridging? I was looking at Science Fusion (it's on sale at HSBC). How is this working for the families using it? Is it fun at the grade 6-8 levels? The attraction for me is that it appears quite hands-off :). Any other recommendations will be appreciated :).

BTW, he just started on Derek Owen's Physical Science course and is loving it.

Hi Mukmuk! (waving!). :D

Giving your question a bump hoping others will relate experiences about Science Fusion.

About the bolded, I've felt and still feel the same way although at times I also feel gung-ho about gaps sorting themselves out at some point or other when the need is there. We've gone ahead with more math-intensive science but keep watching lots of docus and reading at all levels whenever possible.

As for the experiments, we do these on an as-needed basis using elementary/ middle school living books so he doesn't really miss out in that area. The Happy Scientist is a good investment for us for this reason too.

I handle the hands-on, fun elementary school stuff by having my DD do science classes with kids her age (well, multi-age ones designed, for, say 3rd-6th grade at age 6-7) that ARE the hands on, fun stuff, but then taking those concepts and reading higher level material. Between various resources, she usually gets at least one couple of hour hands-on lab day a week SOMEWHERE, So, she'll still get to make the paper model to illustrate sea-floor spreading or make buildings and shake them apart on an earthquake table, but she's getting more depth in her content.

I feel kind of guilty posting this again, but it at least a different board :)

Here's a link to the blog I just posted on what we are doing for science this year-- I came up with a kind of hybrid for bio this year-- I lecture, they read and outline, they do labs, they do some independent reading, then they get a chance to research and read about something that grabbed them during all of that during the week, and present what they found to the rest of us.

You could easily adapt this plan to any set of resource books, another subject, or another schedule; it isn't dependent upon any special setup.

(that's the nutshell version; here's the blog, with an example of what an actual week looks like):

Biology: Fostering Exploration in a Classical Model

These are not gap-proofers, but more in the way of mucking-about fun:

GEMS units are marvelous, but a bit of work. I think you can use them on age-level even for a quite accelerated child, because they are just plain fun (and often included ideas for "differentiating" a bit higher or lower). We've also had some fun with the suggested literature, which is a bit off the beaten trail and has included some real treasures.

However, it is NOT hands-off.

TOPS is a little less marvelously fun, a lot better-designed for the homeschooler. I gather the electronics and lentils units are quite good.

On the gap-proofing AND hands-on fronts:

The Library Video Company, via their Schlessinger offshoot, has several series of science videos designed for K-4, about 25" each. This will probably undershoot the child's cognitive abilities; but even I often (not always) find them interesting, and each video includes a hands-on demonstration that is actually relevant and demonstrative. You can also download the instructions for the projects from the company's website. Here's a URL for a listing -- you'd want the "______ for Children" series for this, and the science topics; they also have history & math &c. in the "for Children" line. I plan to use these videos to provide a gap-proofed (or at least gap-resistant) curriculum spine to our less-structured science adventures. I get them mostly through the library, or sometimes (I did this for the energy series) during a 50% sale. Note that these are old-school, NOT glitzy. Too expensive to buy for a science program, unless you have a very generous budget -- I could never manage it w/o our interlibrary loan program -- though many can be rented through A+ Educational Video (also not exactly cheap, but more affordable).

ETA: are you well-equipped with basic shop stuff -- drills, saw, &c? There's Backyard Ballistics ...

ETA#2: for just good boy fun, have you looked at the Dangerous Book of Boys? I twigged onto it recently when somebody here suggested it as a CM handicraft resource, but Button (just 7) is a bit too young for it yet.

ETA #3: It occurs to me that for a good pre-high school curriculum, CPO might fit the bill; if you have a very generous budget for science, the materials can be purchased, but if not there are various threads and blog-posts about working through the curriculum w/o spending so much, and what can be skipped experiment-wise. But like my other suggestions, this is hands-on for you, so probably not ideal ...

Edited by serendipitous journey

These are all wonderful suggestions! I have to confess, the idea of doing less is rapidly dissipating from my mind. (Yes, that's what I had in mind when I looked thought the Science Fusion web page :tongue_smilie:). But I'm all inspired now!

I haven't heard of so many of these resources like CPO and GEM. Even Ellen McHenry and the Happy Scientist have expanded their offerings since I last checked! I actually have BSFU 2 *blush*. We loved it but it felt like so much work. I should draw upon it though.

Nittany Jen, your blog is awesome! It's giving me a lot of ideas!

Alright, now on to the planning. Since DS likes Derek Owen so much, I'll use his course as a spine and look through these resource to support it.

Thanks so much!

Mukmuk,

I have written extensively about science education on the logic board, especially these 2 threads: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=263107 where I describe numerous science investigations we have done and put forth a number of questions as to the goals of hands on experimenting, and http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=361740 where I detail this year's 10-week long investigations on longshore transport of sand and factors affecting soil depth.

There is a LOT you can do without a curriculum.

Edited by lewelma

Squealing pocket is right! Quark. I looked at library video company and did some squealing myself :o.

The great courses look wonderful! We haven't tried it as DS hasn't taken to TV (I think it's his CAPD). But things keep changing in that front :001_smile:, and he actually likes documentaries these days. So I'll have a look, Tks!

Edited by Mukmuk

Ruth, the thread you posted is *awesome*!! I've only read about halfway and am just bowled over. I need to copy down in a continuous format and imbibe the gist of it. Yes, real science is messy and answers aren't (shouldn't) always be handed on a platter.

Thanks for the inspiration! Will be working on this and supplementing with the other wonderful suggestions that the other posters have suggested. The 8mth cycle sounds doable as opposed to weekly mayhem in my home. :willy_nilly:

Ruth, the thread you posted is *awesome*!!
Ooooh, I love new people to the board. Thanks!

I've only read about halfway and am just bowled over.

Don't know which of the 2 referenced threads you are reading, but on the "shoot me now" thread, Sadonna and I really got a good discussion going by the ninth page. So don't stop early.

Also, if you want to read more about my approach to science, there is a tag called "science with Ruth" that someone made that brings together about 10 threads that I have contributed to.

Ruth in NZ

I handle the hands-on, fun elementary school stuff by having my DD do science classes with kids her age (well, multi-age ones designed, for, say 3rd-6th grade at age 6-7) that ARE the hands on, fun stuff, but then taking those concepts and reading higher level material. Between various resources, she usually gets at least one couple of hour hands-on lab day a week SOMEWHERE, So, she'll still get to make the paper model to illustrate sea-floor spreading or make buildings and shake them apart on an earthquake table, but she's getting more depth in her content.

This is our approach right now (DD is six).

Ruth, the thread you posted is *awesome*!! I've only read about halfway and am just bowled over. I need to copy down in a continuous format and imbibe the gist of it. Yes, real science is messy and answers aren't (shouldn't) always be handed on a platter.

:willy_nilly:

:iagree: Ruth's science is marvelous. We're hoping to grow into it as Button outgrows his insanely mercurial & intense phase. They do grow out of that phase, don't they? :tongue_smilie:

Squealing pocket is right! Quark. I looked at library video company and did some squealing myself :o.

For any thread-readers interested in the library video company stuff -- which I can't rec. buying sight unseen, it is $$$ and there is some variability in the quality, and it's just not feasible to stock a personal supply of these things -- if your library system doesn't carry [many of] them, several can be rented from A+ Educational Video. Their subscription rates are not cheap, either, but are more-affordable.

Edited by serendipitous journey

I have been looking at the Ellen McHenry stuff too. My kids are too young but they are cheap in download form and designed to be completed over 8 to 10 weeks so if there is one that fills one of your gaps why not try. I think you can download a sample too. Mr Q has just released an advanced which is the first in a series. There seems to be too many choices.